k9iua6
join:2004-05-23
Dubuque, IA

1 edit

k9iua6 to ddwashbu

to ddwashbu

Re: New Mediacom Email

said by ddwashbu:

So when are Mediachimp going to drop the next bomb and tell us...we all get new emails addresses!
As I understand it (reported recently, but I can't remember where), existing accounts prior to a recent point in time stay with their old address (@mchsi.com), and only newer accounts are getting the new address (@mediacombb.net). I tested webmail on both mail.mchsi.com and mail.mediacombb.net, sending out test messages, and both went out under the @mchsi.com e-mail account that I currently have.

IowaMan
Premium Member
join:2008-08-21
Grinnell, IA

IowaMan to tarispissed

Premium Member

to tarispissed
he is on a contract at $19.95 for 3mb plus a $15 for no other service

you are on the 12mb plan at 49.95 for 1 year

tarispissed
@mchsi.com

tarispissed to ricoricola

Anon

to ricoricola
I am in Indiana. Hell, they had an office here in town until this summer. They closed it and now you have to go 25 miles to the nearest office. There is NO phone listing for the local office to call and when I call tech support, they are ....who knows where???
I call them to report an outage and 9 times out of 10, they tell me they show no problem. I have basic plus cable with the cheapest internet package and pay $115.00 /mo.!!!!!
That is Y I am so pissed when there are so many outages and screw ups like this. They know they can charge us like that because there are no other cable providers in my town area. That's why i wish Comcast would come to this town and stomp on Mediacom's nuts!!!!!

ricoricola
@mchsi.com

ricoricola to ahent

Anon

to ahent

Re: Official Mediacom Email Discussion Thread

Neither does Mediacom Joel.

lotusracer
Premium Member
join:1999-11-26
Moline, IL

lotusracer to tarispissed

Premium Member

to tarispissed

said by tarispissed :

I wish Comcast would come to this town and stomp on Mediacom's nuts!!!!!
Well, I hate to break it to you, but Comcast is likely not much better. Go looking through their forum and you'll find many complaints.

tarispissed
@mchsi.com

tarispissed

Anon

Yes, I know but it will be competition and would possibly create a price cut or special offers. Mediacom has the area by the balls because they are the only providers and they charge high prices.
wth
Premium Member
join:2002-02-20
Iowa City,IA

wth

Premium Member

Latest recieved email (Staples) took 1 hour and 40 min.
YuRi
Premium Member
join:2008-11-04

YuRi to wth

Premium Member

to wth

Mediacom E-Mail problem made local news!

»www.kcci.com/news/219371 ··· ail.html

here is what it says:

DES MOINES, Iowa -- Iowa's largest cable provider is reporting problems with its e-mail service to customers after switching to a new system.

Mediacom officials said a high volume of spam and other messages clogged the system during the migration to the new e-mail system this week. Although the migration was completed Thursday, some users said they have no service or sporadic service.

Mediacom spokeswoman Phyllis Peters said company engineers are trying to resolve the issue before the weekend. That is when the company expects higher home and residential use.

Peters said the company is looking at contingency plans if the problem isn't resolved quickly enough.

According to Peters, duplication of e-mail is possible when the service resumes. She adds all messages sent during the migration will show up.

ahent
join:2006-10-06
Johnston, IA

ahent to wth

to wth

Strange, but I am unable to connect with servers, no matter what setting I use, at home on the mediacom network. But, off the mediacom network, from work, I am able to connect, send, and receive. I guess I will have to spend more time at work so I check my home email acct. Messed up.

ricoricola
@mchsi.com

1 recommendation

ricoricola to tarispissed

Anon

to tarispissed

Unfortunately, we are living in a time when corporations can pretty much do whatever the F they want to do to whoever they want to do it to. I’m nearly sixty years old and believe me when I tell you that it didn’t used to be that way. We do, of course, have a choice in these matters: if everyone joined together we would have the power to force a change. But unfortunately (again) we also live in a time when people don’t join together very well. This is the real “Brave New World” you probably read about in your youth.

And I agree with lotusracer: Comcast, Mediacom, or whoever- it’s all the same.
Booya7
join:2009-02-16
Berlin, MD

1 edit

Booya7 to wth

to wth

Sent test emails from gmail and my phone to mchsi and still have not receive them yet. Still unable to send out any emails not matter what server i use.

What funny is that email was working early this morning. Well receiving wise at least. Got emails from facebook pretty quickly. Now there a delay.
wth
Premium Member
join:2002-02-20
Iowa City,IA

wth

Premium Member

55 min have passed when I sent an email from work (Outlook) to *****@mchsi.com and it still has not shown up in the mediacom web based email application.

Testing....testing.....1....2...3..... testing.....

Trouble Now
@mchsi.com

Trouble Now to ricoricola

Anon

to ricoricola

I will bet Mediacom will have this fixed by tomorrow because they will need to reboot their whole system and can't during the work week because of business use (legal).

RadioOp
@omcastbusiness.net

RadioOp to ahent

Anon

to ahent

I had that issue, I rebooted my modem and firewall/router and then was able to connect. Also had to reboot the computer after the modem and firewall. There is a DNS update that needed done, and the modem needed rebooted to get it.

Try that...

stev32k
Premium Member
join:2000-04-27
Mobile, AL

stev32k to wth

Premium Member

to wth
Both mail.mediacom.com and mail.mediacombb.net seem to be cutting on and off. Sometimes I can ping one or both and sometimes neither. I sent test messages from a different account earlier to day and nothing has shown up so far.

I changed the setting in outlook to the mail.mediacombb.net and port 995 in and 465 out and outlook reported that the settings were successful, but still no mail in or out.

Stewdog
@mchsi.com

Stewdog to wth

Anon

to wth
I have yet to send a msg. I've received a few, but nothing important. I've seen the same slick PR statement to the press they've offered here. Very frustrating. Like the idea of holding payment in theory, but that would do nothing but get your service cut and the privilege of paying to start up again.

HelpAFriend
@mindspring.com

HelpAFriend to wth

Anon

to wth
Mediacom's website has no information accessible for instructions for configuring any email agent, MS's, Mozilla's, or Mac's for the servers; whether one is on the mediacom network or if one is off the network. Previously they did.

Mediacom's website has no status page to aid its clients in discovering that mediacom is having trouble with its mail instead of the user having to unnecessarily troubleshoot their own mail agent.

Previously there was some configuration information accessible.

OldCableGuy1
@mchsi.com

OldCableGuy1 to wth

Anon

to wth
Just an FYI: Zimbra is an open source program. It is simply the application Mediacom chose to use for their web based email. I don't know why everyone is jumping down their throat, they have nothing to do with the debacle.

As for the reports that all email will be delivered, that's a flat-out lie. That's not the way SMTP works. If the server doesn't accept the message (which is what is happening) eventually the sending server stops trying to send. When you get a "bounce" email, that means that it gave up, the email is not going through.

Mediacom should have setup a DNS backup MX record for a cache and forward server to cache all these emails, but the bounces show they didn't.

It seems someone didn't bother to investigate how much email volume goes through their system. They need to set up multiple SMTP front-end servers using DNS round robin, which will accept messages, then deliver them. Zimbra can support this, and let's hope they're turning it on now.

stev32k
Premium Member
Mobile, AL

stev32k to wth

Premium Member

to wth
I tried the new web mail interface and it seems like it will be pretty slick if they ever get it working. I can't send or receive, but when I logged in it picked up all my contacts.

It's the same Outlook Web Access a couple of my clients have and they work well.
MediacomJoel
join:2009-10-03

MediacomJoel to wth

to wth
Can anyone please test and see if it is now allowing you to send an email with your old settings. Please let me know!

Thank you!

twansenne
join:2003-10-27
IA

twansenne

News from DesMoines Register about email migration.....

»www.desmoinesregister.co ··· 12/1001/

stev32k
Premium Member
Mobile, AL

stev32k to MediacomJoel

Premium Member

to MediacomJoel
I put the original settings back in and outlook reported they failed. The message said I should check my email address.
MediacomJoel

MediacomJoel

can you post the exact message?

bouncer5150
@mchsi.com

bouncer5150 to OldCableGuy1

Anon

to OldCableGuy1
said by OldCableGuy1 :

Just an FYI: Zimbra is an open source program. It is simply the application Mediacom chose to use for their web based email. I don't know why everyone is jumping down their throat, they have nothing to do with the debacle.

As for the reports that all email will be delivered, that's a flat-out lie. That's not the way SMTP works. If the server doesn't accept the message (which is what is happening) eventually the sending server stops trying to send. When you get a "bounce" email, that means that it gave up, the email is not going through.

Mediacom should have setup a DNS backup MX record for a cache and forward server to cache all these emails, but the bounces show they didn't.

I sent a test message to myself 24+ hours ago and it just bounced back. So, that means that anyone that sent me a message in the past two days will get a bounced back more then 24 hours after they sent it?

BTW, KWWL local news in eastern iowa just ran a story on the outage at the top of their newscast. The story ended with "MediaCom could not be reached for comment".
Turbocpe
Premium Member
join:2001-12-22
IA

Turbocpe to twansenne

Premium Member

to twansenne
According to that article:
said by Phyllis Peters via DesMoines Register :

Peters described the problem as a capacity issue. A high volume of spam and other messages clogged the system during the migration, and the spam filters have to adjust, she explained. The company’s engineers added three servers to handle the backlog.
Wasn't that pretty much the issue with the DNS when Mediacom transitioned off of AT&T? DNS would appear to work, until prime time.
said by twansenne:

News from DesMoines Register about email migration.....

»www.desmoinesregister.co ··· 12/1001/

stev32k
Premium Member
Mobile, AL

stev32k to MediacomJoel

Premium Member

to MediacomJoel
Here it is:

MediacomJoel

MediacomJoel to wth

to wth
thats with mail.mchsi.com without SSL enabled, correct?

docbutterfly
@mchsi.com

docbutterfly to wth

Anon

to wth
It's been almost two days beyond time of installation of the new mediacom email system, sounded like a smooth transition that we'd not need to do anything in it, all email addresses smoothly transfered over....haha...Had rec'd a few emails today, but haven't been able to send anything to anyone, they all bounce back. I assume they've run into a problem of sorts messing it all up?? But then this had been happening a long time ago far before rec'd any notification they were changing the system. Makes one wonder... what has happened. An alert pops up they are using somesort of certificate and then something happens in the root certificate if I still want to use this IP server. Going on much too long.
Thank you.....
Snoopy in Mason City, IA

stev32k
Premium Member
Mobile, AL

stev32k to MediacomJoel

Premium Member

to MediacomJoel
Yes, ports 110 & 25, no ssl, mail.mchsi.com
Booya7
join:2009-02-16
Berlin, MD

1 edit

Booya7 to MediacomJoel

to MediacomJoel
Still cannot send out email. Getting "send message error" I am using Thunderbird. It says i have chosen to use authentication but i don't have those checked. I'm using mail.mchsi.com settings.