uniqs
cseeman
join:2005-12-25
Brooklyn, NY

1 recommendation

cseeman to jaa

to jaa

Re: And the slowdown continues...

I'll bet GM thinks the same way that you do. Unfortunately CV won't be getting a bailout. CV markets like crazy compared to FIOS.

AT&T will certainly lose when Apple adds another provider. Apple's doing just fine in as time goes on, are ending the exclusive provider contracts.

All it will take is a few percentage of the CV customers leaving to impact them. The upper tier customers are more profitable, otherwise why sell it. So their leaving will hurt the most financially.

I think in the end Time Warner will buy CV just as they did Adelphia in upstate NY if this continues. Not that Time Warner would be a good provider (been there done that) but CV is going to have a rough time as FIOS expands (as well as various DISH competitors). It's why CV spends so much on marketing.
Dino Velvet
join:2003-08-21
Westbury, NY

3 edits

1 recommendation

Dino Velvet to CVtek

to CVtek
said by CVtekOn a side note: My Lamborghini was advertised to do 200 MPH but I don't call the dealer when I am doing 45 MPH stuck in traffic.[/BQUOTE :

and you certainly shouldn't, because it was your choice to drive on the road with traffic, and you could certainly get off that road at any time and open it up to 200mph if you choose to...

bottom line, i can get 12m down and 2m up any time between midnight and 5:00pm, but from 5:00pm to midnight the BEST that i can get 2m down and 2m up. sure, CV can tell me all day that 2m is acceptable because they legally can, but anyone that has left the house in the last 10 years will say that an 80%+ drop in DL speeds at a particular time of the day is a big problem...

at 7:15pm

at 1:44am later that night

CVtek
@optonline.net

CVtek

Anon

said by Dino Velvet:

said by CVtekOn a side note: My Lamborghini was advertised to do 200 MPH but I don't call the dealer when I am doing 45 MPH stuck in traffic.[/BQUOTE :

and you certainly shouldn't, because it was your choice to drive on the road with traffic, and you could certainly get off that road at any time and open it up to 200mph if you choose to...

bottom line, i can get 12m down and 2m up any time between midnight and 5:00pm, but from 5:00pm to midnight the BEST that i can get 2m down and 2m up. sure, CV can tell me all day that 2m is acceptable because they legally can, but anyone that has left the house in the last 10 years will say that an 80%+ drop in DL speeds at a particular time of the day is a big problem...

at 7:15pm

at 1:44am later that night

NO ONE IS SAYING 2 MEG IS GOOD ENOUGH. Although in reality they never advertise a MIN speed. The OP said his speeds drop to 11 meg for 5 months every year. That is WELL within Cablevision's acceptable range AND no matter what analogies we use it comes down to the fact that CABLEVISION OFFERS "UP TO" 15 meg AND the speeds you see will be lower than that most of the time.... IT IS NO SECRET. If a customer requires 15 meg guaranteed speed then they need to change provider or tiers. If they change to boost and get 11 meg then CV will attempt to fix it, if you are in their"up to " 15 meg service and it goes to 11, they will do nothing as it is WITHIN SPECS.

Again I am not saying the way they advertise is right but the speeds ARE NOT GOING TO BE 15 MEG and they don't claim it will be. They are not falsely advertising. Now if the speeds go to 2 meg there is a problem and they need to fix it.

If too many people don't like the way CV advertises there speed they will cancel service, then CV will be force to do something. However as the numbers in this thread show their saturation continues to climb... so obviously someone likes the service.
cseeman
Brooklyn, NY

2 edits

1 recommendation

cseeman

said by CVtek
If too many people don't like the way CV advertises there speed they will cancel service, then CV will be force to do something. However as the numbers in this thread show their saturation continues to climb... so obviously someone likes the service.

It could mean pent up demand to jump to other providers as they appear in the affected area.

For many people they have no competitive choice yet.

CV's marketing blitz will come back to bite them if they can't deliver close to the speeds they offer. While growth may be due to the marketing blitz, retention is going to be an issue over time.

JRW2
R.I.P. Mom, Brian, Gary, Ziggy, Max.
Premium Member
join:2004-12-20
La La Land

JRW2 to CVtek

Premium Member

to CVtek
said by CVtek :

The OP said his speeds drop to 11 meg for 5 months every year.
No, I said my speeds drop to less than HALF of advertised from the end November until late March. I said I was told by support that anything under 11Meg was not acceptable.

CVtek
@optonline.net

CVtek

Anon

said by JRW2:

said by CVtek :

The OP said his speeds drop to 11 meg for 5 months every year.
No, I said my speeds drop to less than HALF of advertised from the end November until late March. I said I was told by support that anything under 11Meg was not acceptable.
As we talked about before if a rep said under 11 is unacceptable they were wrong. You even said yourself that at the end of your calls with service they always say your speed is acceptable.

Also as much as you and the next guy ( and even the techs in the field ) hate it half is still acceptable to Cablevision. Even as a tech I wish CV would guarantee a speed and stick to it but unfortunately they don't. As I stated before there are many people who get 8 or so meg regularly. If you happen to get more than that 7 months out of the year you are luckier than most of us.

If you are dropping to 2 or 4 meg than I agree there is a problem. I am also not going to argue about CV choice of advertising the way it does.

Within this thread there are people talking about very slow speeds like the 2 or 4 meg I mentioned. I am not saying that there isn't a problem there, I am simply saying that if you are getting 8 or 10 meg it is still acceptable per CV guidelines even if you got 15 meg everyday last month.

NoMasNoMas
@optonline.net

NoMasNoMas to CVtek

Anon

to CVtek
said by CVtek :

On a side note: My Lamborghini was advertised to do 200 MPH but I don't call the dealer when I am doing 45 MPH stuck in traffic.
No, but if your car dealer also built the road and managed all the traffic on it and (which is the correct analogy here) then you would be absolutely correct to hold him responsible for constant slowdowns.

trucktire
@optonline.net

trucktire to JRW2

Anon

to JRW2
i'm getting 3/4 on my boost connection at the moment...

it's 12:41, it's usually GAINING speed by this point and is usually right next to 30/5 a little later.

keep up the good work, cv, I suppose.
frdrizzt
join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY

frdrizzt to JRW2

to JRW2
said by JRW2:

I just did a test on mine... I'm at 9.48/2.03, probably the best I have seen in weeks. I NEVER see over 10 download out my house and everything is well within specs.
While this may be something that is obvious and therefore checked numerous times, have you confirmed that no LAN devices are running at a 10 Mbps port speed? I only ask because you said you never get above 10.

JRW2
Premium Member
La La Land

JRW2

Premium Member

said by frdrizzt:
said by JRW2:

I just did a test on mine... I'm at 9.48/2.03, probably the best I have seen in weeks. I NEVER see over 10 download out my house and everything is well within specs.
While this may be something that is obvious and therefore checked numerous times, have you confirmed that no LAN devices are running at a 10 Mbps port speed? I only ask because you said you never get above 10.
No LAN devices running at 10Meg. Gig network adaptor.

JustPassing
@optonline.net

1 recommendation

JustPassing to CVtek

Anon

to CVtek
quote:
said by CVtek
You presume that people who need/want broadband internet always have a choice of ISP's and can easily choose between one or the other. If this was the case- I would certainly give FIOS a try, but where I live in Brookhaven Township- FIOS is not available, and where I work in Riverhead- FIOS is not available either. So, we can't simply cancel out broadband accounts with Cablevision even if we're totally fed up with their poor ISP service and even worse repair service.
They're the only game in town for broadband in many areas and they're keenly aware of this fact which is clearly evident with their "take it or leave it" attitude.

When you think of it.... Cablevision is being rewarded by providing slow service- our speeds at work were so bad we just "upgraded" to Boost to get 8-12Mbps during the work day. So now we're paying extra to get the speeds we got with the base level service just 12 months ago.
Pretty sweet racket if you're running the service......

CVtek
@cablevision.com

CVtek to frdrizzt

Anon

to frdrizzt
said by frdrizzt:

said by JRW2:

I am directly connected to the modem using a Cablevision test laptop that I have used to test boost in the field and have seen over 10 meg in the field quite often.
CVtek

CVtek to NoMasNoMas

Anon

to NoMasNoMas
said by NoMasNoMas :

said by CVtek :

On a side note: My Lamborghini was advertised to do 200 MPH but I don't call the dealer when I am doing 45 MPH stuck in traffic.
No, but if your car dealer also built the road and managed all the traffic on it and (which is the correct analogy here) then you would be absolutely correct to hold him responsible for constant slowdowns.
So now cablevision built and manages the entire internet?

I don't know why I have to keep saying this... I agree that 2 or 4 meg is too slow and if your speed goes that slow AND the cause is within Cablevisions system they should fix it but my point within this thread is that 8 Meg is WITHIN acceptable Cablevision specs.
The Patriot
join:2006-03-17
Syosset, NY

2 edits

The Patriot

and this in my opinion is the mentality that needs to change when competition is available. CV supposedly claiming (but you won't find it anywhere in writing) that 8Mb down for a 15/2 or 30/5 connection for 50 bucks a month or more is acceptable is just purely ludicrous. Especially for a so called state of the art network.

How 'bout service that is constantly 25/15 and no need to even argue it because it's always there without any fluctuation in speed...now that's service I expect, how about that for a novel idea.

MuDvAyNe
Premium Member
join:2002-03-02
Brooklyn, NY

1 edit

MuDvAyNe to JRW2

Premium Member

to JRW2
I'm having the same problem but mine is a little different. In the morning/ early afternoon and late evening (after midnight it seems) I get the full 15/2 speeds. However from about 4-11pm I am lucky to get over 100kb.
Levitate Me
join:2006-01-31

Levitate Me to JustPassing

to JustPassing
said by JustPassing :

When you think of it.... Cablevision is being rewarded by providing slow service- our speeds at work were so bad we just "upgraded" to Boost to get 8-12Mbps during the work day. So now we're paying extra to get the speeds we got with the base level service just 12 months ago.
Pretty sweet racket if you're running the service......
Someone brought that up before, and I happen to agree. If you do a search on my recent posts (or just browse what I've posted in this thread), you'll see I've been getting really slow speeds during prime hours for a few months now. In the last month or so I'm consistently getting speeds below 1 Mbps. In other words, $20 DSL would be getting me the same service right now. I called up OOL and what was one of their first suggestions? Upgrade to Boost. What the heck kind of advice is that? "What we're providing is working poorly, so give us more money." How about you get with the program instead? Is that too much to ask for?
jimboe
join:2000-08-14
New York

1 recommendation

jimboe

said by Levitate Me:

... In other words, $20 DSL would be getting me the same service right now. I called up OOL and what was one of their first suggestions? Upgrade to Boost. What the heck kind of advice is that? "What we're providing is working poorly, so give us more money." How about you get with the program instead? Is that too much to ask for?
Yes. That would require them to actually invest in their infrastructure and perform network upgrades.

Read: Split nodes to adequately support the amount of customers they've been packing in for the last couple of years. IOW, spend alot of $$$

JRW2
Premium Member
La La Land

1 recommendation

JRW2 to Levitate Me

Premium Member

to Levitate Me
said by Levitate Me:

I called up OOL and what was one of their first suggestions? Upgrade to Boost. What the heck kind of advice is that? "What we're providing is working poorly, so give us more money." How about you get with the program instead? Is that too much to ask for?
During one of my "sessions" with OOL service, they upgraded me to Boost, at no charge. I guess they figured I wouldn't notice and think my speeds had returned, except when you are expecting 14 Meg and you see 18, you wonder why...
I think they were taken aback that I noticed...

jaa
Premium Member
join:2000-06-13

jaa to JRW2

Premium Member

to JRW2
I don't know why people keep posting "xx meg is withing CV acceptable range." Who cares what they consider acceptable? It makes absolutely no difference. The ONLY thing that matters is if it is withing YOUR acceptable range. If is not acceptable to YOU, just cancel.

Why would a rational consumer pay for an unacceptable service?
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River

1 recommendation

PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

said by jaa:

If is not acceptable to YOU, just cancel.

Why would a rational consumer pay for an unacceptable service?
In my community, a prosperous Monmouth County suburb, it's all we've got.

Verizon FiOS has not come to our town.

Can't get Verizon DSL (HSI) because we're too far from the switch.

So it's the only way---short of wireless---to get internet.

That's why.

--------------------------------

BTW, I'm not complaining too much about OOL. It has been slow for me lately, yes, but at least they do serve my town. Verizon doesn't.

I'm therefore just answering your direct question.
cseeman
Brooklyn, NY

1 edit

cseeman to JRW2

to JRW2
This time they switched my modem to an SBV6220 and my speeds have been 32mbps down for about 4 hours and counting. So what's the difference you ask? It's a DOCSIS 3 modem. Signal shows it's bonded across three frequencies.

jaa
Premium Member

jaa to PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer704
Yes, I understand that. Perhaps it is just a difference in language.

I would consider that a rational consumer decision - purchasing the best available broadband based upon the speeds, features, and price.

I would not consider that an "unacceptable" service since they made a rational choice to accept it over any other alternative, including not getting broadband at all.

I am in a similar situation in CT - no Verizon here. Our old house was too far to get DSL, and although we are closer to the CO now our at&t phone line is such poor voice quality I'm not sure it would handle DSL - which wouldn't be as fast as OOL even if it could.

As long as my speeds are at least 3/.5, it would be better than DSL - and therefore acceptable to me.
Etymologies
join:2008-12-17

Etymologies to JRW2

to JRW2
And yet you seem to get it annually, some users like me.. Get it constantly, even worse during weekends. Yet of course OOL can continue to use the loop holes and exploit their terms and conditions.

jaa
Premium Member

jaa

Premium Member

said by Etymologies:

Yet of course OOL can continue to use the loop holes and exploit their terms and conditions.
And you can exercise your inalienable right as a consumer to say adios. Seems a real shame to send money to a company every month that is exploiting you.

privatepostr
@optonline.net

privatepostr

Anon

said by jaa:

said by Etymologies:

Yet of course OOL can continue to use the loop holes and exploit their terms and conditions.
And you can exercise your inalienable right as a consumer to say adios. Seems a real shame to send money to a company every month that is exploiting you.
It's also nice that they don't require any kind of contract... you are able to cancel anytime you want with absolutely no penalties or fees.

StreetSpirit
This spot reserved for Xenu.
Premium Member
join:2002-08-13
Roslyn, NY

StreetSpirit to cseeman

Premium Member

to cseeman
said by cseeman:

I'm on Boost. Up until Nov. I was consistently 27Mbps-31Mbps down. I've heard the same excuses from various techs about the speed not being guaranteed.

They tested the node and removed the other legs and tested mine jointly with me. They tested at the node while I tested at the same time while on the phone with them. They verified it's a problem and it's not related to saturation.

This means whole areas are being impacted probably much like the original poster.

A restaurant can't guarantee "good food" either but when they can't meet the expectations of large numbers of patrons, their "bottom line" suffers.
Ditto. Two days ago, 28mbps. Two days later, can't exceed 8-9mbps at any time of the day.

This is annoying as it causes your customers to waste their weekend away thinking that there's some issue they have either internally or externally.. Only after some of us have had trouble lasting for years (in my case) and have seen many folks who confirm that there's a problem, shake their head and nothing further is heard.

I do not accept the common excuses, but do understand ROI, and again wish that BOOST or a similar tier be offered on the DOCSIS 3 platform. In this area, Comcast has taken a lead. A good percentage of their users are taking advantage of the advanced bandwidth provisioning and capacity planning that DOCSIS 3 allows for.

One word: Erlang-b. If you're an IEEE member, you might want to take a look at »ieeexplore.ieee.org/Xplo ··· ion=-203

I sure hope Cablevision is moving towards a DOCSIS 3 plant so that three or four people uploading doesn't severely affect the rest of the node's population on that frequency.

Happy Holidays!
StreetSpirit

StreetSpirit to jimboe

Premium Member

to jimboe
said by jimboe:

said by Levitate Me:

... In other words, $20 DSL would be getting me the same service right now. I called up OOL and what was one of their first suggestions? Upgrade to Boost. What the heck kind of advice is that? "What we're providing is working poorly, so give us more money." How about you get with the program instead? Is that too much to ask for?
Yes. That would require them to actually invest in their infrastructure and perform network upgrades.

Read: Split nodes to adequately support the amount of customers they've been packing in for the last couple of years. IOW, spend alot of $$$
Comcast had 20% of it's users on DOCSIS 3, a far easier platform to control congestion with a year or more ago.

But that would require actually spending money, and unless it's for a failing sports franchise, it doesn't seem to happen too often with our kind Benefactors, Massers Dolan and crew.
cseeman
Brooklyn, NY

1 recommendation

cseeman to StreetSpirit

to StreetSpirit
said by StreetSpirit:

I do not accept the common excuses, but do understand ROI, and again wish that BOOST or a similar tier be offered on the DOCSIS 3 platform. In this area, Comcast has taken a lead. A good percentage of their users are taking advantage of the advanced bandwidth provisioning and capacity planning that DOCSIS 3 allows for.
. . .
I sure hope Cablevision is moving towards a DOCSIS 3 plant so that three or four people uploading doesn't severely affect the rest of the node's population on that frequency.

Happy Holidays!
I'm on Boost. They moved me to DOCSIS 3. It cleared the speed problems. The techs told me they're still in transition but they're heading there. Given my complaints they were willing to move me. It may depend on your area.

BTW one has to consider the cost of fielding the low speed complaints and the tech support visits. Even if they didn't lose a single customer, the tech support costs may be considerable financial impact they'd avoid by improving reliability of speed.
cseeman

1 edit

1 recommendation

cseeman to JRW2

to JRW2
Low speeds before the change to Docsis 3

Speed immediately after they installed the Docsis 3 modem

and speed still maintaining several days later

StreetSpirit
This spot reserved for Xenu.
Premium Member
join:2002-08-13
Roslyn, NY

StreetSpirit to cseeman

Premium Member

to cseeman
CS, Good news! I hope this comes to pass sooner than later.

As I said, I'd gladly buy my own modem; that's a justifiable expense. With DOCSIS 3, they can have far more flexibility with their speed tiers.

I truly hope you're right; and I admit it does make sense.

Between us, I've observed even the more contentious Comcast folks at work are far happier and mellow people when their liquid heroin flows down a DOCSIS 3 pipe.

Happy Holidays everyone!