uniqs

KoRnGtL15
Premium Member
join:2007-01-04
Grants Pass, OR

KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

Norton 2010 anti virus vs Avira Premium anti virus

My license is coming up on 1 of my machines with Avira on it. It has been great with no issues. But I was curious on Norton 2010. I seen a trial for 90 days and I can get a good deal on a full license for a year. But how is it compared to Avira? Is it very simple and easy to use like Avira? I must admit. With Avira. I do not use the webguard and mailguard modules. That is just extra bloat not needed imo. Should I try Norton 2010? I heard Norton has come a long ways these past couple years for the better.

owlyn
MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA
Netgear CM2050V
Netgear RBRE960
Netgear RBSE960

1 recommendation

owlyn

MVM

You will undoubtedly get repies from people who say that Norton is slow and bloated. These are people who have not tried the 2009 or 2010 versions. 2009 is a new product, built from the ground up (2010 is a minor update). It's memory footprint is tiny and the program is very fast. It is so light and fast you will think it isn't working. It gets signature updates every few minutes, not that you will notice, though. Go for it. You will not regret it. If you do decide to uninstall, these new versions uninstall cleanly.
xxTRAGEDYxx
join:2008-03-14
Kannapolis, NC

xxTRAGEDYxx to KoRnGtL15

to KoRnGtL15
I've actually tried both and prefer Avira, but for no technical reasons. I find Avira easier to navigate and use, and the wife has an easier time managing it when she's online and I'm not around. I acutally tried three different AV's; Kaspersky, Norton, & Avira and I chose to stick with Avira. To each his/her own.
Titan865
join:2009-12-21

Titan865 to KoRnGtL15

to KoRnGtL15
do Choice - it's always hard.
You have some methods to compare:
- download technical specifications and compare specifications of both antiviruses;
- read reviews ( there are a lot of sites with reviews);

But you have to know , that effective protect is more important that good looking GUI , for antivirus software, of course.
In your case if you use Avira, i think you can try something else ( norton antivirus 2010) . Norton is a good antivirus, i think.
Only after that you can say what is the best Avira or Norton
Arup7
join:2007-12-09

Arup7 to KoRnGtL15

to KoRnGtL15
Norton has come a long way but I would still give Avira the ultimate edge.

jerry666
Premium Member
join:2002-12-12
Sainte-Anne-Des-Lacs, QC

1 edit

1 recommendation

jerry666 to owlyn

Premium Member

to owlyn
what about the "Ask" safe search thing in norton , anything to do with ask i stay away from .
»www.calendarofupdates.co ··· ic=16253

owlyn
MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA

owlyn

MVM

I have "Ask" disabled. I agree that it should be avoided.

jerry666
Premium Member
Sainte-Anne-Des-Lacs, QC

jerry666

Premium Member

said by owlyn:

I have "Ask" disabled. I agree that it should be avoided.

How can you trust a SECURITY app that even thinks of associating with Ask ?? That cut them right out of my books

louist
And So It Goes
Premium Member
join:2001-12-01
Oakland Gardens, NY

louist to KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

to KoRnGtL15
Norton 2010 is excellent and fully compatible with Win 7. I use it on 3 machines. However also using Windows Security Essentials on a couple of machines and it seems to be quite good also (and is free)

Grimm43
You Never Hear The One That Kills You
Premium Member
join:2000-11-02
Largo, FL

3 edits

Grimm43 to KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

to KoRnGtL15
There is no "Best", it is all subjective.

»AntiVirus Poll 2009

Always run as "Limited" user.

In the end relying on any A/V product being "best" at any given time during it's use/development/deployment is a bad idea.

The end user is always the weakest link..

KoRnGtL15
Premium Member
Grants Pass, OR

KoRnGtL15 to jerry666

Premium Member

to jerry666
Does the "Ask" tool bar install automatically or some thing with Norton? Or do you have a choice not to install it?

HA Nut
Premium Member
join:2004-05-13
USA

1 edit

HA Nut to KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

to KoRnGtL15
Avira Premium won't install on my Dell work desktop. Says something about a broken Winsock or whatever. If I don't install it with email scanning or the web guard, it works. Great! Not!

So even if I wanted Avira, it's not really a choice for me. (And FWIW, I am not alone with this issue. It's my understanding that Avira has never fixed this glitch and they even claim there is no issue. But there is... )

Which brings me to the point that if they won't/can't fix a serious issue like this, what kind of confidence in support can one have? If it were me, I'd look for something else, be it Norton (which is pretty decent anymore) or whatever...

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN

Dustyn to KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

to KoRnGtL15
Avira all the way.
Just keep in mind that Avira's "Rootkit Engine" will not work yet on XP64, VISTA64 or Windows 7 x64.

jerry666
Premium Member
Sainte-Anne-Des-Lacs, QC

jerry666 to KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

to KoRnGtL15
from what i understand , it was pushed on an update but can e disabled , but not uninstalled . read the link provided , on first page update

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude to owlyn

Premium Member

to owlyn
said by owlyn:

You will undoubtedly get repies from people who say that Norton is slow and bloated. These are people who have not tried the 2009 or 2010 versions. 2009 is a new product, built from the ground up (2010 is a minor update). It's memory footprint is tiny and the program is very fast. It is so light and fast you will think it isn't working. It gets signature updates every few minutes, not that you will notice, though. Go for it. You will not regret it. If you do decide to uninstall, these new versions uninstall cleanly.
N360 v3 and v4 as well (small and fast).

KoRnGtL15
Premium Member
Grants Pass, OR

KoRnGtL15 to jerry666

Premium Member

to jerry666
I read the thread and been reading up in general on the ask toolbar fiasco. I have decided to stay with Avira because of that.

DownTheShore
Pray for Ukraine
Premium Member
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ

DownTheShore

Premium Member

As with any software that offers any type of extra toolbar, it's easy to just make sure that the box offering it remains unchecked. Do not base an opinion on a product on whether or not they bundle other software offers with their own.

On every software installation, if a "custom" installation is offered, always go that route so that you can see what is actually being installed. The "typical" installation choices are always pre-entered anyway.

KoRnGtL15
Premium Member
Grants Pass, OR

KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

I hear ya. I always make sure and go the custom route. It is not like the old days any more when you can just click on ahead. With out having to worry about this stuff being added. But what I gathered from reading with this Norton issue. It is put in automatically with out being able to choose not to install it. You can turn it off though apparently.

jerry666
Premium Member
Sainte-Anne-Des-Lacs, QC

jerry666 to Dustyn

Premium Member

to Dustyn
said by Dustyn:

Avira all the way.
Just keep in mind that Avira's "Rootkit Engine" will not work yet on XP64, VISTA64 or Windows 7 x64.
[/BQUOTE
]not much of a big deal ewith 64 bit , art least that's what i hear

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN

Dustyn

Premium Member

True to a point.
I however was unaware that the 32-bit subsystem in a 64-bit OS would be unaffected?

Michael York
join:2007-11-06
San Francisco, CA

1 edit

Michael York to KoRnGtL15

to KoRnGtL15
Hi KoRnGtL15,

This is Mike from the Norton Authorized Support Team.

The Ask.com portion of the Norton Toolbar that was included in an update with the 2009 version of Norton Internet Security and Norton 360 version 3, is not a third-party add-on, but merely a collaboration with Ask.com for use with the Norton Safe Web feature which is included with Norton Internet Security 2010 and Norton 360 version 3.5.x. This is a security feature that ranks websites and alerts you to possible attacks, etc that may exist on some sites. You can disable this feature from the pull-down menu on the Norton Toolbar if you desire.

For more extensive information about this feature. please see the link below.

Information about Norton Safe Search

Thank you,
Mike

SparkChaser
Premium Member
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA

SparkChaser to KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

to KoRnGtL15
Another plus for NAV 2010 is that Staples has a $30 rebate on it right now so it's $10 for the SW.

Woody79_00
I run Linux am I still a PC?
Premium Member
join:2004-07-08
united state

1 recommendation

Woody79_00 to KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

to KoRnGtL15
Just a General Reply but,

why not just go with Microsoft Security Essentials

its free

As a matter of fact, combining Microsoft Security Essentials with Windows Internet Explorer 8 will offer better protection then even Norton Internet Security or Avira

Microsoft Security Essentials = Consumer version of Microsoft ForeFront Client Security Project Stirling.

Microsoft Internet Explorer 8 has the SmartScreen Filter. SmarterScreen Filter > then norton Toolbar

»www.microsoft.com/securi ··· een.aspx
SmartScreen Filter is a feature in Internet Explorer 8 that helps you avoid socially engineered malware phishing Web sites and online fraud when you browse the Web.

SmartScreen Filter:

* Checks Web sites against a dynamically updated list of reported phishing and sites.
* Checks software downloads against a dynamically updated list of reported malicious software sites.
* Helps prevent you from visiting phishing Web sites and other Web sites that contain malware that can lead to identity theft.

When you have the SmartScreen Filter turned on, if you attempt to visit a Web site that has been reported, the screen below appears and advises you not to continue to the unsafe Web site.
Sounds like The SmartScreen Filter does everything the other vendors do and then some.

Why pay when protection of equal or greater value is offered for free

Using IE8 + Smart Screen Filter(Or Firefox + Google Safe Browsing), Microsoft Security Essentials, Winpatrol, and a Limited User account is enough to keep you safe from 99% of the stuff out there.

Malwarebytes brings up the rear if you need it.

just keep patched as with anything else.

russilker
@comcast.net

russilker to KoRnGtL15

Anon

to KoRnGtL15
I don't understand how people can recommend software like Microsoft Security Essentials. Their engine performs horribly in live tests compared to major AVs like Norton, Kaspersky, Avira, etc.

Avira has the best detection rates ATM for a single AV engine. Of course, with that come more false-positives, but any PC user worth his stuff should be able to separate the false-positives from the real viruses.

Speaking from experience, Avira is almost always the first to detect a new rising threat/old threat made undetectable. May it be a generic detection; it finds it.

Cudni
La Merma - Vigilado
MVM
join:2003-12-20
Someshire

Cudni

MVM

said by russilker :

recommend software like Microsoft Security Essentials. Their engine performs horribly in live tests compared to major AVs like Norton, Kaspersky, Avira, etc.

so so horrible
»lifehacker.com/5433229/m ··· ntivirus

Cudni
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to HA Nut

Premium Member

to HA Nut
said by HA Nut:

Avira Premium won't install on my Dell work desktop. Says something about a broken Winsock or whatever. If I don't install it with email scanning or the web guard, it works. Great! Not!

So even if I wanted Avira, it's not really a choice for me. (And FWIW, I am not alone with this issue. It's my understanding that Avira has never fixed this glitch and they even claim there is no issue. But there is... )

Which brings me to the point that if they won't/can't fix a serious issue like this, what kind of confidence in support can one have? If it were me, I'd look for something else, be it Norton (which is pretty decent anymore) or whatever...
That's right! I can't install MailGuard, Webguard or the Avira Firewall on XP. I get that crap about a broken Winsock2 also and those modules refuse to install. I took it up in the Avira forum a few months ago. This was after I ran every known test to see if I really did have a broken Winsock. All tests showed a perfectly fine Winsock. Even so, my thread at Avira forums attracted rare posting from Avira engineers (not the usual tech support persons) insisting that I have a broken Winsock! Avira can be extremely stubborn and hard headed sometimes. You have to beat them over the head publicly, repeatedly sometimes to get them to admit they could be wrong. (The six month old IPv6 problem for the users of the free version is a perfect example of this. At least on this issue a few of us posters even more stubborn than Avira finally got them to admit the problem. Then they claimed three times, over a period of months, that the fix was online when it was not and again a couple of us forced them to admit this and to finally, it appears, actually fix it. But the fix is only because a few of us hammered, and hammered, and hammered them into being forced to fix it).

So, I too can only use the free version on XP and I had to revert to Avira 8 on XP because of the IPv6 problem. Avira has great detection along with a HIGH number of False Positives which means their detection is not really as great as it appears. I now favor Avast 5 but it is still somewhat buggy especially when downloading something on Fx (but it is still in beta).

russilker
@comcast.net

russilker to Cudni

Anon

to Cudni
I have no idea where they get their info.

Checking on AV-Comparatives.org, Microsoft AV on-demand scanning results were nowhere near the results of Avira or G-Data.
While their proactive scanning was decent, Avira scored better yet, at the sacrifice of more FPs.

Avira remains the best detection rate, single-engine AV.
G-Data has better detection rates with less False-positives, but it uses two engines.

KoRnGtL15
Premium Member
Grants Pass, OR

1 edit

KoRnGtL15 to Woody79_00

Premium Member

to Woody79_00
How effective MSE is. I do not know yet. Testing it out myself just recently. Coming from Avira. The scan speed is slow doing a system scan. Avira can knock it out in 15 mins on my machine. MSE takes 40 mins. Pretty big difference. I will say this though. I think MS is the only anti-virus program out that has an official 64 bit version.

zteardrop
join:2005-12-20
Brooklyn, NY

zteardrop to KoRnGtL15

to KoRnGtL15
NIS2010 has received the product of the year award by Av-Comparatives. Why would you even consider Avira.
38632383 (banned)
join:2009-09-25
Houston, TX

38632383 (banned) to Michael York

to Michael York
said by Michael York:

Hi KoRnGtL15,

This is Mike from the Norton Authorized Support Team.

The Ask.com portion of the Norton Toolbar ... is not a third-party add-on, but merely a collaboration with Ask.com for use with the Norton Safe Web feature...
So the collaboration beween SARC and ASK means that the add on is no longer 3rd party ?

I think I get it.