Premium Member
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL

1 recommendation

AVonGauss to Tryggr

Premium Member

to Tryggr

Re: [Connectivity] Stuck on Comcast's walled garden

I posted this before and you didn't respond, but I would see what DNS servers the router is using and the DNS servers that the computer behind the router is using.

If you can ping known locations by IP address, but you get sent to the walled garden page when using a browser that makes the DNS look awfully suspicious.

Tryggr
@comcast.net

Tryggr

Anon

I've actually answered this a couple of times. The dns servers belong to Comcast, I believe. They are 68.87.91.135 and the backup is 68.87.64.140. And yes, I can ping known ip's and I can also ping by common name. Both from my router and from my PC
AVonGauss
Premium Member
Boynton Beach, FL

1 recommendation

AVonGauss

Premium Member

said by Tryggr :

I've actually answered this a couple of times. The dns servers belong to Comcast, I believe. They are 68.87.91.135 and the backup is 68.87.64.140. And yes, I can ping known ip's and I can also ping by common name. Both from my router and from my PC
And those I believe would be the servers that you get when you are in the walled garden. You can find a complete list of normal DNS servers at »dns.comcast.net/.

Are you absolutely sure your router is not configured manually to use those DNS servers?

Tryggr
@comcast.net

Tryggr

Anon

Bingo! is right. AVonGauss nailed it! I wasn't tracking you before for a couple reasons. One, I didn't realize how a walled garden worked at the most basic level and two, since my router was receiving them via dhcp it was working fine, and my pc could ping via name and work fine, it was only redirecting ip, so I assumed the dns servers were working fine. Also, I thought I had been using those servers for a long time, I most likely switched them somewhere along the way here though. Blessed relief! I was right about 1 thing this entire time though: This is an extremely simple problem that just needs someone who's seen something similar.
The only redeeming part of this whole thing is that when it's resolved I definitely get to learn something from it. I promise I won't fall into that trap again. Hopefully some other people can learn from my issue and not have it happen to them.

Thank you to everyone for taking the time to help me with this, and especially to AVonGauss for coming up with the final solution!
Joel
AVonGauss
Premium Member
Boynton Beach, FL

1 recommendation

AVonGauss

Premium Member

Glad to hear everything is up and running.