spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

yjkhan

join:2009-01-25
Ottawa, ON

[Serious] What is HSPA and what is it compatible with?

Other than the name, High Speed Packet Access, I need to know what HSPA is. Bell & Telus have moved to it, Rogers will move to it too. My understanding is that HSPA phones use SIM cards like they do in GSM phones, does this mean they are compatible? If I have an unlocked GSM Fido phone, will I be able to put a Bell or Telus SIM card into it and get it to work on their network?

If I were to get a cellphone from overseas which is said to be capable of using HSDPA (downlink), then does that make it automatically an HSPA phone? My understanding is that HSPDA and HSUPA (uplink) are part of the HSPA standard. So if something is advertized to be HSDPA- or HSUPA-compatible, then does it mean that it's by definition HSPA?

Lots of confusion to clear up.

HoboJ

join:2008-03-27
Cornwall, ON
kudos:1

I'm not even entirely sure myself.

Though as I understand it, HSPA is the technology used to transmit the signals from a phone to a cell tower and vise versa. This however doesn't mean a HSPA phone can be taken and used on any cellphone network because of the different frequencies used by different cellphone networks. Hope this helps somewhat.

BryceS

join:2007-09-17
Vanier, ON
reply to yjkhan

Rogers, Bell, and Telus all use the same type of HSPA network.

If a phone is HSPA/HSPA+/HSDPA/HSUPA on 850/1900MHz then it is compatible.

bryanviper

join:2002-10-12
Toronto, CAN
reply to yjkhan

I'm guessing you are thinking of switching companies... if you are, make sure to take a look at our new Competition,

Wind Mobile,
»www.windmobile.ca

BryceS

Vanier, ON
Reviews:
·ELECTRONICBOX

said by bryanviper:

I'm guessing you are thinking of switching companies... if you are, make sure to take a look at our new Competition,

Wind Mobile,
»www.windmobile.ca
A single city so far, they need to improve their coverage.

Not everybody lives in Toronto.

bryanviper

join:2002-10-12
Toronto, CAN
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

Well I think its GTA & Calgary? or something around there.

They did also just launch on Wed you cant expect them to have all of Canada covered, it does take time. But they are expanding quickly by the sounds of it. Adding a few more citys early 1010

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON
reply to yjkhan

said by yjkhan:
Bell & Telus have moved to it, Rogers will move to it too.
Bell and Telus have recently launched it (maybe 2 months now)...Rogers launched it about 18 months ago.

quote:
My understanding is that HSPA phones use SIM cards like they do in GSM phones, does this mean they are compatible? If I have an unlocked GSM Fido phone, will I be able to put a Bell or Telus SIM card into it and get it to work on their network?
HSPA phones do use SIM cards, but HSPA is not the same as GSM...you can not use a GSM phone on Bell, as they do NOT have a GSM network...only Rogers has a GSM network in Canada.
--
Today's motto: Dearly beloved, We are gathered here today to bid farewell to personal responsibility and accountability.

jpaik

join:2002-01-09
Hamilton, ON

1 edit
reply to yjkhan

Take a look at the chart on this link. It will tell you what spectrum your phone needs to work on the newly launched HSPA network. Pay particular attention to the note on unlocked phones from Rogers and Fido. As was pointed out, GSM phones will not work on the "Bellus" network.

»www.howardforums.com/showthread.···=1594910
--
minimum waste, maximum joy

yjkhan

Ottawa, ON

1 edit

said by jpaik:

Take a look at the chart on this link. It will tell you what spectrum your phone needs to work on the newly launched HSPA network. Pay particular attention to the note on unlocked phones from Rogers and Fido. As was pointed out, GSM phones will not work on the "Bellus" network.

»www.howardforums.com/showthread.···=1594910
Thanks, this helps.

BTW, the list mentions something called WCDMA being compatible with Telus & Bell, as well as HSDPA. To me it seems that's a modification of CDMA, so are CDMA and GSM technologies mixing together these days?

BryceS

Vanier, ON
reply to yjkhan

WCDMA is the air interface of HSPA.

yjkhan

Ottawa, ON

said by BryceS:

WCDMA is the air interface of HSPA.
The table lists UMTS, HSDPA, & WCDMA as being variously compatible. What is the difference between each other?

SK
The member formerly known as Cow
Premium
join:2001-05-18
Toronto

WCDMA is a successor of the GSM family, and not of the CDMA family of Bellus' old network.

I think WCDMA is the overall system, and UMTS, HSDPA are different segments of it. Even though Rogers, Bell and Telus, all have HSPA now, your Fido GSM phone, assuming that its unlocked, will only work on Rogers. This is because Bellus have a new strictly 3G network, whereas Rogers has its old GSM network as well as a new 3G network.
--
Harper is a pro rogue.

jpaik

Hamilton, ON
reply to yjkhan

This might be helpful (from a glossary available here: »www.gsmarena.com/glossary.php3)

UMTS

UMTS or the Universal Mobile Telecommunications System is a third generation wireless network technology which allows speeds of up to 2Mbps.

UMTS is based on the WCDMA technology, which is why these terms have become interchangeable

HSDPA (High-Speed Downlink Packet Access)

An upgrade for UMTS networks that doubles network capacity and increases download data speeds by five times or more.
The service was initially deployed at 1.8 Mbps but upgrades to the networks and new user devices led to increased rates of 3.6 Mbps, followed by 7.2 Mbps.

HSDPA only handles the downlink while the uplink is handled by a related technology called HSUPA. The combination of both technologies is usually called HSPA.

WCDMA (Wideband Code Division Multiple Access)

Wideband CDMA is a third-generation (3G) wireless standard which allows use of both voice and data and offers data speeds of up to 384 Kbps.

The frequency bands for WCDMA are as follows: Europe and Asia - 2100MHz, North America - 1900MHz and 850MHz.

WCDMA is also called UMTS and the two terms have become interchangeable.

Some parts of the WCDMA are based on GSM technology and the networks are designed to integrate the GSM networks at some levels.
--

yjkhan

Ottawa, ON
reply to SK

said by SK:

WCDMA is a successor of the GSM family, and not of the CDMA family of Bellus' old network.

I think WCDMA is the overall system, and UMTS, HSDPA are different segments of it. Even though Rogers, Bell and Telus, all have HSPA now, your Fido GSM phone, assuming that its unlocked, will only work on Rogers. This is because Bellus have a new strictly 3G network, whereas Rogers has its old GSM network as well as a new 3G network.
Ah, okay, so that is good to know, it definitely was a source of confusion to find out that WCDMA is related to GSM rather than CDMA.

yjkhan

Ottawa, ON
reply to jpaik

said by jpaik:

HSDPA (High-Speed Downlink Packet Access)

An upgrade for UMTS networks that doubles network capacity and increases download data speeds by five times or more.
The service was initially deployed at 1.8 Mbps but upgrades to the networks and new user devices led to increased rates of 3.6 Mbps, followed by 7.2 Mbps.

HSDPA only handles the downlink while the uplink is handled by a related technology called HSUPA. The combination of both technologies is usually called HSPA.
So a phone quoted to be HSDPA-capable isn't necessarily also HSUPA capable too?

Are HSPA protocols only relevant to data transmission, but not voice?

said by jpaik:

WCDMA (Wideband Code Division Multiple Access)

Wideband CDMA is a third-generation (3G) wireless standard which allows use of both voice and data and offers data speeds of up to 384 Kbps.

The frequency bands for WCDMA are as follows: Europe and Asia - 2100MHz, North America - 1900MHz and 850MHz.

WCDMA is also called UMTS and the two terms have become interchangeable.

Some parts of the WCDMA are based on GSM technology and the networks are designed to integrate the GSM networks at some levels.
So are all of the technologies that currently exist for CDMA now out of date? Things like EV-DO, etc.?

jpaik

Hamilton, ON

CDMA, as we know it in Canada, will be around for quite some time.
--

yjkhan

Ottawa, ON

said by jpaik:

CDMA, as we know it in Canada, will be around for quite some time.
Sure, as a legacy mode certainly, but what about new phones coming out supporting it? Maybe for another year, or two years?

jpaik

Hamilton, ON

I've heard 2 years +.