spc
uniqs

SJTUSUK
@comcast.net

SJTUSUK to alternety

Anon

to alternety

Re: SB6120 continuously blinking activity light

After I told them my signal strength was within tolerance and showed them my log messages, Motorola support instructed me to reset the modem to factory defaults and see if it corrects the light issue. I don't know why it would change in the first place and have to be corrected with this sort of drastic step. I also can't afford to lose my connectivity for the next day or so if I reset the modem as requested. Have you tried this to see if it helps?
alternety
join:2009-01-05
Anacortes, WA

alternety

Yes I did reset the modem. I selected reset to factory defaults and rebooted. Worked fine but did not change the ARPs from being passed through to the LAN port. The light continues to blink.
alternety

alternety

Interesting points, but, I want it fixed. It is my desire to have it work as it was when I bought it. That operation may not be changed without my agreement. I use that light for my own purposes. For my personal use, I deem it a problem. I am not arguing about how the net works. Nor do I believe how the internet works play a direct role in whatever changed the behavior of my modem.

Is there some particular reason you wish to argue whether I should have it corrected or not? Does returning it to the initial, and sort of by definition for this modem , the correct operation, cause someone harm?

Napsterbater
Meh
MVM
join:2002-12-28
Milledgeville, GA
(Software) OPNsense
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO

1 edit

1 recommendation

Napsterbater

MVM

If you want to use your modem on their network it must be manged by them which includes firmware and configs, every DOCSIS cable modem is like that every DOCSIS providers is like that, if you dont like that use one of theirs or dont subscribe to them, is really your only two options.

As for the APR If you block APR you would have no net access, its that simple, APR is used to find the MAC address associated with an IP address in the same subnet, If you blocked it your router would not know how to contact the gateway as well as anyone else in your subnet.

As for the light blinking

»shaw modem "activity" light going nuts???
»Shaw FAQ's »My modem is flashing/not flashing, what does this mean?

I believe it can be controlled by changes to the config file or in the firmware but I highly doubt you get this changed yourself

To add:
said by alternety:

Yes I did reset the modem. I selected reset to factory defaults and rebooted. Worked fine but did not change the ARPs from being passed through to the LAN port. The light continues to blink.
The factory defaults are overwritten by the config once it logs on to the network which put it in the same sate it was already in, so basically it dose nothing at least in the way your trying to use it.

Nick
Purveyor of common sense
MVM
join:2000-10-29
Smithtown, NY

1 recommendation

Nick to alternety

MVM

to alternety
said by alternety:

Interesting points, but, I want it fixed. It is my desire to have it work as it was when I bought it. That operation may not be changed without my agreement. I use that light for my own purposes.
What Napsterbater said....The moment you hook up your modem to the Comcast network, you are implicitly giving them all the necessary rights to control your device as they see fit. This is on par with having a car without a license. You have your car but you can't drive it anywhere until you are given a driver's license. Once you get the license you abide by all the rules and regulations written by someone else. Eg. The speed limit.

The behavior can be the result of having that modem upgraded to a new version of Motorola software, or changes to the configuration file that is downloaded by the cable modem from Comcast.

Even if you figure out what caused the modem to change it's behavior there's an extremely small chance you'll revert it to old behavior.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

3 edits

1 recommendation

DocDrew to alternety

Premium Member

to alternety
said by alternety:

Interesting points, but, I want it fixed. I
I believe Moto "fixed" the issue for many other customers in returning the PC/Activity light to it's classic blinking that the previous Surfboard modems have had for years. I'm sure there where a few complaints to Moto that the 6120 wasn't blinking like the previous generations of Moto modems.

I doubt Moto would change the behavior of the light back to what most Moto customers consider non-standard behavior for Moto modem status lights.

Basically the new light pattern didn't "feel" right to the techs used to working on Moto modems...