spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Cgibsong002
@verizon.net

Cgibsong002

Anon

[modem/router] slow speeds with multiple connections

Hey, I'm not really sure where to go, so I'm looking for some help. The internet slows down incredibly whenever multiple users connect. If all computers but one are disconnected, the connection speed is fine. We have a Westell 6100 modem and an MN-700 microsoft router. The problem occurs whether the additional computers are connected through wireless or not. I'd imagine the problem lies somewhere within how the router is set up, or can DSL simply not handle multiple users? We never had this problem before, so it's quite confusing.

current speed tests with two connections:
download (.70 mb/s)
upload (.11mb/s)
ping (96ms)

even still i'm fairly sure that's bad, but at least it's useable.

test with one more connection added:
download (.41 mb/s)
upload (.03 mb/s)
ping (93ms)

and these are all speeds i tested while other connections were inactive. when everyone is trying to do stuff at the same time, the signal usually cuts off eventually.

thanks!
kben1028
Premium Member
join:2006-09-18
Pottsville, PA

kben1028

Premium Member

DSL can definitely handle multiple users and routed traffic. What service tier are you subscribed to?

cgibsong002
@verizon.net

cgibsong002 to Cgibsong002

Anon

to Cgibsong002
its now down to .15 mb/s, .05 mb/s, and 744 ping... that's much more like how it's been.

i can't find any of my information right now on our service. is there anything that verizon installed on my computer or anything online that i can check to find what service we have?

Bytebender
Premium Member
join:2008-02-12
Canada

Bytebender

Premium Member

Your 6100 stores Transceiver Statistics that can tell you about speeds and DSL line conditions.

If the Internet light is lit on the 6100, connect a computer directly to the 6100 and visit 192.168.1.1/transtat.htm with a browser to view the Transceiver Statistics

If the Internet light is not lit on the 6100, in addition to above you will need to set a static IP in the computer's network connections info. use 192.168.1.3, subnet mask 255.255.255.0 and default gateway 129.168.1.1

Post the transceiver statistics here so people can evaluate them and see if there's a problem on the line,

cgibsong002
@verizon.net

cgibsong002

Anon

it says i need a username and password to connect to that? not sure what that would be...
cgibsong002

cgibsong002 to Bytebender

Anon

to Bytebender
Transceiver Revision: 7.2.3.0
Vendor ID Code: 4
Line Mode: G.DMT Mode
Data Path: Fast

Transceiver Information Downstream Path Upstream Path
DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 864 160
Margin (dB) 26.0 6.0
Line Attenuation (dB) 22.5 13.5
Transmit Power (dBm) -1.7 -3.4
chrisk19938
join:2008-08-18
Clayton, DE

chrisk19938

thats your problem. a 768 DSL trying to push multiple pc's its gonna be slower

cgibsong002
@verizon.net

cgibsong002

Anon

what does that mean? we need a different service?

Bytebender
Premium Member
Canada

Bytebender to cgibsong002

Premium Member

to cgibsong002
By the stats your line seems provisioned and the 768 or 3/4M speed package. Speed tests with a single machine, not running any other programs or web pages, and connected by ethernet cable, with all other machines powered off, should show speeds in the .7M or 700K range.
Have you tried rebooting the modem and router, (shut off for ten seconds, not reset).

cgibsong002
@verizon.net

cgibsong002

Anon

i reset/unplugged both modem and router for 15 seconds, then powered the modem back on, left the router unplugged. direct connection from modem to computer, no other programs/ web pages up. got these stats now... seem the same to me:

Transceiver Revision: 7.2.3.0
Vendor ID Code: 4
Line Mode: G.DMT Mode
Data Path: Fast

Transceiver Information Downstream Path Upstream Path
DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 864 160
Margin (dB) 27.5 6.0
Line Attenuation (dB) 22.5 13.5
Transmit Power (dBm) -2.0 -3.4

something you mentioned before about the internet light on the modem... should it be constantly lit? it's always blinking on and off.

thanks
bfollett
join:2005-09-20
North Billerica, MA

bfollett

You look to be only on the 768k plan. I believe everyone on that plan is eligible for a free upgrade to the new 1Mb plan, you should contact verizon and get that taken care of. There are even faster plans available, but they will cost you more.

Bob

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt to Cgibsong002

MVM

to Cgibsong002
Problem is not multiple users per sa it is what they are doing. If the computer is not access the Internet it will have no effect on performance. It is impossible to predict exactly how traffic from multiple computers will be merged over a DSL single pipe.

Your stats indicate you have reasonable short circuit. In addition to free upgrade may want to think about upgrading to 3000/768 service.

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY

Smith6612 to cgibsong002

MVM

to cgibsong002
Your line is good to go for pretty much every package you'd want to get for more speed. You'll need to get the upstream margin fixed though as the modem is reporting it's pretty bad. That should be 10dB or above (in your line, it should be ~30dB).

Bytebender
Premium Member
Canada

Bytebender to cgibsong002

Premium Member

to cgibsong002
said by cgibsong002 :

something you mentioned before about the internet light on the modem... should it be constantly lit? it's always blinking on and off.
The Internet light, lights up green when the 6100 is holding your public IP and should flash as traffic passes over the connection.
However it is usually recommended to "bridge" the 6100, or turn off it's internal router, when using another router behind it as you are. When the 6100 is in bridge mode, the internet light will be off.
But that's not your main concern at the moment.

As Smith6612 pointed out, the upstream noise margin is too low, (meaning the DSLAM equipment at Verizon's end is having a very hard time "hearing" your modem over the other noise on the line. This is likely what's causing your headaches. As well the negative transmit power is unusual.
I would recommend you register on this site and post your issue and stats in the Verizon Direct forum here.

tschmidt
MVM
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt to Smith6612

MVM

to Smith6612
said by Smith6612:

You'll need to get the upstream margin fixed though as the modem is reporting it's pretty bad. That should be 10dB or above (in your line, it should be ~30dB).
I was confused about that also. A assume it is not correct and an artifact of having such low transmit power (about 1/2 miliwatt) Just about anything will work with only 13 dB of attenuation.

/tom

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY

Smith6612

MVM

I noticed the negative transmit power too. I'm not sure what causes that but I'm sure it is some glitch though. I've seen lines that show stats exactly like the OP's running in my area without issues.

tschmidt
MVM
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt

MVM

said by Smith6612:

I noticed the negative transmit power too.
0 dBm is 1milliwatt, so -3 dBm is .5mw. dB (decibel) is simply the logarithmic ratio between two points. The problem is not the negative power number but the fact modem is only reporting a 6 dB noise ratio. I assume, but don't know for sure, that is a firmware bug. Not many circuits are so short to require less then a miliwatt of transmit power.

/tom