Search similar:

uniqs

ReformCRTC
Support Your Independent ISP
join:2004-03-07
Canada

ReformCRTC to 18172841

to 18172841

Re: Do You Warm-Up Your Car In Cold Weather? Don't Do It!

At 50 below, oil gelling is one of a litany of problems vehicles will face. Fuel lines can even freeze. Watch Ice Road Truckers for a bit of insight into what measures to take.

RR Conductor
Ridin' the rails
Premium Member
join:2002-04-02
Redwood Valley, CA

1 edit

RR Conductor

Premium Member

The Alaska Railroad and some Canadian Lines also face those kinds of temps, it's quite a job keeping the freight and passengers moving in those conditions!

Xstar_Lumini
join:2008-12-14
CANADA

Xstar_Lumini to duc_grrl

to duc_grrl
said by duc_grrl:

Ok this is purely a question. I am a long-haul truck driver, my truck uses Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 oil. Last winter in -50C temperatures in Brooks AB my engine blow-by tube froze over and my engine spewed about 20L of oil out the dipstick.
Hi! I worked in Fort McMurray, Alberta one winter and the temperature dipped to -54 below zero, the windchill was about -67, anyways I witnessed with my own eyes as diesel-powered generators and idling pick-up trucks literally just turn themselvesoff from the cold never to start again if left 10 mins without cranking them back to life.

Anyways, cars definitely need warming up when starting in cold weather, at least to liquify your oils, don't believe what others tell you in this thread.

Its a Secret
Please speak into the microphone
Premium Member
join:2008-02-23
Da wet coast

Its a Secret

Premium Member

Ahh, man! I can relate. Having spent considerable time in the frozen wastelands, there were a few things you never went without. Those were:

• two block heaters in an engine
• Interior car warmers (the heaters inside your car to keep the glass clear and seats, dash from cracking! No shit)
• Gas line anti-freeze (dry gas, aka methyl alcohol) Water in the line was potentially deadly
• Blankets, candles, candy bars etc. if you broke down on the road

You never, ever! went by a vehicle stopped in those temps without stopping to see if anyone was in it. To do so may be signing someones death certificate.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
·Metronet

1 edit

1 recommendation

CylonRed to Xstar_Lumini

MVM

to Xstar_Lumini
Realize that the majority of us do not live north of the border. Different rules for different places but in general - the info in this thread is good for a majority of the US. Different story if it is extreme cold.

By extreme - I mean minus 15 F.
quote:
I have personally seen cars stall when you turn on the key and try to drive away immediately in 10 F degree weather.
I have not seen this at all for the last 20 years when temps where below zero (and that happens in Ohio). Only time I have ever seen it was with a badly taken care of car, a car with the improper oil (but the engine likely would not turn over at all), and older carburetorated engine.

Cho Baka
MVM
join:2000-11-23
there

Cho Baka

MVM

I'll hazard a guess that 95% of Canadians will never see temps that cold in their entire life.

It is pretty out there as far as examples go.

(Ironically I did drive there in winter once.)

XT0RT
S3x, Drugs, War
join:2001-07-28
Edmonton, AB

1 edit

XT0RT

Watch the Weather Channel and you'll be surprised. In the month of December, most of Canada was locked in a -28 to -30C (-18/-20F) cold snap. We easily get arctic windchills during the months of November, December, and March.

CylonRed
MVM
Bloom County

CylonRed

MVM

Which is the same frigid air (slightly warmer usually ) we get in Ohio.

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium Member
join:2005-01-22
Galaxy M31

jabarnut to XT0RT

Premium Member

to XT0RT
Yeah, I must admit that comment surprised me a little bit as well.
I've seen -20 more than once here in New Hampshire.

I can only assume it's gets even colder sometimes in Canada.

TOPDAWG
Premium Member
join:2005-04-27
Calgary, AB

TOPDAWG

Premium Member

Well where I live in Canada it's always damn snowing get a bit of lite snow near every night so it always turns into ice on your windshield and the damn snow blows onto my car from the roof so that gets on my car and gets ice all over it. So I warm up my car for like a few mins to get that shit off.

aurgathor
join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor to XT0RT

to XT0RT
said by XT0RT:

Watch the Weather Channel and you'll be surprised. In the month of December, most of Canada was locked in a -28 to -30C (-18/-20F) cold snap. We easily get arctic windchills during the months of November, December, and March.
So I guess you get the warm spells in January and February.

XT0RT
S3x, Drugs, War
join:2001-07-28
Edmonton, AB

XT0RT

We're actually kinda spoiled at the moment now you mention it. We are about 8C over normal temps.
peterboro (banned)
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned) to Cho Baka

to Cho Baka
said by Cho Baka:

I'll hazard a guess that 95% of Canadians will never see temps that cold in their entire life.
Oh I see you drove here once. Well then far be it for anyone to question your qualifications to comment on our climate.
I lived near the border. Your type would show up in the summer with ski racks on their car ready to go.
I'm driving down to Key West next week. Better put on the shorts and t-shirt for when I hit the Ambassador Bridge

Cho Baka
MVM
there

Cho Baka

MVM

said by peterboro:
said by Cho Baka:

Oh I see you drove here once. Well then far be it for anyone to question your qualifications to comment on our climate.
I lived near the border. Your type would show up in the summer with ski racks on their car ready to go.
I'm driving down to Key West next week. Better put on the shorts and t-shirt for when I hit the Ambassador Bridge
Nice job! I am a Canadian, and my mom is from Timmins.
Why the insults anyways?
Are you attacking me, or do you not like the content of my post?
Do you need to insult Americans to make your point? Why shouldn't a knowledgeable American be able to post information about Canada?

No_Strings

join:2001-11-22
The OC

No_Strings

Hypothetical. There are no knowledgeable Americans.

The Border Patrol has peterboro on the Do Not Drive list, so we're safe in any case.

Now, weren't we talking about cars?

digitalfutur
Sees More Than Shown
Premium Member
join:2000-07-15
GTA

1 recommendation

digitalfutur to Xstar_Lumini

Premium Member

to Xstar_Lumini
I challenge anyone who doesn't think cars should be warmed up for more than 30 seconds:

- get into a vehicle with 2 or more people
- vehicle with a cold engine (not previously run that day)
- in temperatures under 25F
- warm the car up for 30 seconds or less
- then drive off

See how far you get before the windows are so fogged up that you can't see.

CylonRed
MVM
Bloom County
·Metronet

CylonRed

MVM

I do that - turn the fan on, defrost (on high) and recirc. 95% ofv the time - no issues as long as air is moving across the windows. Not generally more than 2 people. Outside will refrost faster than the inside.

I would best most folks in this thread only have a max of 2 in the car right away as well... It is what we do - variations for others and as we were talking about how 'hard' on the car it is...

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD to CylonRed

Premium Member

to CylonRed
said by CylonRed:

Point being of the thread- to GET the car to normal operating temps - drive it right away - otherwise the car is running less than optimally for a far longer time.
The definition of "warming up" is idling an engine until it nears normal operating temperatures. You should change the name of the thread!!

Xstar_Lumini
CANADA

Xstar_Lumini to No_Strings

to No_Strings
said by No_Strings:

Hypothetical. There are no knowledgeable Americans.

The Border Patrol has peterboro on the Do Not Drive list, so we're safe in any case.

Why is Peterboro in the U.S. Border Patrol "Do Not Drive There" list? I live about 100 miles from that town which is semi-rural and about 99% white, it's serene, healthy and VERY friendly. Or are you being sarcastic?

No_Strings

join:2001-11-22
The OC

No_Strings

I'm always being sarcastic and I was referring to the member, peterboro See Profile, not the community of Peterboro.
peterboro (banned)
Peterborough, ON

1 recommendation

peterboro (banned) to Xstar_Lumini

to Xstar_Lumini
said by Xstar_Lumini:

Why is Peterboro in the U.S. Border Patrol "Do Not Drive There" list? I live about 100 miles from that town which is semi-rural and about 99% white, it's serene, healthy and VERY friendly. Or are you being sarcastic?
I hope he is I've got my shorts and t-shirt laid out to go.
If I see Janet Napolitano in the booth at the border should I just turn around.
severach
join:2002-09-12
Jackson, MI

severach to digitalfutur

to digitalfutur
said by digitalfutur:

You forgot to crack open the window. Put the fan on high and blow all the humidity out. Ignore all low IQ passengers that complain.

And if you have snow blowing off the hood into the heater, turn the fan off.

Cho Baka
MVM
there

Cho Baka

MVM

Someone who clearly knows winter driving.

shaner
Premium Member
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB

shaner to severach

Premium Member

to severach
Yep, that works well, until it's so cold out your windows are frozen shut and the power window
motors won't budge.
peterboro (banned)
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned)

Or slush splashes up on a frozen window and you are into a tree or oncoming traffic.
Is 50 cents in gas or buying into climate change bunk worth more than your or another families life?
Thislilfishy
join:2008-10-28
Dundalk, ON

Thislilfishy

said by peterboro:

Or slush splashes up on a frozen window and you are into a tree or oncoming traffic.
Is 50 cents in gas or buying into climate change bunk worth more than your or another families life?
Either way we are all going to die....

Xstar_Lumini
CANADA

1 edit

Xstar_Lumini to severach

to severach
said by severach:

said by digitalfutur:

You forgot to crack open the window. Put the fan on high and blow all the humidity out. Ignore all low IQ passengers that complain.

-
Why the hell would I do that for? Why should I freeze my arse and fingers? All I have to do is pre-start my vehicle and leave it running for 3-4 minutes and I can drive off warm, fuzzy and without purple fingers.

ErRoR0
Premium Member
join:2002-10-26
Tullahoma, TN

ErRoR0 to Xstar_Lumini

Premium Member

to Xstar_Lumini
I say if you want to do so then start your car and warm it up. If your worried about waisting gas or engine damage from 5 to 10 mins of letting your engine idle, then you worry too much.

Just my .02 as I haven't contributed any to this thread, and probably still haven't

Eric

mau108
Mau
Premium Member
join:2001-10-07
Thornhill, ON

mau108 to Xstar_Lumini

Premium Member

to Xstar_Lumini
if your windows are fogging up, us the A/C if your vehicle has it, it will get rid of that moisture very quickly.

Also it's a good idea to run the A/c compressor a couple times during winter anyways.

ErRoR0
Premium Member
join:2002-10-26
Tullahoma, TN

1 edit

ErRoR0

Premium Member

said by mau108:

Also it's a good idea to run the A/c compressor a couple times during winter anyways.
The A/C compressor should kick on with the control set to defrost or bi-level I would imagine. Please correct me if I'm wrong, as that's quit often.

Eric
eidt: spelling