how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Anthony74

@sbcglobal.net

[Modem] Safe to sell old modem?

Hi all,

I've got an old Speedstream 4100 that I never used. I think I got it when I re-upped my contract, but I just kept using my 2wire.

Well, my friend just signed up for ATT DSL and chose not to buy one of their modems. I guess they wanted 60 some bucks and only offered rebates on the router models, and he already has an Apple router.

Can I just give him my speedstream and have it work for him?

Also, is there any of my info inside the router? I just don't want any of my account info on it and I'm not sure if it's in anyway linked to my account if I never even used it. Maybe I need to use the reset button?

Any info or links to help me set him up would be great as well. I was poking around and couldn't find the CD-Less setup guide. I'm disabled and I'm not able to research on the net like I used to be able to.

Thanks!

VegasMan
Are We There Yet?
Premium
join:2002-11-17
Schaumburg, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T Midwest

1 edit
Sure he can use it no problem.
No info on it from you so you're clear.

Try this link for setup.
»AT&T Midwest/Ameritech FAQ »Efficient/Siemens 4100 modem setup and Reference Info
--
In need of a Vegas vacation.

nwrickert
sand groper
Premium,MVM
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL
kudos:7
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to Anthony74
Yes, the modem should work for your friend.

If you have ever used the modem, then your account and password are saved there. I think it doesn't display the password, and your friend probably knows your account (email address).

If you never put this info there youself, then you are fine. As received from AT&T, it has no account or password information.
--
AT&T Uverse; Zyxel NBG334W router (behind the 2wire gateway); openSuSE 11.0; firefox 3.0.15

Anthony74

@sbcglobal.net
reply to Anthony74
Oops didn't mean to quote myself.

I'm a member, but couldn't remember my SN.

Anthony74

@sbcglobal.net
reply to Anthony74
said by Anthony74 :

Hi all,

I've got an old Speedstream 4100 that I never used. I think I got it when I re-upped my contract, but I just kept using my 2wire.

Well, my friend just signed up for ATT DSL and chose not to buy one of their modems. I guess they wanted 60 some bucks and only offered rebates on the router models, and he already has an Apple router.

Can I just give him my speedstream and have it work for him?

Also, is there any of my info inside the router? I just don't want any of my account info on it and I'm not sure if it's in anyway linked to my account if I never even used it. Maybe I need to use the reset button?

Any info or links to help me set him up would be great as well. I was poking around and couldn't find the CD-Less setup guide. I'm disabled and I'm not able to research on the net like I used to be able to.

Thanks!
Thanks very much! You made things easy for me!

wayjac
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy
kudos:1
reply to Anthony74
said by Anthony74 :

Any info or links to help me set him up would be great as well. I was poking around and couldn't find the CD-Less setup guide.
Here's some faq links that may help
How do I register a username and password for my new account
Funhouse 5100b/4100 Setup and Reference Info

Anthony74

@sbcglobal.net
Hey folks, just 2 more questions.

Turns out, he found his old modem. I think a Westel, from when he had century tel DSL.

Could he use this modem? Then maybe I could hang onto or sell mine. I thought it may be best to still give him mine since it's the one ATT uses or used to anyways. I don't know if that makes it more compatible or not? It may help if he has to call in for service and they have to walk him through anything.

The other thing I was wondering was if he needed to use the filters on any of the phone lines if he doesn't have home phone service? He uses his cell so he just ordered DSL only.

Thanks again!

Anthony

nwrickert
sand groper
Premium,MVM
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL
kudos:7
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
He can probably use the Westell, assuming that it is in working condition.

If there is nothing on the line other than the dsl modem, then filters are not needed.
--
AT&T Uverse; Zyxel NBG334W router (behind the 2wire gateway); openSuSE 11.0; firefox 3.0.15