how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

granny60

join:2002-08-01
Oriental, NC

Checking a Micro SD card for virus

I purchased a SanDisk 2 gig micro sd card for an ipod type device. Ordered it from e-bay and it came from Hong Kong. How do I check this to be sure it does not have a virus on it. The only way I know is to put the card in the device, but I'm not sure this is the way to run a virus check or if it's even possible to check it this way..
--
Sprint DSL

Smokey Bear
veritas odium parit
Premium
join:2008-03-15
Annie's Pub
kudos:4
Was the card delivered in the original sealed package?

granny60

Oriental, NC
No, it came in a small zip lock bag and it was inside one of those sleeves that lets you use it in a standard SD card slot on a printer or computer. I only have slots on my printer.
--
Sprint DSL

Smokey Bear
veritas odium parit
Premium
Annie's Pub
reply to granny60
No SD slots on your PC?

Cudni
La Merma - Vigilado
Premium,MVM
join:2003-12-20
Someshire
kudos:13
reply to granny60
said by granny60:

The only way I know is to put the card in the device, but I'm not sure this is the way to run a virus check or if it's even possible to check it this way..
Can you place the card in a computer? Then your AV should scan it the moment you insert it. What AV do you use?

Cudni
--
"what we know we know the same, what we don't know, we don't know it differently."
Help yourself so God can help you.
Microsoft MVP, 2006 - 2009

CJ

join:2000-07-18
USA

1 edit
reply to Smokey Bear
said by Smokey Bear:

Would that have really mattered?

I ask because I thought an HD company had drives that were made in China ship with viruses on them and they were sealed.

I could be completely wrong on this but faintly remember something about it.

granny60

Oriental, NC
reply to Cudni
I do not have a slot on my computer. I use Microsoft Security for virus protection.
--
Sprint DSL

nonymous
Premium
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ
reply to granny60
No auto run. Scan with AV, full format.

Use a limited account.

nonymous
Premium
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ
reply to granny60
Plus only a 2 gig card and only one. How much did you save on ebay? Last I checked even sealed name brand cards if you got a sale at a name store where cheap. I did say sale, but they are always on sale somewhere.

Smokey Bear
veritas odium parit
Premium
Annie's Pub

1 edit
reply to CJ
said by CJ:

said by Smokey Bear:

Yes. Assume it is a Micro SD Card without software on it, a standard pre-formatted card. Never heard about any infection on these pre-formatted cards.
I ask because wasn't it one of the HD companies that had there drives built in China had the drives ship with a virus on them that was placed on them at the mfg. plant and sealed?

It affected Maxtor branded USB HD's sold by Seagate and manufactured in China. Investigations proved it was an accidental infection and not an maliciously planted virus by an employee.
--
Smokey's Security Forums »www.smokey-services.eu/forums/
Smokey's Security Weblog »smokeys.wordpress.com/
Smokeys Seasonal Competition runs from Dec 14th - Dec 21st/

granny60

Oriental, NC
reply to nonymous
My device will only use max of 2 gigs. It was a big savings. Staples had a package of one with the card holder for $29. It got this one for about $8 which included shipping and it came with the card holder. Also it came from a seller with very good reputation. My device can be plugged into my computer with it's own usb cord and Windows recognizes it as another drive.
--
Sprint DSL

EGeezer
zichrona livracha
Premium
join:2002-08-04
Midwest
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Callcentric
reply to granny60
1) If the micro came with adapters, put it in a SD adapter and load it in a camera that takes SD cards. Then format it in the camera.

2) Boot your PC from a Linux Live CD (with the reader and CF card attached) and see what if anything is on the card, Delete anything you see on the card or format the card.

That may not check for viruses, but you'll at least be starting with a clean card.
--
The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men of zeal, well-meaning but without understanding. -- Justice Louis D. Brandeis

MrFixit1

join:1999-11-26
Madison, WI

1 edit
reply to granny60
said by granny60:

I only have slots on my printer.
What printer ?
In a lot of cases , the printer card slots will show up as external drives on your computer . If that is true in your case , you should be able to plug the card in and scan it with your AV .

Edit to add
If your device shows up as a drive ,I don't think I would be too worried about about using it to access the card .
Just make sure that auto run is off .

granny60

Oriental, NC
I have an HP Photosmart C5580 All-in-one.

Thanks, I'll try using my printer to see if I can get my av to scan the card...
--
Sprint DSL

CJ

join:2000-07-18
USA
reply to Smokey Bear
said by Smokey Bear:

said by CJ:

said by Smokey Bear:

Yes. Assume it is a Micro SD Card without software on it, a standard pre-formatted card. Never heard about any infection on these pre-formatted cards.
I ask because wasn't it one of the HD companies that had there drives built in China had the drives ship with a virus on them that was placed on them at the mfg. plant and sealed?

It affected Maxtor branded USB HD's sold by Seagate and manufactured in China. Investigations proved it was an accidental infection and not an maliciously planted virus by an employee.
Not to get too off topic. How do you accidentally infect a brand new HD with a virus?