Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

1 recommendation

ptrowski to PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer704

Re: The Ooma Telo is now down to $150 ... what is going on?

said by PX Eliezer704:
said by ptrowski:

I would doubt that highly due to the fact that people don't want to automatically have to keep their computer on all the time for a main phone line.
Some don't understand that at the time of purchase.

Some keep their computers on anyway.

Some understand the issue but don't mind because they will use MJ mainly for outbound calls, especially "LD".

Some understand the issue but don't mind because they are OK if their inbound calls go to voicemail.

After all, so many people have given up their home "landline" althgether---no POTS, no cable phone, no Voip, just cellular.
There are quite a few "somes" there that can be applied to any VoIP provider or even POTS.
I have a hard time seeing MJ and Ooma in the same category.
dbwilson
Premium Member
join:2000-06-19
Fayetteville, GA

dbwilson to dcurrey

Premium Member

to dcurrey
said by dcurrey:

Costco still shows it for $199. Includes 6 months premier and $100 international credit.

»www.costco.com/Browse/Pr ··· nav=&s=1
That would seem to be the best deal anywhere right now, for Costco members.

dcurrey
Premium Member
join:2004-06-29
Mason, OH

1 edit

dcurrey

Premium Member

would have to double check but non members pay a 5% service charge.

Confirmed from FAQ
Why was I charged a Non-Member Surcharge at checkout?

Costco members need to enter their membership number during the registration process in the My Account section. Non-members will be charged a 5% surcharge over the member's posted product prices (except for prescription drugs and gift certificates). If you are not a member, we encourage you to join. For more membership information, click here.

If you are a member, please click on My Account to enter your membership number and update your account information prior to completing your purchase. The 5% surcharge will be removed if your account is updated prior to order completion.

If you are not yet a member, you will have the opportunity to add a membership to your shopping cart at the checkout page. The 5% surcharge will be removed if a membership is added prior to order completion.
dbwilson
Premium Member
Fayetteville, GA

dbwilson

Premium Member

I looked at it and there is a $10 surcharge for non-members plus sales tax where I live, which brings the bottom line to $224.69. Still a pretty good deal especially if you can use the international call credit and the extra 4 months of Premier.
macman4hire
join:2009-03-30
Port Saint Lucie, FL

macman4hire to ptrowski

to ptrowski
magicJack dramatically improved the quality and reliability of its service over the last year. The amount of problems being reported at the unofficial magicJack has declined to the point where it is almost nonexistent. The majority of the posts at the unofficial magicJack forum seem to be about accessing hidden features and using the SIP credentials for use on an ATA.

The key difference between magicJack and Ooma is the way Ooma marketed itself as free service for the life of the device. magicJack on the other hand can always increase its service fee to meet its financial obligations to run profitable business. Ooma at this point is tied into the free for life marketing strategy. Even if Ooma decides to change their business model to a pay for services company for any new customers it would send up a red flag that the company is now in desperate struggle for its survival.

A similar device to Ooma offered by netTalk has taken a much smarter marketing stance by offering its early adopters service for the life of their TK6000 device. According to the website the normal price for the device and 3 years of service will be $100.00. The renewal rate for an additional year is quoted at $20.00 a year. This gives this company the flexibility to rescind the free for life offer to its new customers and have the reasonable expectation of feature revenue from the renewal subscriptions of these customers.

I am not saying that any of the above mentioned companies will survive but it seems to me like Ooma has pigeonholed itself into an unenviable position. Only time will tell which of these companies will be around in the future.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

Port Saint Lucie, nice! I lived in Stuart for a while.

I look at Voip in three categories-the cable/fiber providers, the adapter providers, then the alternate so to speak such as Skype, MJ etc.

I think that the providers that have their own power, etc have a one up as they are independent of the computer being on.
macman4hire
join:2009-03-30
Port Saint Lucie, FL

macman4hire

I am originally from Salem CT just outside of New London CT. Are you enjoying the snow? I miss the snow but not commuting in it. Go Huskies go!

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

said by macman4hire:

I am originally from Salem CT just outside of New London CT. Are you enjoying the snow? I miss the snow but not commuting in it. Go Huskies go!
I grew up in MA, then lived in TX, KY, FL and then landed in CT. I do miss being able to go to Barebones in December wearing shorts.

The snow is nice as we will have a white Christmas. After that it' sa pain in the rear.
Expand your moderator at work
tenorsaw1
join:2003-07-10
Brooklyn, NY

1 edit

tenorsaw1 to pandora

to pandora

Amazon is notorious for selling items at a deep discount for a brief period of time. There's no need for panic.

I bought a Toro snow thrower from Amazon for $120 about two years ago. The sale price ended quickly that day. That same snow thrower is currently $299 on Amazon. Does that mean Toro is or ever was going out of business? I highly doubt it.

I love my Ooma service. As a matter of fact, I've referred many people and they in turn love it as well. If anyone is worried about their pricing, don't buy it. VOIP companies are a dime a dozen and this is what sets Ooma apart from the rest.
decades
join:2005-01-17
San Francisco, CA

decades to KrK

to KrK
said by KrK:

said by decades:

we love the innovation but hate the shady business plan.
Just because *YOU* don't know or understand the business plan doesn't mean that it is somehow shady or misguided.
oh I understand the bp just fine---hence my description!
decades

decades to dbwilson

to dbwilson
it makes sense that ooma is the #1 voip product by REVENUE, given it is prop hardware, and bundles in lifetime service. Of course it is the #1 seller. It's probably #1 out of the 10 or so "real" products Amazon sells in the VOIP category, and by far the most expensive.
dbwilson
Premium Member
Fayetteville, GA

dbwilson

Premium Member

said by decades:

it makes sense that ooma is the #1 voip product by REVENUE, given it is prop hardware, and bundles in lifetime service. Of course it is the #1 seller. It's probably #1 out of the 10 or so "real" products Amazon sells in the VOIP category, and by far the most expensive.
Amazon's algorithm for calculating sales rank is proprietary AFAIK. Can you cite a source for your claim that it is based on revenue?
mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
Lilburn, GA

1 recommendation

mazilo to tenorsaw1

Premium Member

to tenorsaw1
said by tenorsaw1:

If anyone is worried about their pricing, don't buy it.
I don't think you have understood our messages about Ooma. AFAIC, I could careless how much you and all Oomanizers have spent. What concerns us is how Ooma operates its ponzi scheme to attract innocent consumers. We know RBuchannan lurks around on this forum, yet he has no guts to come out here, once and for all, to assure us that Ooma doesn't run a ponzi scheme. He has gotten a lot of chances to do so, but he chose not to. Why? I believe he doesn't want to expose his ponzi scheme publicly to cause investors to run away. Without investors, Ooma is doomed!
tenorsaw1
Brooklyn, NY

tenorsaw1

said by mazilo:

said by tenorsaw1:

I don't think you have understood our messages about Ooma. AFAIC, I could careless how much you and all Oomanizers have spent. What concerns us is how Ooma operates its ponzi scheme to attract innocent consumers. We know RBuchannan lurks around on this forum, yet he has no guts to come out here, once and for all, to assure us that Ooma doesn't run a ponzi scheme. He has gotten a lot of chances to do so, but he chose not to. Why? I believe he doesn't want to expose his ponzi scheme publicly to cause investors to run away. Without investors, Ooma is doomed!
Again, if you're concerned with their pricing, don't buy it. I never asked you to care about how I spend my money.
mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium Member
Lilburn, GA

mazilo

Premium Member

said by tenorsaw1:
said by mazilo:
said by tenorsaw1:

I never asked you to care about how I spend my money.
In case you are blind and didn't see/read my previous post carefully, I have quoted it above and bold the statement that REALLY addressed your question. LOL

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
Netgear WNDR3700v2
Zoom 5341J

KrK to mazilo

Premium Member

to mazilo
Again, only Ooma detractors call it a "ponzi" scheme. Again you hear words like "Pyramid Scam" and "Shady Business model."

But, since nobody knows their business plan, except perhaps the investors (who seem convinced) this is all speculation based on--- nothing, that's right, NOTHING.

To the charges "Ooma could hurt the industry if they fail." Please. So many dot coms and come and gone and I don't see any sign of this damaging VOIP what so ever. Unlike the naysayers on here, I'm positive Ooma's position isn't to just spend money and die. So they have a plan they believe will be sustainable. Fine, if you don't like Ooma, don't buy it.... but all this talk of "They'll drag down the industry" or "It's a scam" is just a load of bollucks.
tenorsaw1
Brooklyn, NY

tenorsaw1 to mazilo

to mazilo
said by mazilo:

In case you are blind and didn't see/read my previous post carefully, I have quoted it above and bold the statement that REALLY addressed your question. LOL
You said you could care less and I'm saying it doesn't matter to me if you care or not. It's none of your business regardless.
nonymous (banned)
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ

2 edits

nonymous (banned)

said by tenorsaw1:

said by mazilo:

You said you could care less and I'm saying it doesn't matter to me if you care or not. It's none of your business regardless.
Think what may be implied is you got in at the bottom (edit maybe top) of a ponzi scam. In that case you will be fine. Just all the others that follow too late will get burned.
mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium Member
Lilburn, GA

mazilo to tenorsaw1

Premium Member

to tenorsaw1
said by tenorsaw1:
said by mazilo:
said by mazilo:
said by tenorsaw1:

Exactly. Wow ..., did you just realize that?! What took you so long to realize this? LOL If it is my business, I certainly would care, wouldn't I? That's why I said earlier, in case you are STILL blind and didn't see/read my previous post carefully, and I have, AGAIN, quoted it above in bold statement to REALLY show I seriously could careless how you spent your $$$. That said, the only thing I care is to inform readers here about any ponzi schemes, including but not limited to the ponzi scheme pulled by Ooma. And, that's all I care about. Again, please feel free to spend your $$$ as you wish.

prestonlewis
Premium Member
join:2003-04-13
Sacramento, CA

1 recommendation

prestonlewis to pandora

Premium Member

to pandora
Ooma has a lot of satisfied customers who are understandably not happy to see the words "ponzi scheme" and discussions of ooma's possible collapse and subsequent damage to the VOIP industry.

I for one never expected P8 or Vonage to last as long as they have with their horrible customer service.

Back in the early 2000s, P8 had a habit of borrowing money and then burning through cash at a frightening rate. Lots of people predicted the demise of P8 due to this yet P8 is still in business. The current ooma situation does remind me of P8 and perhaps Vonage 10ish years ago. Borrow, burn through cash, people predicting a fiery collapse and sorrow all around. Yet, it doesn't happen. Except for the SR debacle, there hasn't been any massive flaming wreck of a VOIP provider. I kinda doubt that ooma will be the first.

Remember, the ooma device is only expected to live for 5 years and the free calls are tied to the "life" of the device, not the life of the customer.

Either ooma will find a way to adapt and continue just as P8 and Vonage have or some other company will be interested in buying them thanks to their fairly good reputation with customers.

But for those predicting an ooma carnage, I'd gently remind you to think back to P8 10 years ago. It's financial situation is comparable to ooma in a number of ways.
BigMac777
join:2001-07-21
Green Valley, AZ

BigMac777 to pandora

to pandora

Re: The Ooma Telo is now down to $150

Amazon is back up to the $ 250 price mark. Short lived sale.
tenorsaw1
Brooklyn, NY

1 recommendation

tenorsaw1 to mazilo

to mazilo

said by mazilo:

Exactly. Wow ..., did you just realize that?! What took you so long to realize this? LOL If it is my business, I certainly would care, wouldn't I? That's why I said earlier, in case you are STILL blind and didn't see/read my previous post carefully, and I have, AGAIN, quoted it above in bold statement to REALLY show I seriously could careless how you spent your $$$. That said, the only thing I care is to inform readers here about any ponzi schemes, including but not limited to the ponzi scheme pulled by Ooma. And, that's all I care about. Again, please feel free to spend your $$$ as you wish.
Most readers here are already tech savvy, so you're not really informing anyone. You're only beating a dead horse.
mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium Member
Lilburn, GA

mazilo

Premium Member

said by tenorsaw1:
said by mazilo:

Most readers here are already tech savvy, ...
Information like this has nothing to do with being a tech savvy or not. LOL
... so you're not really informing anyone.
Nah, that's EXACTLY none of your business whether my messages get delivered (informed) or not. Unlike Ooma's touts here who unconscionably promoted Ooma have failed to mention such a ponzi scheme, my conscience is to deliver such a message to let, if not to educate, any readers so that they are aware of the issue.
tenorsaw1
Brooklyn, NY

1 edit

tenorsaw1

said by mazilo:

said by tenorsaw1:
said by mazilo:

Most readers here are already tech savvy, ...
Information like this has nothing to do with being a tech savvy or not. LOL
... so you're not really informing anyone.
Nah, that's EXACTLY none of your business whether my messages get delivered (informed) or not. Unlike Ooma's touts here who unconscionably promoted Ooma have failed to mention such a ponzi scheme, my conscience is to deliver such a message to let, if not to educate, any readers so that they are aware of the issue.
Again, you're in the wrong place if you're trying to "inform" any potential customers of Ooma. You're right, it isn't any of my business, but you brought it up.
mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium Member
Lilburn, GA

mazilo

Premium Member

said by tenorsaw1:

Again, you're in the wrong place if you're trying to "inform" any potential customers of Ooma.
Who are you to tell me that I am in the wrong place. It is none of your business if I were in the right or wrong place.
You're right, it isn't any of my business, but you brought it up.
Of course, I am right and I brought up the subject. Is it wrong to bring up the subject?
mazilo

1 recommendation

mazilo to pandora

Premium Member

to pandora
said by KrK:

But, since nobody knows their business plan, except perhaps the investors (who seem convinced) this is all speculation based on--- nothing, that's right, NOTHING.
I don't dispute with you that all these are speculations; however, the speculation about Ooma runs a ponzi scheme is based on a logical and/or common sense. Ooma sells its HUB device for $200+ with unlimited calls and no monthly fees for lifetime. Ooma will have to to pay for all those minutes accrued by its consumers. A common sense dictates (or if you prefer to use the word speculates) that Ooma will not have enough revenues to pay for those minutes in the long run.
tenorsaw1
Brooklyn, NY

tenorsaw1 to mazilo

to mazilo
said by mazilo:

said by tenorsaw1:

Again, you're in the wrong place if you're trying to "inform" any potential customers of Ooma.
Who are you to tell me that I am in the wrong place. It is none of your business if I were in the right or wrong place.
You're right, it isn't any of my business, but you brought it up.
Of course, I am right and I brought up the subject. Is it wrong to bring up the subject?
It's wrong to bring it up and then say it's not anyone's business.

Anyway, we'll continue tomorrow. Goodnight!