how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

REP

@comcast.net
reply to Tryggr

Re: [Connectivity] Stuck on Comcast's walled garden

I work for comcast I am CAE in chsi department, you need try turn off all PC turn off the modem if normal and not a emta that take off the powercord, and router same thing take off the power, turn on modem first sync cable light then power on router, after that turn on pc let bootup all the way. If you have reset the router setting to factory default still this does not work get another router its simple not issue from comcast if you get online after bypass the router. Reset the IE browser helps sometimes too.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:10

1 edit
reply to beachintech

said by beachintech:

If it works directly connected to the modem, the account is setup properly. Why would it need to be rebuilt if he has access?
I stated "MAY". And, I've seen stranger things happen bud...

Can you tell us exactly what the issue may be ? How can router hardware itself cause this ?

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium
join:2008-01-06
kudos:5

said by EG:

said by beachintech:

If it works directly connected to the modem, the account is setup properly. Why would it need to be rebuilt if he has access?
I stated "MAY". And, I've seen stranger things happen bud...

Can you tell us exactly what the issue may be ? How can router hardware itself cause this ?
I've seen this exact problem in the field many times, sometimes even with our own routers we install if it's connected before activation, and it's not a case for an account rebuild. If no device could get online, then I would agree.

Cisco router may be a DNS proxy and still holding all the info in it's cache. Don't know how it's configured, but by default the 1841 in my garage does this. You have to clear it out after activation to remove the wall garden redirect. Flushing all DNS info out of the router, and forcing an IP refresh should solve his problem. Can't tell you the exact problem as I am not there to troubleshoot it.

Mind reading and teleportation hasn't been perfected for us comcast techs just yet .
--
Tech at the Beach.
I speak for myself, not my employer.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
Union, NJ

I hear ya'. Also the problem may lie in the system itself when it sees the different hardware MAC address of the router.

NOCMan
MacChatter
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Colorado Springs, CO
reply to Tryggr

sh run

copy to notepad

write erase

reload

skip initial config dialogue

cut n paste config back in.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
Union, NJ

said by NOCMan:

sh run

copy to notepad

write erase

reload

It may benefit all readers if you could please expand on what that means.

Tordek
Make the outages go away
Premium
join:2009-09-07
Great White
kudos:2

said by EG:

said by NOCMan:

sh run

copy to notepad

write erase

reload

It may benefit all readers if you could please expand on what that means.
EG you know exactly what he means. He means to divide the value of the parse sum to receive the enumerator of the X-Y tangent to get the subnet of A

Tryggr

@comcast.net
reply to EG

Those are commands that can be entered into a cisco router. And NOCMan, I have done that with the one exception that instead of copying my current run I'm loading a config from a couple months ago. Because I know the one I'm loading is working and untainted by this problem.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
Union, NJ

said by Tryggr :

Those are commands that can be entered into a cisco router.
What are they supposed to do ?

AVonGauss
Premium
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL

1 recommendation

reply to Tryggr

I posted this before and you didn't respond, but I would see what DNS servers the router is using and the DNS servers that the computer behind the router is using.

If you can ping known locations by IP address, but you get sent to the walled garden page when using a browser that makes the DNS look awfully suspicious.

Tryggr

@comcast.net
reply to BosstonesOwn

The Lan is set just like you have: CM -> Router -> PC
The router is not a dns server, nor is it passing. The router is not a dhcp server, nor is it passing it. Every device on the internal network is statically set. The PC's use comcast dns servers.

Tryggr

@comcast.net
reply to AVonGauss

I've actually answered this a couple of times. The dns servers belong to Comcast, I believe. They are 68.87.91.135 and the backup is 68.87.64.140. And yes, I can ping known ip's and I can also ping by common name. Both from my router and from my PC

Tryggr

@comcast.net
reply to EG

sh run (show running-config)
displays your current configuration

copy to notepad
copies your current config to windows notepad

write erase
essentially wipes all configs out of the device

reload
reboots the device

When you reboot it allows you the option to go through a step by step configuration dialogue, which you rarely want.

cut n paste config back in
Puts your configs you saved in step 2 back on to the device

EG
The wings of love
Premium
Union, NJ

1 edit

So is that suppossed to be a magic bullet ?

garitaar

join:2008-08-25
Minneapolis, MN
reply to Tryggr

I had a similar issue last week on my Scientific Atlanta DOCSIS 3 modem for 50/10 service. It was nothing on my end - the modem was perfectly good, etc. The registration database bad some bogus info for my account, so I was told. Call Tech Support and ask them to delete all of the history for the modems in the account. Then have them register the modem.

Tryggr

@comcast.net

I just spent the last 2 hours or so going through all these steps again. I also called Comcast, asked them to completely remove the modem from my account and then re-add it. All to no avail. Still works from my computer, but not through the router. Apparently comcast has no level 2 support? I feel like this isn't that rare of a problem, but Comcast is completely unwilling to discuss it or to forward me to any higher level help. I'm this close to signing up with another company, I can't afford to not have my other computers online.

AVonGauss
Premium
Boynton Beach, FL

1 recommendation

reply to Tryggr

said by Tryggr :

I've actually answered this a couple of times. The dns servers belong to Comcast, I believe. They are 68.87.91.135 and the backup is 68.87.64.140. And yes, I can ping known ip's and I can also ping by common name. Both from my router and from my PC
And those I believe would be the servers that you get when you are in the walled garden. You can find a complete list of normal DNS servers at »dns.comcast.net/.

Are you absolutely sure your router is not configured manually to use those DNS servers?

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium
join:2008-01-06
kudos:5
reply to Tryggr

^ Bingo - since you don't do DHCP (OP), I assume you hard coded those DNS servers into your PC's? As AVonGauss posted, make sure you are using a valid comcast (or any other DNS service) on each of your PC's and in the router if you do any DHCP.
--
Tech at the Beach.
I speak for myself, not my employer.

Tryggr

@comcast.net
reply to AVonGauss

Bingo! is right. AVonGauss nailed it! I wasn't tracking you before for a couple reasons. One, I didn't realize how a walled garden worked at the most basic level and two, since my router was receiving them via dhcp it was working fine, and my pc could ping via name and work fine, it was only redirecting ip, so I assumed the dns servers were working fine. Also, I thought I had been using those servers for a long time, I most likely switched them somewhere along the way here though. Blessed relief! I was right about 1 thing this entire time though: This is an extremely simple problem that just needs someone who's seen something similar.
The only redeeming part of this whole thing is that when it's resolved I definitely get to learn something from it. I promise I won't fall into that trap again. Hopefully some other people can learn from my issue and not have it happen to them.

Thank you to everyone for taking the time to help me with this, and especially to AVonGauss for coming up with the final solution!
Joel

AVonGauss
Premium
Boynton Beach, FL

1 recommendation

Glad to hear everything is up and running.

Joe_Kan

@comcast.net
reply to Tryggr

From what I learned the "walled garden" is a redirection of browser traffic to a Comcast activation page. I was getting this when I upgraded to add digital voice and my personal MODEM (Motorola SBG 900) was replaced with a Comcast MODEM (ARRIS) that had a phone jack. It appears that the DNS you select in your router configuration may result in this redirection. I guess the COMCAST system can get confused and believe your MODEM is not provisioned. For me everything worked except occasional redirection to the walled garden that would last for several minutes at a time. I tried flushing the DNS, and this made no difference. It was not Until I manually entered specific DNS values and removed a third DNS value that appeared to not always be the same. I am certainly not the expert on this and apparently one needs to get the right person in technical support to cut through all the bologna some of the folks there tell you. Hope it helps.

mbruno

join:2003-07-03
Fruitland, MD
reply to jack b

said by jack b:

Try cloning the MAC ID of the computer you connected directly with, into the Cisco. You shouldn't have to do this in order to get online, but give it a shot.
Tyggr, I have a Cisco 871 on comcast and I know I had to clone my mac address of my computer to the cisoc router to get it to work. Jack b is correct by saying you shouldn't have to do this but that worked for me. I can say this much, I read an article that someone posted out in the Cisco forum about this problem with motorola surboard modem. I believe it was the 5120 models if memory serves me correct. I have changed modems since then and now use a sb6120 and so far no problem with having to clone my mac address. hope that helps you some.