Premium Member
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL

1 edit

AVonGauss to IPPlanMan

Premium Member

to IPPlanMan

Re: IPPlanMan considers the business tier

That would seem to be your next logical course of action if your needs exceed 250 GB per month.

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman
join:2000-09-20
Washington, DC

1 edit

IPPlanMan

The business tier resembles an upsell... like Supersize fries...
AVonGauss
Premium Member
Boynton Beach, FL

1 edit

AVonGauss

Premium Member

said by IPPlanMan:

The business tier resembles an upsell... like Supersize fries...
Of course it is, an up-sell for a super-sized demand. However, more to the point, you have an option today, subscribe to the business service which you are electing not to exercise. So is the case you really don't have the need today or that you just prefer to complain frequently to your peers?

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman
Washington, DC

2 edits

IPPlanMan

So is that the reason that the 250GB cap is where it is? Facilitates the upsell? We can't seem to get an answer from Comcast on the how or why 250GB was picked, or what makes it constitute excessive use. My whole point is that Comcast's residential tier capacity is being outpaced by the technological capabilities of the end equipment. The need is growing... but as Sofa said, "market differentiation". Keep the people capped at 250GB, and they'll think that's all the internet is... TV is for TV, Don't use Netflix Streaming... Instead use OnDemand/Premium channels.

It's not "differentiation" as much as it is "channeling" growth on Comcast's terms and service products. The cap lets them do that without really having to compete.
28619103 (banned)
join:2009-03-01

3 edits

28619103 (banned)

• Many ISPs are picking a threshold as a commercial differentiator. Comcast is probably the highest with a threshold.
• I and many people use all the services you specified including TV streaming within the cap. I believe Netflix would probably say they are very successful within all the "excessive limitations" you claim.

As usual you twist others words, state corner cases, make speculative statements and fail to answer the questions posed.

Should you pay more if your service usage costs more than what you are billed for? Or should all the "email checkers" fund your usage?
AVonGauss
Premium Member
Boynton Beach, FL

1 edit

AVonGauss to IPPlanMan

Premium Member

to IPPlanMan
No, its the service offering available to residential customers. Comcast does provide an option for customers who have a higher requirement for bandwidth, their business service offering which you can subscribe to even at a residential location. The other option is to find another provider, which as you state you are in DC might be Verizon FIOS in the next couple of years. However, I also would be willing to bet by the time that installation option is available to you Verizon will have some sort of mechanism in place to differentiate their residential offering with residential usage patterns from their business offering with their typical usage patterns.

You are claiming Comcast is wanting to -force- people to remain with their traditional video product, but ironically, out of the video providers in the US Comcast happens to be the one making the largest effort to give people a certain amount of choice. Granted, its not quite open access or total choice yet, but it is closer to that than any other provider I believe.

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman
Washington, DC

IPPlanMan to 28619103

to 28619103
said by 28619103:

Should you pay more if your service usage costs more than what you are billed for? Or should all the "email checkers" fund your usage?
That's not what I said at all.

Please show me how someone's internet binge costs you. Comcast already has different speed/cost tiers for users. Problem is that the cap is no higher for the 50/10 than it is for the 1/384.

Some honest questions:
1) Do you believe that you already pay too much for HSI?

2) I think answer to your questions/concerns is "metered" billing if you get the feeling that you're paying for the use of thers. Do you support that for Comcast HSI?

Sunny
Runs from Clowns

join:2001-08-19

1 recommendation

Sunny

Are you wanting to discuss something about metered billing not already covered?

From the first post:

Metered Billing?
»Metered billing system, discussed many times
»If metered, What cost would you pay?
»Metered billing again
Sunny

2 edits

1 recommendation

Sunny to IPPlanMan

to IPPlanMan
said by user=IPPlanMan :

Problem is that the cap is no higher for the 50/10 than it is for the 1/384.

Hashed to death. Please, let's not keep going over and over this. This issue bothers you, even though it has been pointed out repeatedly:

There are different prices for different speed tiers. Higher prices buy you greater speed, not more bandwidth. If you want more bandwidth, it is available at yet a different price. As a consumer, I have choices. So do you. Talking about it forever in this topic isn't going to change that.

Is there anything new on this aspect of the topic?
said by IPPlanMan:

Some honest questions:
1) Do you believe that you already pay too much for HSI?
My honest answer is that I wouldn't pay the price if I didn't think it was fair. Short answer: no
WernerSchutz
join:2009-08-04
Sugar Land, TX

WernerSchutz to IPPlanMan

to IPPlanMan
We pay too much for HSI depending on what is provided. Speed is fine but the cap is not. I have no issue paying more for the business class, which I do, given the lack of competition and available alternatives, HOWEVER, the fact that that people have been kicked off even after trying to upgrade to this higher class service is an issue, not to mention our buddy from the "abuse" department and the lecture.

good one
@comcast.net

good one

Anon

No one is forcing anyone to use Comcast. If you don't like their terms or the way they do business, then don't use their service.