spc
Search similar:

uniqs
mottmr
join:2000-07-15
Monroe, MI

mottmr

[Line Problem] Service Degredation Since repair

I have had my At&t dsl service since 2001, and up until 4 weeks ago had the original Westell modem still in place. I had one outage that was fixed in office, and even when I went to a bundled loop up last year, the speed and connection has been great.

Six weeks ago I lost DSL and phone service on the home line and had to wait a week until someone came at a time when I was home (yeah dont they think I have a job?!) The tech was great and found a/the problem inside the home right where the line came in. He proceeded to check lines strip wires, replace bad stuff and cleaned out old lines no longer in use.

When it came time to test it all worked, even with the filters in place, but it wasnt until later, that I started to see issue. Basically the old modem I had would drop connection, I could see the dsl line flash and all hard wired and wireless connections dropped. I switched out the Westell and put in place the Motorola 2210 that came with the switch to yahoo and the bundled loop last Sep 2008, same issue. At least the motorla light is red and flashes when the dsl drops.

Then I switched out the linksys speed boost g router v2 with a ver 5 build. Same issue, so i struggled along with it for about 2 weeks, keeping connected then losing the dsl line for a few seconds and it coming back.

Mind you, its the same pc's and wireless devices for the last few years, no issues prior to the repair call.

The suddenly its working fine for 2 weeks. No drops, no IM convos going away or disappearing, xbox live staying connected, all is great.

Then the dropping comes back for no apparent reason. So I am wondering, is it internal again? Is it at the box or someplace between? Wondering if anyone can lend an idea as to what to look at, or if I should call service and have the line checked. I hate to complain, but after 8 great years, It makes me wonder where the issue is.

TheDuck6
join:2003-06-22
Eastlake, OH

TheDuck6

DSL light dropping or flashing red means there is a problem with the wire between your modem and the CO/RT connection. You can plug your modem directly in the NID to eliminate a problem inside the house. Otherwise you need to place a service call to have it fixed.
mottmr
Monroe, MI

mottmr

CO RT, meaning between the modem and the router?

armyrebel4
Dream Chaser
Premium Member
join:2002-01-08
Springfield, IL

armyrebel4

Premium Member

No, central office and remote terminal that's outside your control
mottmr
Monroe, MI

mottmr

Damn those were obvious (once you know the lingo)!! Thanks I am going to call

TheDuck6
join:2003-06-22
Eastlake, OH

TheDuck6 to mottmr

to mottmr
To clarify what I said. The wire from your modem goes to ATT's modem either in a Central Office or a Remote Terminal. When the DSL light on your modem is on it is in sync with ATT's modem. If any problem occurs in that line sync is lost and it has to re-sync dropping your connection.

David
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL

David to mottmr

Premium Member

to mottmr
yea since you had a recent repair ticket, it should be still no charge to you. They will still quote you possible charges, but if it's something the tech didn't complete usually they don't bill on those.

That's the jist of what I usually see.