how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada

Rules are rules... Or at least they should be.

TELUS, at least, has a right to protest this ruling... It was only a few years ago, that the CRTC slapped TELUS around about the % of Verizon ownership, and forced the stake to be reduced.

The CRTC ruled on this matter, Industry Canada shouldn't over-rule it, without grounds... And "Negative Press" isn't grounds enough.

Not that I love the CRTC - if Industry Canada disbanded them tomorrow, I'd be very happy - all I'm saying is that IC and the CRTC can't choose which rulings to enforce, and which to ignore... It opens the whole process up to debate and doubt.

But then again, maybe that's not such a bad thing, after all?

Laz

sbrook
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa
kudos:13

LazMan, the difference here is the matter of control, not just ownership.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to LazMan

The law says nothing about ownership. Globalive fully met the requirements of the law. The problem came when the CRTC tried to apply the subjective part of the law, how much *influence* does Orascom have. The CRTC thought it was too much, IC thought it wasn't. Because there was a disagreement, it was bumped up to the government to decide who was right. The government decided that IC was right, and the CRTC was wrong. They couldn't both be right.

So, you're pretty far off-base; IC had already ruled on this (they were the first ones). The CRTC tried to overrule them, and now the government has basically said to the CRTC "You can't overrule them"

sbrook
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa
kudos:13

This is the first intelligent thing related to Telecoms that has come out of IC in years in terms of the CRTC behaviour!