share rss forum feed

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman

join:2000-09-20
Washington, DC
kudos:1

4 edits

1 recommendation

Comcast Customers: Would You Prefer Metered Billing?

This topic has been approved by sortofageek. Only one post is allowed per poster. The purpose of this thread to express opinion only for the record. This thread will not become a debate. It will be linked in the first post of the bandwidth limits topic. You may express your opinion (Yes/No/Maybe-so) and reasons for your opinion in your one post. Do not come back to the thread to debate or make a new post/reply.

Mod Note: »Topic Guideline Modification #1
»Note to all

My opinion on it is this:
I would support unlimited usage metered billing (with a real meter, but not in blocks/tiers like cell phone minutes are) on condition of the following:
- If metered billing is done, it needs to be done properly - in such a way that the metering system is accurate, transparent, subject to oversight, and regulated in the same manner that other public utilities, such as gas, water, and electricity are. This is for the protection of consumers.

- I believe that metered billing will prevent artificially created usage caps, like Comcast's 250GB cap. There's no cap on electricity usage, gas usage, or water usage. You use what you use, and you pay for it. No one tells you that you've used too much (except the city maybe in the case of water sprinklers for the lawn in a drought period, but that's a regional thing, and not applicable to everyone.)

- I also believe that metered billing will prevent a stagnation of the internet. Look at all the great electronics we have: Flat screen this and computer do-hickey that. Imagine if there was a cap on electricity usage. I don't think you'd see the same growth that you do today. Unlike the current flat rate system in which Comcast is hoping that we use as little of the internet as possible, a metered billing system will encourage Comcast to expand its network, offer even higher speeds for us, and not throttle the development of 3rd party services such as " AppleTV/iTunes, Netflix Streaming, SlingBox, Vudu" due to capacity concerns.

(Jason, if this is unclear, IM me and I will clarify my post).

--
"We're going to start at one end of (Fallujah), and we're not going to stop until we get to the other. If there's anybody left when that happens, we're going to turn around and we're going to go back and finish it."
Lt. Col. Pete Newell: 1st Inf. US Army

JJV
Premium
join:2001-04-25
Seattle, WA

It depends on the meter.
My electricity is metered. When I lived in Alaska it was crazy expensive. I went around turning off lights and set back the thermostat when I was away.
Now i live in Wa. I'm still somewhat conservative but I don't worry about it much.

I don't want an internet service that makes me worry about what I'm consuming.

PrntRhd
Premium
join:2004-11-03
Fairfield, CA

1 edit
reply to IPPlanMan

No, I prefer the buffet "all you can eat within reason" plan.

Metered billing is the Phone Company's way of doing business, and if they had their way they would bill you extra for each node crossed on the Internet.

Premium
join:2009-03-01

4 edits
reply to IPPlanMan

Thinking about this a different way as it was posed to IPPlanMan See Profile in another thread. The question was:

"Should you pay more *IF* your service usage costs more than what you are billed for? Or should all the "email checkers" (as he called them) fund your usage?"

In other words, *IF* Comcast was able to supply data which showed 250G+ cost more than the monthly bill for residential, do you believe this income loss be spread across all the other users under 250G?

My answer: I think I should pay my fair share. I am willing to pay more if I am costing more. But would rather do it under a capped tier system which is adjusted up as the service evolves vs a bit counting system going forward.

jlivingood
Premium,VIP
join:2007-10-28
Philadelphia, PA
kudos:2
reply to IPPlanMan

said by IPPlanMan:

This topic has been approved by sortofageek. Only one post is allowed per poster. The purpose of this thread to express opinion only for the record. This thread will not become a debate. It will be linked in the first post of the bandwidth limits topic. You may express your opinion (Yes/No/Maybe-so) and reasons for your opinion in your one post. Do not come back to the thread to debate or make a new post/reply.
Are you asking about pure, 100% metering or tiered pricing, like a cell phone with blocks of minutes?
--
JL
Comcast

perki

join:2008-12-01
Santa Maria, CA

1 edit
reply to IPPlanMan

Reluctantly yes Because the internet is poised to destroy our economy. Its already done away with record stores and Mom and Pop video stores.

Expand your moderator at work

jus10

join:2009-08-04
Sterling, VA
reply to jlivingood

Re: Comcast Customers: Would You Prefer Metered Billing?

Based on jlivingood's post - No to 100% metering, but I'm ok with tiered pricing. Essentially we have the latter with the existing cap. You can pay more for a business class connection without it (as I understand it).

I would say have the economy plan have a 50GB cap for the email checkers. Then have Performance get the 250, Ultra get 350, Extreme get 500GB. (Just for example). Also periodically up the limits when you offer the "free" upgrades in service (like the current upgrade from 6/1 to 12/2).

I would rather not make the ISP bill any more confusing than it already is.

neufuse

join:2006-12-06
James Creek, PA
reply to IPPlanMan

I dont like the idea of tiered pricing, having that for other things all I ever do is get less of an item for more money over time... I think comcast should stay 250GB per user, and have fines for each x number of GB you go over that... not use 50 GB pay x use 100 GB pay X.. but you get your set 250GB but you get fined for each say 50GB you go over... and not kicked off the network... i know it sounds like tiered, but there are no tiers, just overage fees

baineschile
2600 ways to live
Premium
join:2008-05-10
Sterling Heights, MI
reply to IPPlanMan

If it lowers my bill because i use less, then yes.

FactChecker
Premium
join:2008-06-03

2 edits
reply to IPPlanMan

Metered - no - too complicated
Usage Tiers - fair around coarsely distinguishing the difference in per customer ROI

Yearly speed increases for standard tier - keep 'em coming! I do understand the difference between speed and usage.

b10010011
Whats a Posting tag?

join:2004-09-07
Bellingham, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast Formerl..

4 edits

1 recommendation

reply to IPPlanMan

I would only consider if it was TRUE metered billing.

That is you pay for ONLY what you consume.

Not tiered billing with high overage penalties.

I use pre-paid cellular service because I will not accept that form of billing from a cellular phone company,

I will not accept that type of billing from an ISP either.

miami786male

join:2008-06-30
Miami, FL
reply to IPPlanMan

I do not expect metered billing or overage billing for using over 250 GB. i feel it should be truly unlimited billing..

Angrychair

Jacksonville, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to IPPlanMan

Only if it were treated like a public utility such as electricity or water.

It would be subject to massive scrutiny and have to be proven accurate and billed according to actual consumption. Not the low cap high penalty money grab incumbent monopolists want.

C_Chipperson
Monster Rain
Premium
join:2009-01-17
kudos:3
reply to IPPlanMan

Absolutely no to metered billing - if this happened, NO ONE would see a lower bill than we do today. It is not a good move for anybody (except comca$t) and a HUGE step back toward per minute billing (dialup AOL)

GKI
Premium
join:2007-07-19
Tacoma, WA

1 recommendation

reply to IPPlanMan

No to metered billing.

Yes to an accessible online meter to see my usage, as Comcast is testing now.

jhaygood86

join:2005-03-01
Marietta, GA

1 recommendation

reply to IPPlanMan

Tiered Pricing would be fine, as long as its automatic with no overage charges.

For instance, I have Blast 16/2 for $52.95

So for 16/2, I'd like the prices to be:

52.95 - 250 GB
57.95 - 300 GB
62.95 - 350 GB
67.95 - 400 GB
72.95 - Unlimited

This will basically cost nothing to normal users, a nominal amount for slightly heavy users, and still be affordable (at $20/mo) for really heavy users.

dbwilson
Premium
join:2000-06-19
Fayetteville, GA
reply to IPPlanMan

I'm okay with a higher price tier above 250 GB.

True metered billing I would be OK with only if Comcast was a public utility selling only data transfer, and completely out of the content business - subject to public utility commission scrutiny and approval for rates.
--
Leave It On!

jasqid
Fiber In Your Diet?

join:2002-04-02
East Palestine, OH
reply to perki

Thats called evolution.

The system the way it is, is fine with me.

B52GUNR
KM 7D love and D3 Nirvana
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-06
Vallejo, CA

2 edits
reply to IPPlanMan

I already pay $109 for my Comcast business class connection. I think that's more than my fair share, however, I would be OK with the following if absolutely necessary (I personally prefer the flat rate pricing, but if it came right down to it this is what I could live with):

Metered billing that started at $0 and was a reasonably per GiB charge with no BS "surcharges" or fees to ensure a minimum income per customer. I'd also like it to be like my electric bill, 0-X GiB is lower and X-Y is a bit more expensive and everything over Y is even more. Alternatively, make it like a cell phone where you have a bucket of bytes, and if you go over you get charged, but if you go under, those bytes are rolled over to the next month.

For the purpose of your poll, I am against metered billing, though.
--
Some assembly required, your mileage may vary, no pixels were harmed in the writing of this post. Brain cells, though, are a different matter. You want fries with that?

koitsu
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
kudos:23

1 recommendation

reply to IPPlanMan

A direct answer to the Subject: no, although I might be swayed by a 95th-percentile metred method.

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
join:2001-08-19
kudos:21

2 edits
reply to IPPlanMan

Topic Guideline Modification #1

said by IPPlanMan:

You may express your opinion (Yes/No/Maybe-so) and reasons for your opinion in your one post. Do not come back to the thread to debate or make a new post/reply.
Thank you for starting the topic and for explaining it according to the terms we discussed. I think it can have some value in letting Comcast know what our community thinks.

While keeping opinion limited to one post per person and not allowing it to become another bandwidth limits debate still stands, I'm going to modify the topic guideline a bit now that Jason ( jlivingood) has taken an interest.

Jason, if you would like clarification, please feel free to post. Since you are gathering info and not stating opinion, it makes sense that you should be able to post to ask such questions. It also makes sense that the person to whom the question is directed should be allowed to post an answer in response.
--
Join Team Helix * I am praying for these friends .

SLD
Premium
join:2002-04-17
San Francisco, CA
reply to IPPlanMan

Re: Comcast Customers: Would You Prefer Metered Billing?

I would consider metered billing if there was no base fee, or a very low connection fee, and the cost per gigabyte was reasonable, say 5 cents per gigabyte or lower.

Kiwi
Premium
join:2003-05-26
USA/MidWest
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to IPPlanMan

No!

Why would a question such as this be applicable to utilities. There is a pricing scheme based on up & down speeds, as already noted.

As an example Korea, Japan provide extensive broadband speeds, no limits for their citizens and at similar pricing schemes here, why abridge and affirm third world standards, the USofA is currently down the civilised pack for attributing broadband service.

The real problem with caps is that if a residential user passes the 250G, then their service is potentially removed. The average residential customer uses around 10G a month. I would be more in favour of any ISP who finds a residential customer exceeding residential use to flip that user into a higher business tier, with notice of course.

The current upload/download pricing scheme could well be extended, it's old and does not represent the current climate in use. The cell phone assimilation does seem reasonable, but the bottom line is the question would not even be an issue if a reasonable business model to include today's expectations had been updated, surcharges and fees are not condusive to an open and acceptable practice as it stands, for customers.

Lastly, broadband does cost actual money, but there must be a business practice model that does not inhibit use, rather have plans applicable for use to customers.

I know my limits and pay for those limits and the price is reasonable, the post by the OP suggests a work around for excessive use and that has not been addressed by the Comcast ISP. I'm reminded here that the "Internet" is not an ISP's property only a vehicle for access.

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman

Washington, DC
reply to jlivingood

said by jlivingood:

Are you asking about pure, 100% metering or tiered pricing, like a cell phone with blocks of minutes?
I would support unlimited usage metered billing (with a real meter, but not in blocks/tiers like cell phone minutes are). Otherwise, I would not support it.
--
"We're going to start at one end of (Fallujah), and we're not going to stop until we get to the other. If there's anybody left when that happens, we're going to turn around and we're going to go back and finish it."
Lt. Col. Pete Newell: 1st Inf. US Army

pandora
Premium
join:2001-06-01
Outland
kudos:2
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Comcast
·Future Nine Corp..
reply to IPPlanMan

No to metered billing.

If you don't like the Comcast HSI 250 GB cap, then move to Comcast starter business. You'll pay about the same, and not have a 250 GB cap. There is no reason to meter Comcast HSI residential usage as there is already the starter business alternative at a very fair price.
--
"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use."

inferno4

join:2008-07-06

4 edits
reply to B52GUNR

no... No... NO! Make Comcast upgrade their system to prosper in the future. If this happens, I will just move back to AT&T where I don't have to worry about metered billing... I can't believe some of you guys are actually saying metered billing would be ok... Fight for whats right!

Look how Austrailias internet is.. its a disaster!

PerfectCode

join:2009-06-12
Portland, OR
reply to IPPlanMan

No to metered billing.

Just no.

Cheese
Premium
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL
reply to IPPlanMan

If they had wanted metered, it should have been in place first, to do this after all these years, no thanks.

BigVe

join:2005-07-15
Gulliver, MI
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
reply to SLD

said by SLD:

I would consider metered billing if there was no base fee, or a very low connection fee, and the cost per gigabyte was reasonable, say 5 cents per gigabyte or lower.
Me too.But with no or very low base fee/connection fee i could accept up to 25 cents a GB BUT only if they could come up with a system (meter) that actually work.