share rss forum feed

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to XT0RT

Re: Do You Warm-Up Your Car In Cold Weather? Don't Do It!

said by XT0RT:

Watch the Weather Channel and you'll be surprised. In the month of December, most of Canada was locked in a -28 to -30C (-18/-20F) cold snap. We easily get arctic windchills during the months of November, December, and March.
So I guess you get the warm spells in January and February.
--
And the winner is:

XT0RT
S3x, Drugs, War

join:2001-07-28
Edmonton, AB

We're actually kinda spoiled at the moment now you mention it. We are about 8C over normal temps.
--
Asus P5Q-E / Q9450 @ 3.6 / 4GB OCZ Reaper HPC 8500 / XFX 9800 GX2 / Windows 7 Ultimate x64

peterboro
Premium
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON
reply to Cho Baka

said by Cho Baka:

I'll hazard a guess that 95% of Canadians will never see temps that cold in their entire life.
It is pretty out there as far as examples go.
(Ironically I did drive there in winter once.)
Oh I see you drove here once. Well then far be it for anyone to question your qualifications to comment on our climate.
I lived near the border. Your type would show up in the summer with ski racks on their car ready to go.
I'm driving down to Key West next week. Better put on the shorts and t-shirt for when I hit the Ambassador Bridge

Cho Baka
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-23
there
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

said by peterboro:

said by Cho Baka:

I'll hazard a guess that 95% of Canadians will never see temps that cold in their entire life.
It is pretty out there as far as examples go.
(Ironically I did drive there in winter once.)
Oh I see you drove here once. Well then far be it for anyone to question your qualifications to comment on our climate.
I lived near the border. Your type would show up in the summer with ski racks on their car ready to go.
I'm driving down to Key West next week. Better put on the shorts and t-shirt for when I hit the Ambassador Bridge
Nice job! I am a Canadian, and my mom is from Timmins.
Why the insults anyways?
Are you attacking me, or do you not like the content of my post?
Do you need to insult Americans to make your point? Why shouldn't a knowledgeable American be able to post information about Canada?
--
Striving for Parfection.

No_Strings
Premium,MVM,Ex-Mod 2008-13
join:2001-11-22
The OC
kudos:6

Hypothetical. There are no knowledgeable Americans.

The Border Patrol has peterboro on the Do Not Drive list, so we're safe in any case.

Now, weren't we talking about cars?

digitalfutur
Sees More Than Shown
Premium
join:2000-07-15
BurlingtonON

1 recommendation

reply to Xstar_Lumini

I challenge anyone who doesn't think cars should be warmed up for more than 30 seconds:

- get into a vehicle with 2 or more people
- vehicle with a cold engine (not previously run that day)
- in temperatures under 25F
- warm the car up for 30 seconds or less
- then drive off

See how far you get before the windows are so fogged up that you can't see.
--
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing - Edmund Burke. "Walk the Talk".

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

I do that - turn the fan on, defrost (on high) and recirc. 95% ofv the time - no issues as long as air is moving across the windows. Not generally more than 2 people. Outside will refrost faster than the inside.

I would best most folks in this thread only have a max of 2 in the car right away as well... It is what we do - variations for others and as we were talking about how 'hard' on the car it is...
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
reply to CylonRed

said by CylonRed:

Point being of the thread- to GET the car to normal operating temps - drive it right away - otherwise the car is running less than optimally for a far longer time.
The definition of "warming up" is idling an engine until it nears normal operating temperatures. You should change the name of the thread!!
--
standard disclaimers apply.

Xstar_Lumini

join:2008-12-14
Canada
reply to No_Strings

said by No_Strings:

Hypothetical. There are no knowledgeable Americans.

The Border Patrol has peterboro on the Do Not Drive list, so we're safe in any case.

Why is Peterboro in the U.S. Border Patrol "Do Not Drive There" list? I live about 100 miles from that town which is semi-rural and about 99% white, it's serene, healthy and VERY friendly. Or are you being sarcastic?

No_Strings
Premium,MVM,Ex-Mod 2008-13
join:2001-11-22
The OC
kudos:6

I'm always being sarcastic and I was referring to the member, peterboro See Profile, not the community of Peterboro.

peterboro
Premium
Peterborough, ON

1 recommendation

reply to Xstar_Lumini

said by Xstar_Lumini:

Why is Peterboro in the U.S. Border Patrol "Do Not Drive There" list? I live about 100 miles from that town which is semi-rural and about 99% white, it's serene, healthy and VERY friendly. Or are you being sarcastic?
I hope he is I've got my shorts and t-shirt laid out to go.
If I see Janet Napolitano in the booth at the border should I just turn around.

severach

join:2002-09-12
Jackson, MI
reply to digitalfutur

said by digitalfutur:

You forgot to crack open the window. Put the fan on high and blow all the humidity out. Ignore all low IQ passengers that complain.

And if you have snow blowing off the hood into the heater, turn the fan off.

Cho Baka
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-23
there

Someone who clearly knows winter driving.
--
Striving for Parfection.

shaner
Premium
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB
reply to severach

Yep, that works well, until it's so cold out your windows are frozen shut and the power window
motors won't budge.

peterboro
Premium
Peterborough, ON

Or slush splashes up on a frozen window and you are into a tree or oncoming traffic.
Is 50 cents in gas or buying into climate change bunk worth more than your or another families life?

Thislilfishy

join:2008-10-28
Orangeville, ON

said by peterboro:

Or slush splashes up on a frozen window and you are into a tree or oncoming traffic.
Is 50 cents in gas or buying into climate change bunk worth more than your or another families life?
Either way we are all going to die....

Xstar_Lumini

join:2008-12-14
Canada

1 edit
reply to severach

said by severach:

said by digitalfutur:

You forgot to crack open the window. Put the fan on high and blow all the humidity out. Ignore all low IQ passengers that complain.

-
Why the hell would I do that for? Why should I freeze my arse and fingers? All I have to do is pre-start my vehicle and leave it running for 3-4 minutes and I can drive off warm, fuzzy and without purple fingers.

ErRoR
Premium
join:2002-10-26
Tullahoma, TN
reply to Xstar_Lumini

I say if you want to do so then start your car and warm it up. If your worried about waisting gas or engine damage from 5 to 10 mins of letting your engine idle, then you worry too much.

Just my .02 as I haven't contributed any to this thread, and probably still haven't

Eric

mau108
Mau
Premium
join:2001-10-07
Thornhill, ON
reply to Xstar_Lumini

if your windows are fogging up, us the A/C if your vehicle has it, it will get rid of that moisture very quickly.

Also it's a good idea to run the A/c compressor a couple times during winter anyways.

ErRoR
Premium
Tullahoma, TN

1 edit

said by mau108:

Also it's a good idea to run the A/c compressor a couple times during winter anyways.
The A/C compressor should kick on with the control set to defrost or bi-level I would imagine. Please correct me if I'm wrong, as that's quit often.

Eric
eidt: spelling

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

Depends on the car and year of the car. None of my cars turn on the AC automatically when the defrost is on.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium,MVM
join:2005-01-22
Galaxy M31

2 recommendations

reply to Xstar_Lumini

Good lord...I've been trying to stop following this thread, but no matter what I do, it keeps showing up when I check for new posts.

Warm up your car, don't warm up your car....I don't care anymore.
--
I had a life once.....now I have a Computer and a Modem.

ErRoR
Premium
Tullahoma, TN

1 recommendation

reply to Xstar_Lumini

LMAO I'm with you there.

mau108
Mau
Premium
join:2001-10-07
Thornhill, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to ErRoR

said by ErRoR:

said by mau108:

The A/C compressor should kick on with the control set to defrost or bi-level I would imagine. Please correct me if I'm wrong, as that's quit often.

Eric
eidt: spelling
most new cars yes, old ones (pre late 90's) did not do this.

severach

join:2002-09-12
Jackson, MI
reply to Xstar_Lumini

said by shaner:

Yep, that works well, until it's so cold out your windows are frozen shut and the power window motors won't budge.
Your fault! The windows won't freeze shut unless they were recently wet and there is a way to get rid of the water.

said by peterboro:

Your fault. Pick a better route that doesn't have slush spray. If you're worried about worried about rare events like that then you shouldn't be driving at all.

said by Xstar_Lumini:

Why the hell would I do that for? Why should I freeze my arse and fingers?
Opening the window does not freeze you out. That's what the low IQ people think when they hear the noise. You open it just enough so that the heater air can escape without allowing air in. Even if a tiny bit of new air blows in you still aren't being frozen because that air is the same temperature as the air inside the cold car. The next complaint the low IQ people come up with is when the heater starts putting out some warm air they want the window closed. Remember those snowflakes that were blowing in? With a little heat at your expense have changed to steam which will lay a thick fog that will take several minutes at full temperature to remove while you wait in a parking lot. The warm air must be purged through a cracked window until all this humid air is blown out. Done right the cabin heats up just as fast and the windows stay clear.

Warm the car all you want but you can drive without warming in cold weather if you know how. I do warm the car when conditions require it. I don't warm the car for comfort and I don't warm it just because. I'd rather be cold for a few minutes than waste time warming the car up when I could be on the way.

said by mau108:

if your windows are fogging up, us the A/C if your vehicle has it, it will get rid of that moisture very quickly.
Depends on what you call cold. The AC speeds defrosting in non freezing weather. That's why AC equipped vehicles always turn on the AC in defrost. The AC should disable itself when the temperature is below freezing.

said by ErRoR:

The A/C compressor should kick on with the control set to defrost or bi-level I would imagine.
Bi-Level is dash vent and floor. The AC is forced on and cannot be turned off in Max AC and defrost. Some models have a button that allows the driver to choose AC or not in other modes including the mixed defrost and floor.

peterboro
Premium
Peterborough, ON

1 edit

said by severach:

said by peterboro:

Your fault. Pick a better route that doesn't have slush spray. If you're worried about worried about rare events like that then you shouldn't be driving at all.
You're right I should check the daily slush updates before I head out for the day.
Slush in the winter being such a rare occurrence here in Canada it just slips my mind most days.
Come to think of it maybe I will just stop driving.....hmmmm, na I'll just warm my car up first.

Jim Gurd
Premium
join:2000-07-08
Livonia, MI
reply to ErRoR

said by ErRoR:

In most cars it won't come on if the outside temperature is below 40F.
--
The Mogambo Guru economic newsletter, an avocational exercise to heap disrespect on those who desperately deserve it.

silentlooker
Premium
join:2009-11-01

1 recommendation

reply to Xstar_Lumini

My rule is no driving till rpm is at 1k.

itguy05

join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA
reply to mau108

quote:
most new cars yes, old ones (pre late 90's) did not do this.
Most older cars from the 80's would as well. They have been running the AC with the defrost for a LONG time. There have also always been air temp switches that will cut it out when it gets too cold.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to Xstar_Lumini

warming up the car is mostly for passenger comfort. cold startup i usually just wait around a minute and then go.

these remote starters are not for engine care they are so the car is warm when you get in.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports