All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
dhinkle
join:2009-12-09

dhinkle

Belkin Router can't keep Connection to Modem

I recently added Charter HSI again and still have AT&T dsl while I test the Charter. A couple of years ago I had Charter and had constant communication problems between my Charter provided router and Linksys modem so I replaced the modem with a Motorola Surfboard 5120 cable modem. Everything worked fine for a while but then it started dropping multiple times in a day. I would reboot the router and it would connect again. Charter could not explain it since the computer connected fine when bypassing the router. Linksys claimed that it was Charter. Charter technicians came to the house several times but could not fix the problem. Charter recommended that I lease their equipment and everything would work fine. I decided to switch to AT&T dsl and once I did, I never had another drop.

I had to replace the Linksys router because it quit working. I now have a Belkin router model f5d8236-4 v2. I also decided to give Charter a try again because it is faster than my AT&T dsl. They installed it and it worked fine for about a day. Then the router would drop the connection with the modem. I went through the same routine of turning the router off and then back on. I could connect for a day and then it would drop off overnight. I went into the Belkin setup and cloned the MAC address and that seemed to work for a day or two and then would drop. I finally reset the router using the reset button. The router and modem stayed connected for about a week. Now the router will find the modem but cannot connect to the internet or can connect but it takes about 2 minutes for a page to load.

I read the manuals for the modem and router and then contacted Charter to see if there was an issue with the MAC address. I turned the modem off and back on, turned the router off and back on, disconnected power to everything overnight, turned router on first, turned modem on first, cloned MAC address, and reset router to factory defaults. Nothing worked.

I connected directly to the modem and was able to access the internet just fine. I contacted Charter and they recommended that I get their wireless internet for $10 a month but that they could not help me because I was not using their equipment. I do not want to pay that since I already have the hardware and my Siemens Speedstream 4100 DSL modem will connect just fine with the Belkin.

I cannot figure out why I have connection problems between cable modems and wireless/wired routers. The only thing that is the same from the previous experience and this one is Charter. Motorola claimed that it was not problem, Linksys claimed it was not their problem, Charter claimed it was not their problem, I have not heard from Belkin but I suspect that they will claim the same.

Has anyone els had this problem? Is there some setting that I need to change in the router in order to make it work with Charter?
kilps
join:2007-09-29
Marquette, MI

kilps

Have you tried installing an alternate firmware on the router like dd-wrt? That may be a possible fix.
dhinkle

dhinkle

Thans for the reply kkilps0. It has the most up to date firmware from Belkin.
kilps
Marquette, MI

kilps

what model to you have?
dhinkle

dhinkle

N Wireless Router model f5d8236-4 v2
kilps
Marquette, MI

kilps

Are you using the wireless? If so during the times when you have problems, can you connect normally with an ethernet cord?
dhinkle

dhinkle

I have both wired and wirless computers but none of them can access the internet. Also, I do not have a problem with any computer accessing other wired or wireless computers or printers. The modem always shows 4 lights indicating that it is connected. The router shows that it sees the modem but I cannot access the internt. If I disconnect one of the computers and connect it directly to the modem, the computer can access the internet. If I disconnect all other devices from the network and only have one computer wired to the router and the router wired to the modem, I still cannot access the internet or it is extremely slow. So slow that a speed test times out.
kilps
Marquette, MI

kilps

Can you access you modem during the times with the internet dies? usually 192.168.100.1
dhinkle

dhinkle

I'm not sure if I understand what you are asking. I can access the router but not the modem. I typed 192.168.100.1 while the cable modem was connected to the router but it did nothing. The router showed that it found the modem and that it had access to the internet but it took over 3 minutes to load google.
kilps
Marquette, MI

kilps

Is this the same modem you had in the past?
dhinkle

dhinkle

When I had Charter for a couple of years ago but had another cable modem that died so I purchased the Motorola. Both the old modem and the Motorola experienced the same problems with the Linksys router. But, when I first set up the Motorola modem, it worked fine for a few weeks ant then started having problems.

Now I still have the Motorola modem but have the Belkin router. Same problem.
kilps
Marquette, MI

kilps

Well I am not sure. Sorry I cannot help you. Maybe you should try the charter direct forum. The techs there are generally good at solving your problems.
ih8thsplce
join:2008-04-23

ih8thsplce to dhinkle

to dhinkle
I have an older Belkin router. Model F5D7230-4. The older one, not the current one.

It doesn't work with Charter either. Apparently its just an issue with Belkin routers and cable modems.

The only solution I found was to either go back to slow DSL or switch routers until FiOS is installed in this area

koma3504
Advocate
Premium Member
join:2004-06-22
Granbury, TX

koma3504 to dhinkle

Premium Member

to dhinkle
try making up a mac address or using the clone mac address in the router if it has one.
lwmang
join:2010-01-23

lwmang to dhinkle

to dhinkle
I have the Speedstream 4100 with the belkin N+ router too, my model is f5d8235-4 v2 and it has the same problems. Normally I can turn my wifi card on the computer off and then on and that will get me going again, but the connection is flakey very often, making it a pain to have. I wonder if Belkin knows of a problem with the Speedstream 4100 in conjunction with their N+. I remember back there used to be a problem with Netgear's wgr614 had a problem with speedstream's and you had to put the modem login information on router, and reconfigure the modem using its web interface, 192.168.0.1 . maybe thats worth a try.

kearney
@charter.com

kearney to dhinkle

Anon

to dhinkle
I've had the same issue for months with Charter in Nebraska. I have a Belkin F5D8233-4v router with the latest firmware installed. Sometimes our connection will last a week before dying; other times it goes out once or twice a day.

At first I suspected the router wasn't able to renew an IP address from the modem, but the randomness of the outages seems to discount that theory. I've swapped in a Linksys wireless router instead -- no improvement. I also tried a new Linksys modem -- no change either.

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member
join:2000-02-26

1 edit

cork1958 to dhinkle

Premium Member

to dhinkle
Maybe a dumb suggestion but, do you have dhcp enabled?

How about the setting to automatically detect connection in IE settings?

My Belkin router, just got a few weeks ago, address is »192.168.2.1. Don't know if Belkin does different addresses for different routers or not? A couple different D-Links I had, used the same url.
eufaula88
join:2003-01-13
Birmingham, AL

eufaula88 to dhinkle

to dhinkle
I have the same router and a Motorola SB 5100. I have a wired PC and a wireless PC and it works fine. The only problem I have is a Linksys VOIP device will not work connected with wire. However, I think it's a Linksys or Viatalk issue.