spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Vendetta950
join:2000-09-16
Winnipeg, MB

Vendetta950

FYI on Windows XP Pro Connection Issues

A while back I posted an issue I had with Windows XP Pro and it not properly releasing connections when I forced a disconnect. This problem did not exist when I ran Windows 2000 Professional or any other MS operating system.

It also was not happening to a co-worker of mine who was running XP Pro as well.

Then last night a savior appeared on my Instant Messenger. Our own Kinguni was able to successfully resolve my issue. Now, I have not spent much time in the forums as of late, so I may be just repeating what is already known but I wish to publicly thank King for his help.

The problem - Windows XP and ZoneAlarm do not play well together.

With ZA running (I have the Pro version) when I disconnected any type of connection (either DSL or dial-up) it would not completely release the resources bound to the adapter. All the IP address' would be zeroed out but the bindings to the last used adapter were still active. Thus, I could never reconnect with either the last used connection type or with the other adapter.

The only way to clear was to reboot. Not something I really want to do because I spend much time switching back and forth between the two connection types.

So, based on King's recommendation I un-installed ZoneAlarm and installed Tiny Personal Firewall 2.0!

After install I checked both the connections and finally it worked! TCP/IP resources were released as they should be. Connect/reconnect issues were gone!

Again - thanks King for all your assistance - you saved me from going prematurely bald!
72245156 (banned)
TSWB.org
join:2000-07-11
Winnipeg, MB

72245156 (banned)

said by VendettaOM:
Again - thanks King for all your assistance - you saved me from going prematurely bald!

Your welcome Russ. It's too late for my hair, so I'm glad I saved someone's.

mau108
Mau
Premium Member
join:2001-10-07
Thornhill, ON

mau108 to Vendetta950

Premium Member

to Vendetta950
HEY I HAVE THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM WITH MY DSL CONNECTION!!! SAME OS AND THE SAME ZONEALARM...

GUESS ILL BE THROWING OUT ZONE ALARM....

CJ30
join:2000-07-18
USA

CJ30 to Vendetta950

to Vendetta950
Just to add another "Thank You."

Kinguni did the same for me 2 weeks ago over the exact same messenger service.

Coincidence,........Maybe Not!:)