FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

said by Bill Neilson:

with this with little to no penalty
They didn't get away with it yet. The FCC hasn't made a ruling. And the class action lawyers are still probably figuring how many millions to sue for.

n2jtx
join:2001-01-13
Glen Head, NY

n2jtx

said by FFH5:

said by Bill Neilson:

with this with little to no penalty
They didn't get away with it yet. The FCC hasn't made a ruling. And the class action lawyers are still probably figuring how many millions to sue for.
Just wait. I am sure they will. In fact, if the government does sue them, and I would be very surprised at that, the only winner will be the government in the collection of fines. The customers would see a penny of it.

Bill Neilson
Premium Member
join:2009-07-08
Alexandria, VA

Bill Neilson to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5
Nothing will be done

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to n2jtx

MVM

to n2jtx
That's not the point. While I'm not a Verizon customer (nor do I live in the country that they service), the point is:

1) Prevent them from continuing to do it in the future
2) Punish them for having done it.

Getting back $1.99 or so doesn't mean much to the individual consumer, but losing millions of dollars does mean something to Verizon.

en102
Canadian, eh?
join:2001-01-26
Valencia, CA

en102 to Bill Neilson

to Bill Neilson
Increase in 'regulatory fees' by $1.99 (+ an extra piece to cover for the money spent on lawsuit and penalties)

dnoyeB
Ferrous Phallus
join:2000-10-09
Southfield, MI

dnoyeB to Guspaz

to Guspaz
...and to other companies thinking about/doing the same thing.

spewak
R.I.P Dadkins
Premium Member
join:2001-08-07
Elk Grove, CA

spewak to Bill Neilson

Premium Member

to Bill Neilson
said by Bill Neilson:

Nothing will be done
The Gentleman from California agrees!

NOVA_Guy
ObamaCare Kills Americans
Premium Member
join:2002-03-05

NOVA_Guy to Guspaz

Premium Member

to Guspaz
While fining Verizon and closely watching their practices may prevent them from doing this in the future, it will do little else.

They have already collected the fees from their customers, so they've already gotten use of millions of dollars for years. This use cannot be undone.

Any fines levied by the government and any settlements from class action lawsuits filed by attorneys will simply be used as justification to raise fees and prices even higher for Verizon's customers-- much like how the credit card companies are screwing customers these days by raising rates up to 30% or more and using the excuse of having to pay federal government bail out loans back. (Bail out loans which, IMHO, shouldn't have been given to them in the first place.)

In the end, the only people who will lose on this will be Verizon's customers-- the ones who were supposed to have been the beneficiaries of additional regulatory action from the government and lawsuits from the lawyers. Ironic, isn't it?
NOVA_Guy

NOVA_Guy to en102

Premium Member

to en102
I would actually hope this happens. If it does, all Verizon customers should take advantage of this material adverse increase in price to get out of their contract immediately.

Since I just started service on Verizon last week (got a new Droid) this would be perfect. I'd cancel the contract with no BS ETF fee, and either port the number over to some other service where I could use the Droid (prepaid maybe?) or immediately sign another 2 year contract with Verizon for another phone subsidy (allowing me to eBay one of the phones for a profit).

I was initially opposed to the idea of them raising fees... But now, on second thought, go ahead Verizon-- make my day. I could use an excuse to get out of a new 2 year contract with you with no ETF, socking you for a loss of the phone subsidy you provided...