Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jjakspaw

join:2003-01-05
Buffalo, NY

New Roadrunner 50/5 service... 1/2 speed

HI All

We were just installed with the new Brighthouse RR 50/5 service. and I am having trouble with the service... hmmmm

When I connect the Modem direct to one of my PC's I get 49/5 easy to the brighthouse speed test... When I test here on one of the DSL reporsts tests... Im lucky to get 5/1

the other funny issue... is if I connect the modem and PC's to a router ( I have 3... a linksys, Netgear and Checkpoint ... Check point is my main office router and the other 2 are test routers) I instantly get 1/2 speed.... accross the board

any ideas?

our network is a mix of server2003 /08 win XP and win 7

right now, i have the connection Direct to just 1 computer

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-21
kudos:2

1 edit

you need 1,000mbit router for 50mbit speed

most 10/100 routers will not do more then 35mbps

LAN to WAN or WAN to LAN

jjakspaw

Buffalo, NY
reply to jjakspaw

Lmao!!!! Thats too funny!!!!! I was just discussing this with my co-worker and I mentioned the same possibilty

nycnetwork

join:2000-11-12
Brooklyn, NY

its the fact.

jjakspaw

Buffalo, NY
reply to jjakspaw

i'm curious, Why are standard 10/100 routers limited to 35???? Ive been looking at new routers and I will need to justify the cost of a $1000 router.. can someone provide me with a link to documentation on this limit???? and or give me a good explination to why???

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:15

2 edits

said by jjakspaw:

i'm curious, Why are standard 10/100 routers limited to 35???? Ive been looking at new routers and I will need to justify the cost of a $1000 router.. can someone provide me with a link to documentation on this limit???? and or give me a good explination to why???
Often home routers are CPU/memory bound.

They just don't have the processing power to move the data fast enough.

You can see it with routers running DD-WRT or Tomato, changing the CPU speeds, and benchmarking the throughput.

You may want to look here for router stats:
»www.smallnetbuilder.com/componen···mid,189/
and here for a better router:
»www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi···hInDesc=

maartena
Elmo
Premium
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA
kudos:3
reply to jjakspaw

said by jjakspaw:

They are not limited to 35 perse. It depends on the quality of the router, length of cables, quality of cables, how the ports are configured (full/half duplex etc) and what traffic is going across it, using which Ethernet standard.

Generally, a 100 Mbps LAN will get you 40-50 on the low side, 70-80 on the high side.

Also keep in mind that a router is actually running a mini-OS and needs CPU power to pass traffic through. Many of the cheaper home/office routers, don't have quite enough CPU power to max out the connection on it.

And then there is the modem port. Often the modems are configured with 100 Mbps ports, but configured as HALF duplex, which is 50 Mbps at best.... combine some of the factors mentioned about with it, and you will have some issues with speed.

For the high speed internet connections like 50/5, it might be best to look at the upper segment of routers, those with a 1 Gbps switch on board, and prefably a 1 Gbps WAN port.
--
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!"

maartena
Elmo
Premium
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA
kudos:3
reply to jjakspaw

Oh, also keep in mind that if you are using wireless connections, you are not going to get any more then about 20, 25 Mbps on it using the 802.11g standard. You would need to use 802.11n equipment (on both the router and the computers connecting wirelessly) to get the full speed.
--
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!"

nycnetwork

Brooklyn, NY

my 50/5 connection is in fact 50/5 24/7 wired or wireless on Apple Airport Extreme wireless N router.
It's anywhere between $130 - $180, but it's done right. Rock solid router with 4 1gbps ports.
»www.apple.com/airportextreme/

Bytezboy

join:2001-05-17
New York, NY

1 edit

said by nycnetwork:

my 50/5 connection is in fact 50/5 24/7 wired or wireless on Apple Airport Extreme wireless N router.
It's anywhere between $130 - $180, but it's done right. Rock solid router with 4 1gbps ports.
»www.apple.com/airportextreme/
It's way overpriced imo.

nycnetwork

Brooklyn, NY

You get exactly what you pay for.
You can always get the cheap $30 routers, and expect a miracle until it stops working. If you are not anoyed with the non-stop router issues, droputs etc, then you should be fine with any router.

I'm sick and tired of it.

Bytezboy

join:2001-05-17
New York, NY

2 edits
reply to jjakspaw

^ Me too. I've used netgears, linksys, dlink in the past. Finally switched to a Zyxel X-550 this year. Their N model can be had for around $80, likely outperforms the Apple and with more features.

patt2k

join:2009-01-16
kudos:1
reply to jjakspaw

Get D-Link Dir 655 for 99$ I got it for 85$ once newegg.com had promotion for those routers they are great!

nycnetwork

Brooklyn, NY

1 edit
reply to jjakspaw

Make sure that your Zyxel's and other routers broadcast dual frequencies simultaneously so that your N devices don't get slowed down by adding anything g/b/a on that network (cell phone w/WiFi, older laptops etc..).
Apple router has a dedicated 5Ghz just for N devices, and 2.4Ghz for everything else broadcasted simultaneously. Most cheap routers operate only at 2.4Ghz and automatically discover and scale down the network in order to operate when slower devices are connected.
That's where you see the real slowdowns. Also, I found with my previous routers (d-links, linksys's, netgears belkins) that over the certain period of time( sooner or later), the router just starts freaking out, dropping the connections, requiring the reboots, etc. Maybe the biggest reason is having only one frequency and having to constantly switch and scale down the bands in order to communicate between the wireless devices on the network.

jjakspaw

Buffalo, NY
reply to jjakspaw

Thanks all!!!

Our Main router is a Check point Edge. (ridiculously overpriced) and I think I'll be changing it to a watchgaurd. from the specs it looks like it will handle the speed we are getting..

I also just thought using an old PC with a couple of NICS... dedicating it as a Firewall... I have to run the pros and cons by our HQ IT director and our Pres but I think I will end up with the watchguard

Derwood
Wherever you go, there you are
Premium
join:2003-01-21
Dayton, OH

Look into pfsense. An old pc with a couple of nics is all you need.. Great app

PrymeMover

join:2000-11-22
Olathe, KS
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Comcast
reply to jjakspaw

I'll also vote for pfSense. I built one based on a spare single-core 3.3GHz Celeron I had laying around, and was able to push nearly full wire speed (about 950mbit on a gbit link) though it during bench testing.

pfSense sizing suggests that if you have an old PC with at least a 500MHz processor, you can push up to 50mbit, and 200mbit with a 1GHz chip.

I think it's a great alternative for situations where something like a Cisco ASA is being evaluated.