join:2009-05-24
Cleveland, OH
kudos:1
reply to k1ll3rdr4g0n

Re: Usage billing NOT just because of more revenue

said by k1ll3rdr4g0n:

said by FFH:

said by karlmarx:

I BUILD NETWORKS. Yes, maintenance contracts, but again, those are CAPITAL costs.
LOL. Go back to school. Maintenance contracts are NOT capital costs. They are operating costs.
I agree with karlmarx, until someone can prove to me that it costs carrier's $$$ per byte, I won't buy your opinion TK.
Can you backup with facts stating that it costs carriers $$$ per byte? Last time I checked a T1 is a flat rate cost of, lets argue $400/month. That means I can use 1TB or 1KB and I pay $400/month.
In fact I have Comcast business and I pay a flat fee of $80/month. That means wither I move 1TB or data in a month or 1KB, MY bill doesn't go up or down.

TK, I think your missing the bigger picture - carriers don't want to charge per byte because that is what they are paying or want to shape user's usage, but they are charging per byte to milk the customers because they pay a flat fee for the bandwidth to the towers (roaming and out of country are different stories). Now, if a T1 was limited to 1TB then obviously carriers would be an good argument to charge per byte.

Now, if AT&T was really about shaping user's usage on the network, they would use QoS to throttle the user's speed. It CAN BE DONE, as T-Mobile does it (read their TOS if you don't believe me). And then with that you can create buckets of packages -
So for example Tier 1 you get 1GB of unaffected data transfer then after that you will get throttled back. Then have more Tiers that cost more per month. This way the carrier gets the cash, while not milking the customer AND it solves the slow internet problem. Now, as far as calling goes -
Get rid of this "minute" crap (what is this AOL?), and goto points. Give users X points and during peak hours subtract 2 points per minute, but during off hours only subtract 1 point. This way it encourages users to use the network off peak hours.

It CAN be done without milking the customers for all they are worth, carriers like AT&T just don't don't want to put the effort forward to actually make a long term profit.

Mark my words, AT&T is a sinking ship.
Here`s a better idea for AT&T. How about they use those billions and billions of dollars in pure, unadulterated profit to build more towers and expand their coverage area? How about AT&T use some of those billions to draw fiber to the towers? They have the money. They`ve been stockpiling it for years. It`s time to use it.

How about the government or appropriate regulatory agencies make a requirement that AT&T has to provide coverage for an entire state (the *entire state*, every inch of it), if they want to offer service to that state?

k1ll3rdr4g0n

join:2005-03-19
Homer Glen, IL

said by sonicmerlin:

Here`s a better idea for AT&T. How about they use those billions and billions of dollars in pure, unadulterated profit to build more towers and expand their coverage area? How about AT&T use some of those billions to draw fiber to the towers? They have the money. They`ve been stockpiling it for years. It`s time to use it.

How about the government or appropriate regulatory agencies make a requirement that AT&T has to provide coverage for an entire state (the *entire state*, every inch of it), if they want to offer service to that state?
I'm all for it, but carriers are using those billions of dollars to make sure that doesn't happen. Kind of ironic isn't it?

Alcohol
Premium
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to sonicmerlin

said by sonicmerlin:

Excuse me? You have it all wrong. You're missing the the part about billions of dollars going to executive bonuses

k1ll3rdr4g0n

join:2005-03-19
Homer Glen, IL

said by Alcohol:

said by sonicmerlin:

Excuse me? You have it all wrong. You're missing the the part about billions of dollars going to executive bonuses
Oh right, thanks for reminding us about CEOs bonuses for running companies into the ground.

To be honest, I almost wish that we didn't outlaw cruel and unusual punishment. I would force that CEO to have electric shock treatments until he had a grasp on reality again.