spc
Search similar:

uniqs
jafo1972
join:2004-04-15
Chicago, IL

jafo1972

[Speed Problem] Slow Speeds in Downtown Chicago

Anyone else having the same issue as me? I live in the Greektown area.
jafo1972

jafo1972

Having the same problem tonight. Anybody else with the same issue? Please respond.
jafo1972

jafo1972

Again same problem and it seems to happen only during the night. I wish somebody could shed some light to this issue.

Thanks!
Solomon87
join:2002-12-18
Chicago, IL

Solomon87

I am in Chicago and my connection is VERY slow right now, painfully slow.
zach3
Zach
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
Saint Louis, MO

zach3 to jafo1972

Premium Member

to jafo1972
I am in St. Louis and having the same problem. My latency is over 175 and it is normally under 25 when running a speed test.

This seems to be happening almost every night.

Zach

DyerUser
Premium Member
join:2004-01-29
Dyer, IN

DyerUser to Solomon87

Premium Member

to Solomon87
We have 4 Chicago area DSL lines for work. In the wee hours of 12/15 from about 12:15 am until 1:35am, latency shot up from 12 - 15ms to 100ms and packet loss went to about 50% on all four lines.

My assumption is that some type of work was going on last night.

StillLearn
Premium Member
join:2002-03-21
Streamwood, IL

2 edits

StillLearn

Premium Member

I had thought maybe I was seeing the same thing being discussed. I now think there was something local to me.

Inside I could hear some noise on the voice phone. At the NID, no noise. So I checked things out inside.

I think the problem for me was an interior RJ-11 jack I had installed. Working the plug in and out several times seems to have made my problem go away.

So my events are not not some problem shared with others.

brg
Premium Member
join:2001-01-03
Chicago, IL

brg

Premium Member

I'm on the North side of Chicago, and haven't experienced any slow-downs...
reacttech
join:2003-05-05
Chicago, IL

reacttech to jafo1972

to jafo1972
I'm just east of you,S-Loop, nothing noticeable during the evening up to 10pm or so.
jafo1972
Chicago, IL

1 edit

jafo1972

I'm having the issue again tonight. Anyone else with the issue? This is annoying. I leave Comcast for bad service and AT&T is on the same boat. How frustrating can this be. Nobody can help me??? PLEASE! reacttec: run a speed test and tell me your stats.

DyerUser
Premium Member
join:2004-01-29
Dyer, IN

DyerUser

Premium Member

I'm not seeing any of the slowness I saw last night. (For comparison information, all 4 lines are static DSL--3 in Will County and one in NW Indiana, but served out of Chicago.)

You say this only happens at night. What is different about your use then? Do you have more than one computer on the DSL account? Any chance there are some that are only turned on at night? An open wireless connection that a neighbor may be using? A tivo that is streaming from the net?
jafo1972
Chicago, IL

jafo1972

No other computers, no TIVO, no neighbor stealing wifi. This is very strange and I will definitely consider moving back with Comcast if these issues keep popping up every night.
zach3
Zach
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
Saint Louis, MO

zach3 to jafo1972

Premium Member

to jafo1972
I'm not seeing any slow down yet tonight either but it is still early.

Zach

StillLearn
Premium Member
join:2002-03-21
Streamwood, IL

StillLearn to jafo1972

Premium Member

to jafo1972
said by jafo1972:

Anyone else having the same issue as me? I live in the Greektown area.
How are you measuring your problem?

Ping latency? Lost packets?

The standard version of Ping Plotter will graph pings to sites including the steps on the way. There is a 30-day free trial.
jafo1972
Chicago, IL

jafo1972

Latency is below 20ms and no packet loss. It's just downloading speeds are very slow. On speedtest.net I always get around 5.15 MBps download speeds and during the evenings it drops to 1.5-3.0 MBps. Isn't it weird?
Slordak
join:2005-11-09
Crystal Lake, IL

Slordak to jafo1972

to jafo1972
I'm having speed problems starting as of about two days ago out in the "far Northwest suburbs" (Crystal Lake) of Chicago. I don't know about during the day, since I'm at work, but in the evenings its very slow. Ping is 18 ms and steady without packet loss, but the throughput is just terrible... I'm usually able to hit somewhere between 2 Mbps and 3 Mbps, and I'm instead limited to about a tenth of that (e.g. 0.2 - 0.3 Mbps).

I thought perhaps I was being throttled, but even without any real activity on the connection all day, I still came home this evening to the terrible throughput issue. I rebooted everything and there's no improvement.
rainman_
join:2004-11-04
Darien, IL

rainman_

The trouble just started for me today 12/16. Very high latency and download speeds as slow as dialup. Upload speeds are normal though.