Teksavvy Extreme
Premium Member
join:2008-01-24
Toronto, ON

1 edit

pnjunction to XT0RT

Premium Member

to XT0RT

Re: Do You Warm-Up Your Car In Cold Weather? Don't Do It!

said by XT0RT:

Here in Edmonton, it was -30/-35C with -40/-50C windchills. My car is 7 years old with 170000 KM's on it. There is no way in hell I am moving that car before the engine and all the electronics are warmed up.
LOL electronics work better when they're cold. Your engine doesn't really need to warm up either regardless of whether you think it does. But hey your reasoning isn't based on facts anyway so why listen to anybody?

I wait a bit for the revs to go down a little mostly for the sake of the transmission when I shift into drive.

7 years and 170k, that's spritely! I've never had a car so new and North Bay is just about as cold as Edmonton.

XT0RT
S3x, Drugs, War
join:2001-07-28
Edmonton, AB

2 edits

XT0RT

said by pnjunction:
said by XT0RT:

Here in Edmonton, it was -30/-35C with -40/-50C windchills. My car is 7 years old with 170000 KM's on it. There is no way in hell I am moving that car before the engine and all the electronics are warmed up.
LOL electronics work better when they're cold. Your engine doesn't really need to warm up either regardless of whether you think it does. But hey your reasoning isn't based on facts anyway so why listen to anybody?

I wait a bit for the revs to go down a little mostly for the sake of the transmission when I shift into drive.

7 years and 170k, that's spritely! I've never had a car so new and North Bay is just about as cold as Edmonton.
Sigh, have fun with your transmission replacements after the crap you put them through. I'm sure your torque converter likes being forced to work at such temperatures without a decent warmup. Ontarions and cars... not always a good mix. Try driving a car with a hydraulic clutch and see what happens, seeing that I own a car with a manual transmission.
quote:
LOL electronics work better when they're cold.
You're so full of shit, that just proves it.

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

1 edit

pnjunction

Premium Member

said by XT0RT:

Ontarions and cars... not always a good mix.
quote:
LOL electronics work better when they're cold.
You're so full of shit, that just proves it.
OK explain to me why electronics don't like cold, and if so why it's better to heat them up (heat up electronics..snicker) idling rather than driving.

Think about why your computer has cooling fans, and why overclockers and supercomputers use liquid cooling, sometimes to cool to sub-zero temperatures.

If you want the reason they work better cold (although 'better' just means with more margin if it works at high T anyways which it should), carrier mobility in semiconductors decreases with temperature (link) and thermal noise increases with temperature (link). MOSFET threshold voltage increases with lower temperature but this shouldn't be a problem in properly designed circuits.

Edmontonians and talking out their asses...apparently a good mix.

XT0RT
S3x, Drugs, War
join:2001-07-28
Edmonton, AB

2 edits

XT0RT

quote:
Think about why your computer has cooling fans, and why overclockers and supercomputers use liquid cooling, sometimes to cool to sub-zero temperatures.
1. That's merely airflow, which has nothing to do with the way a car works. Your car sits stationary while you warm it up, so there is really no airflow under the hood of the car minus the radiator fan that kicks in once the thermostat has reached a certain temperature.

2. Overclocking and liquid cooling. Yeah, they did 5 or 6 years ago when Prescotts and Athlon's were running 50C at stock temperatures. Get with the times. Aircooling with a high end cooler is more practical and common place in overclocking seeing the Core 2 doesn't get that hot. Watercooling, Prometia, etc. is for showoffs. They are only cooling the processor which can handle being that low. A motherboard cannot, such as the one inside your vehicles OBD-I/II unit.

You've strayed so far off topic, that your arguments don't even make any sense. Good riddance to you. Think twice before using Wikipedia as an argument for something you can't comprehend.
Expand your moderator at work

THUD300
Part Of A Complete Breakfast
Premium Member
join:2002-06-07
Decatur, IL

THUD300 to pnjunction

Premium Member

to pnjunction

said by pnjunction:

If you want the reason they work better cold (although 'better' just means with more margin if it works at high T anyways which it should), carrier mobility in semiconductors decreases with temperature (link) and thermal noise increases with temperature (link). MOSFET threshold voltage increases with lower temperature but this shouldn't be a problem in properly designed circuits.

OK, that makes my head hurt....
Expand your moderator at work

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

1 edit

pnjunction to XT0RT

Premium Member

to XT0RT

said by XT0RT:

Think twice before using Wikipedia as an argument for something you can't comprehend.
Hahah..nice addition to your post.

Those articles are for you to get caught up. I have knowledge with semiconductor physics, device electronics and circuit noise because I work with them on a daily basis. I design mixed-signal electronics for a living.

Still waiting for your explanation of warming up electronics and why these circuits need to do this while the engine is idling (and the electronics are still monitoring sensors and managing fuel injection, ignition timing, valve timing, etc... pretty much the same way they would be while driving).

Elohim
@twtelecom.net

Elohim to pnjunction

Anon

to pnjunction
LOL electronics work better when they're cold. Your engine doesn't really need to warm up either regardless of whether you think it does.
You are joking right? When in history have you seen a camcorder or calculator work better in the cold than in room temp? The bloody thing runs slow and the battery lasts only about 30% of it's usual life.
Please stop giving people stupid and dangerous advice of not warming their cars in cold weather.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

1 edit

CylonRed

MVM

It is not dangerous to not warm a Car before driving it... PERIOD.

EDITED.
18172841 (banned)
join:2001-10-06
Lagrangeville, NY

18172841 (banned) to Elohim

to Elohim
said by Elohim :

LOL electronics work better when they're cold. Your engine doesn't really need to warm up either regardless of whether you think it does.
You are joking right? When in history have you seen a camcorder or calculator work better in the cold than in room temp? The bloody thing runs slow and the battery lasts only about 30% of it's usual life.
Please stop giving people stupid and dangerous advice of not warming their cars in cold weather.
The colder you make something electronic the better it runs, to a point, and we don't reach that point anywhere. Heat = resistance.

A battery undergoes chemical processes to make electric, yes super cold is not good for them.

Their is no electronic in a car that has to warm up. You are posting miss information. My car is not a camcorder.

RR Conductor
Ridin' the rails
Premium Member
join:2002-04-02
Redwood Valley, CA
ARRIS SB6183
Netgear R7000

RR Conductor to CylonRed

Premium Member

to CylonRed
said by CylonRed:

It is not dangerous to not warm a var before driving it... PERIOD.
No, I always try to warm up my var J/K

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD to 18172841

Premium Member

to 18172841
said by 18172841:
said by Elohim :
The colder you make something electronic the better it runs, to a point, and we don't reach that point anywhere. Heat = resistance.

A battery undergoes chemical processes to make electric, yes super cold is not good for them.

Their is no electronic in a car that has to warm up. You are posting miss information. My car is not a camcorder.
Camcorder has mechanical parts, extreme cold is probably not good for them.