how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

tarmin8or

@mchsi.com
reply to kb0nly

Re: New Mediacom Email

I can send but it is not arriving to recipient yet, sends from outbox but don't know if and when they arrive at destination.
Really nice of Mediacom to let customers know this up front.

RadioOp

@omcastbusiness.net
reply to kb0nly

One thing to check is make sure your DNS servers are not hard set in your modem or firewall. I had a friend on Mediacom that still was having problems after reboot, and he found his firewall had the old DNS servers hard coded, he switched them to dynamic, rebooted the firewall and modem again, and he was working fine.

One way to check is to open a CMD window and type

ping mail.mchsi.com

If it says trying to ping a 204.X.X.X address, then your DNS is still not right. If it says a 97.X.X.X address, then it is okay.

MediacomJoel

join:2009-10-03
kudos:3
reply to wth

We do apologize for this issue and are currently working to restore the email. As stated, there have been a few issues with the new system. I assure you, this has been given high priority and we are working to get this issue resolved as soon as possible.

Deleted emails reappearing is mainly related to timing and should not happen in the future. Please delete the unwanted mail.

We have been having issues with delays and not being able to receive emails. I assure you the email has not been lost. We expect all the delay issues to be resolved within the next 48 hours.

There should be no need for changes to the outbound or inbound email servers that are already set up. There was a slight issue, but it has been corrected.

Once again, we apologize and are working to get all the issues resolved. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Sengfeng

join:2006-10-16
Moline, IL
reply to RadioOp

said by RadioOp :

Mediacom stated that NO CHANGES should be necessary, which there should not be any. What they neglected to say was that you most likely will need to reboot your modem and firewall to get the updated DNS servers.
I do not, and will not, use Mediacom's DNS servers. They've always been slow, and, well... Sucky. If they put a mail server address in play that isn't propagated to public DNS servers, that's a major fail.

kb0nly

join:2003-07-25
Tyler, MN
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to RadioOp

RadioOp....

I did all that, the DNS is not hard set in anything here, all i have is the stock Mediacom modem, the RCA unit which is not a router and has no firewall, that is followed up by a Linksys router and is set to dynamic and dhcp for everything.

Running the CMD...

Pinging mail.mchsi.com [97.64.187.44]

Request Timed Out.....

But if i ping the new server...

Pinging mail.mediacombb.net [97.64.187.40]

I get very quick replies, hardly any lag at all.

Trouble Now

@mchsi.com
reply to MediacomJoel

I did change my in and out and SSL to the settings suggested above AND it does work. I am able to SEND email (which I have not been able to do for a day and a half) from Outlook!

kb0nly

Tyler, MN
Reviews:
·Mediacom

Just verified with my local service tech..

Server change is required according to him, and he has reset the servers on 15 computers since hitting the road this morning...

Sorry it took so long to verify and post this, DSL Reports was giving me a 503 error after hitting refresh.

mchsitroubl

@csiweb.net
reply to kb0nly

The new mail site (mediacombb.net) resolved my issues for now, but I do get an error message when I initialize the program regarding safety at site. After accepting that, my operation seems normal. May try resetting back to old site after a few days to see if it works.

Thanks for the information.

RadioOp

@omcastbusiness.net
reply to kb0nly

That must be an issue in your area only. I am able to ping either server without issue...

lotusracer
Premium
join:1999-11-26
Moline, IL
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to mchsitroubl

said by mchsitroubl :

The new mail site (mediacombb.net) resolved my issues for now, but I do get an error message when I initialize the program regarding safety at site. After accepting that, my operation seems normal. May try resetting back to old site after a few days to see if it works.

Thanks for the information.
Yes, that safety thing is a pain, but it's nice to have things working again.
--
Humanity - The greatest natural disaster of all time.

kb0nly

Tyler, MN
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to RadioOp

Could be just our area not sure, but i do know from the service tech he was told that ALL NEW customers must be setup to connect to mediacombb.net instead of the old settings.

So that tells me its going to be a permanent change here at least.

I also get the security certificate warning, not every time i send, but usually every time i open windows live mail. I assume its not setup correctly yet on their end, but its a small price to pay clicking on that warning and being able to send and receive email again finally!!

After changing servers i had to download 63 emails, they were my normal emails i would have expected to see the last couple days. I thought at first the receive was working ok with the old mail.mchsi.com server but i guess not as i only got two emails today before changing, and i think i had a total of 4 or 5 all day yesterday, and maybe 7 or 8 the day before that. Now i got 63 emails and no duplicates from the new server.

Santa Fe
Man is an animal that wants to exist.
Premium,Mod
join:2000-08-22
Freight Yard
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to wth

Okay, this is weird, I can GET mail with either the new server mail.mediacombb.net or the old server mail.mchsi.com, BUT I can only SEND mail via the mail.mediacombb.net setting.

Interesting. Anyway I for one aren't going into hysterics over broken e-mail service, It'll get fixed whether or not I complain about it here or not. Already reported it to our local Mediacom office, why waste bandwidth flaming Mediacom about it here?
--
November is National Alzheimer’s Disease Awareness Month and National Family Caregivers Month!

JerryH

@mchsi.com
reply to wth

I made the DNS change and the router/modem/pc reboot and I can send all emails but only some of the emails I should get are not coming in. I have had a few people send me test emails to find out. Since they are not on the new Zinga link either I suspect Mediacom is still having issues but not sure.
Thanks for all the help that Mediacom couldn't give.

Expand your moderator at work

MediacomJoel

join:2009-10-03
kudos:3
reply to wth

Re: New Mediacom Email

We are aware of the outbound issue with using the Mail.mchsi.com outbound server (not the mail.mediacombb.net). We are working to fix this issue. You should not be required to change any settings to your client. Thank you for the examples. They have assisted with getting the issue resolved.

Trouble Now

@mchsi.com

So, are you saying that the mediacombb.net & SSL changes we made (and work for now) may have to be changed back when all issues are resolved?

kb0nly

Tyler, MN

I wouldnt think so since they are telling new customers to use that... But who knows at this point right??

k9iua6

join:2004-05-23
Dubuque, IA
kudos:1
reply to Trouble Now

said by Trouble Now :

So, are you saying that the mediacombb.net & SSL changes we made (and work for now) may have to be changed back when all issues are resolved?
Don't be surprised if the answer is yes. I am surprised you all have been trying to work around a system that is clearly in some intermediate, unstable state of functionality.

IowaMan
Premium
join:2008-08-21
Grinnell, IA

Would posting the Mail headers be acceptable here If I obscure my e-mail address and IP-Address? so I can show the 7+ Delay?

Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-01
IA
kudos:2
reply to wth

I have to say I am surprised this many people used Mediacom email service.
--
I speak for myself, not my employer.

drslash
Goya Asma
Premium
join:2002-02-18
Marion, IA

I am not too surprised if you are talking about the tech savvy people who frequent this forum. Even tech savvy people use what is at hand. My guess is that 90% of non tech savvy Mediacom customers use Mediacom email service.

rfnut
Premium
join:2002-04-27
Fisher, IL
kudos:2
reply to Anonymous

I am surprised that your surprised.
I have been for almost 10 years with no issue till this.

wow just a got a message sent 2 days ago. Slow improvement.

lotusracer
Premium
join:1999-11-26
Moline, IL
Reviews:
·Mediacom

1 recommendation

reply to k9iua6

said by k9iua6:

I am surprised you all have been trying to work around a system that is clearly in some intermediate, unstable state of functionality.
Why would that be surprising? We are used to using their system and will try to find a way to use it, even if it means a temporary setting eventually has to be reversed.

The only other real option, and likely the apparently more sensible is to completely abandon their e-mail.
--
Humanity - The greatest natural disaster of all time.

ahent

join:2006-10-06
Johnston, IA
reply to wth

OK, I can send test emails from work to my mchsi acct and from my mchsi acct to work. I am wondering if I have any emails that is lost in limbo, or if I will ever get those emails. Oh, and I am in the Des Moines area using mail.mchsi.com with ports 995 and 465 with ssl, this is done since I am off the mediacom network with my computer a lot of times.

Santa Fe
Man is an animal that wants to exist.
Premium,Mod
join:2000-08-22
Freight Yard
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to wth

Found this little app (Ironically at the Zimba site) »www.zimbra.com/products/desktop_···oad.html

Works pretty good, if you can ignore all the Yahoo tags. Nice thing is, after I filled in all the info (including the mediacombb.net info & the ports) it twice flashed a big red balloon at the bottom saying it couldn't find the certificate....blah blah blah. But after the second time I clicked accept, it sent & received emails fine, without making me sit thru the error pop up windows I was getting with Thunderbird every time I tried to send to a e-mail address.

May stick with this till this E-Mail mess is done!
--
November is National Alzheimer’s Disease Awareness Month and National Family Caregivers Month!

Trouble Now

@mchsi.com
reply to ahent

AHENT- changed setting to reflect same SSL#, but changed back to .mchsi.com from mediacombb.net and I could not send email. I live in Peoria, IL area.

kay

@mchsi.com
reply to wth

I haven't been able to send anything. I also have received old emails. All of 12/09 emails came to me again on the 10th. I got some emails today, but not near the amount that I usually get. I hope they aren't lost somewhere, never to be seen.

Nollen

@pacbell.net
reply to kb0nly

Yay! The test email I sent earlier today with the new settings finally arrived in my inbox...I now officially am able to send and receive successfully with the new settings.

Thanks again!

wth
Premium
join:2002-02-20
Iowa City,IA
reply to wth

Re: Official Mediacom Email Discussion Thread

Still can't send from this link at work. »mail.mchsi.com/zimbra/

drslash
Goya Asma
Premium
join:2002-02-18
Marion, IA

said by wth:

Still can't send from this link at work. »mail.mchsi.com/zimbra/
For me yesterday, sending from web mail to work email was almost instant. Today it took about 90 minutes.
--
Save water...drink beer!
--
Democrats don't mind raising taxes because democrats don't pay taxes.