Jahntassa
What, I can have feathers
Premium
join:2006-04-14
Conway, SC
kudos:4

1 recommendation

reply to Jeffrey

Re: Do You Warm-Up Your Car In Cold Weather? Don't Do It!

said by Jeffrey:

An old friend of mine used to remotely start his 2002 Ford Explorer from his bedroom 30 mins before he left for work in the winter.
When it's below freezing out, and I had more than a 5-10 minute drive ahead of me, i'd remote start my car and leave the heat on for a good 5-10 minutes (until it was blowing heat AT ALL), and then drive off.

This was for personal convenience.

When I used to do it a lot, I never noticed a difference in fuel usage than when I wasn't.

Jeffrey
Connoisseur of leisurely things
Premium
join:2002-12-24
Long Island
kudos:3
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·Verizon FiOS
·Vonage
said by Jahntassa:

said by Jeffrey:

An old friend of mine used to remotely start his 2002 Ford Explorer from his bedroom 30 mins before he left for work in the winter.
When it's below freezing out, and I had more than a 5-10 minute drive ahead of me, i'd remote start my car and leave the heat on for a good 5-10 minutes (until it was blowing heat AT ALL), and then drive off.

This was for personal convenience.

When I used to do it a lot, I never noticed a difference in fuel usage than when I wasn't.
That's cool. Five or ten minutes is in the "reasonable" level for me in the coldest of weather, although if I've done it it's only because I forgot I turned the car on.

I wasn't so much as concerned with fuel economy so much I thought letting the car idle for too long (like 30 mins) wasn't good for the engine or the components- for it's lifespan of the vehicle. I sometimes read the specs for Police vehicles and they all seem to have some provision to save the car from extended periods of idling. I'm assuming that's from some real-world measure that idling is bad for the engine.
--
"Soulshine. Better than sunshine. Better than moonshine. Damn sure better than rain."

I'm waiting, rather patiently I believe, for springtime.
Expand your moderator at work