join:2001-09-30
Santa Rosa, CA

Gbcue to south1178

Premium Member

to south1178

Re: Headlight Color Temperature

said by south1178:

said by Gbcue:

I don't have HIDs, just halogens, and am looking for something in a whiter color temperature.
Get Sylvania Silverstars. They are a bright white on my car.
Did you read what I said?
said by Gbcue:

I don't really want the Sylvania SilverStar due to their short lifespans.

Jahntassa
What, I can have feathers
Premium Member
join:2006-04-14
Conway, SC

Jahntassa

Premium Member

said by Gbcue:

said by south1178:

said by Gbcue:

I don't have HIDs, just halogens, and am looking for something in a whiter color temperature.
Get Sylvania Silverstars. They are a bright white on my car.
Did you read what I said?
said by Gbcue:

I don't really want the Sylvania SilverStar due to their short lifespans.
What short lifespans? I've had the same silverstars in my fogs and turn signals for four years.

My headlights I did have to replace once in that timespan, but I have a feeling there was some other issue that caused that, the recent bulbs are still going strong.

Gbcue
Premium Member
Santa Rosa, CA

Gbcue

Premium Member

said by Jahntassa:

What short lifespans? I've had the same silverstars in my fogs and turn signals for four years.

My headlights I did have to replace once in that timespan, but I have a feeling there was some other issue that caused that, the recent bulbs are still going strong.
Again, I'm talking about headlights, not turn signals or fog lights.

Sylvania Silverstar headlights burn out quickly (less than 1 year). It's widespread knowledge.

Angralitux
join:2004-05-20
DO

Angralitux

widespread what? the only bulbs I put on my old corolla was about 3+ years ago, they where silverstars. I had one that went bad but that was because some asshole hit the car on the headlight assembly, which allowed water and dirt to get in.

The bulb used to replace the bad silverstar is a GE, and there's a noticeable difference both in light pattern and color (sylvania is better in all aspects).
Angralitux

Angralitux to Gbcue

to Gbcue
oh, and I forgot to say, mine where new old stock.

Gbcue
Premium Member
Santa Rosa, CA

Gbcue to Angralitux

Premium Member

to Angralitux
said by Angralitux:

widespread what?
The knowledge that they burn out quickly.

Honda-Tech Forums: "Silverstars suck. They burn out quick"
RedFlag Deals: "Silverstars burn out easy"
Amazon Review: "Great light - burns out very quickly!'
Amazon 2: "The two I purchased burned out within 4 months, and that gets very expensive quickly."
Amazon 3: "And the bulbs both burned out less than 12 months after installation (they failed within a day of each other)."
Amazon 4: "Both lamps burned out within a week of each other - 6 months after they were installed. "
Amazon 5: "These bulbs are whiter and slightly brighter than my originals, but four bulbs have burned out and I am on my third set in less than a year. I asked Sylvania customer support what is the expected lifetime and they told me the bulbs should last for at least one year of normal use. I consider this to be extremely short, but when the first bulb failed at 4 weeks, the second at 6 weeks, the third at 6 months and the 4th at 9 months. I wrote to Sylvania customer support with a copy of my sales receipt and they sent free replacements. I will try a different model when these burn out."
Amazon 6: "These burn out fast. Very fast."
RSX Forums: "It's only the silverstars that burn out too soon."
Fatwallet Forums: "I had both of mine burn out within 4 months. When my second one burned out, I got a ticket for $54 for maintenance of lamps."
Civic Forums: "However, after 8 months, one side has already burned out, and after 12 months the other side also burned out."
Mindful Musings: "These Sylvania SilverStar headlights burn out about once a year."
Nissan Forums: "Just wondering for I have read the Sylvania Silverstars available in Canada don't last long at all and burn out very quickly, ..."

Need I continue?
xj31
join:2005-09-25
Lake Villa, IL

1 edit

xj31 to Jahntassa

to Jahntassa
said by Jahntassa:

Sylvania admits they don't last long.From sylvania website:
Q) How long do the headlights last?
A) The life of any halogen bulb varies based on vehicle type, vehicle voltage, amount of time the bulb is on, road conditions, proper installation, and correct application. The average life of SilverStar® headlights is approximately one year. With our SYLVANIA SilverStar® products, the primary goal is to offer the brightest, whitest light. Research has shown SilverStar® headlights improve driver visibility and reaction time. However, since our SilverStar® headlights are up to 35% brighter and our SilverStar® ULTRA headlights are up to 50% brighter than standard halogen, they may have a shorter life span compared to our other products. We offer a wide variety of products to satisfy customer needs including brightness, durability, color options and increased visibility. We recommend evaluating your annually as part of your regular vehicle maintenance.
That being said,I have had silverstars in my truck for 2 years.The fog lights burned out,both within a week of each other but the headlights are still going fine.Thay are supposed to be around 4000K and they are a nice white color.

Angralitux
join:2004-05-20
DO

Angralitux to Gbcue

to Gbcue
seems two guys here are well above the average. You said in your OP that "you dont want silverstars bc of shorter lifespan", however I must ask: Have you tried silverstars on your own car? I mean, you are just citing opinions all over the internet. Sylvania warns about checking your lights yearly anyway, even for standard halogen bulbs, which btw are just 2X silverstar's life.

If you are very concerned about bulb life, you may as well give a try to sylvania standard halogens or even the long life version (LL=last about 3X times the standard).

for comparision:
»assets.sylvania.com/asse ··· 9567.jpg

Silverstar:
»www.sylvaniaautocatalog. ··· %20%20ST

Sylvania Standard Halogen:
»www.sylvaniaautocatalog. ··· mber=136