All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
jjakspaw
join:2003-01-05
Buffalo, NY

jjakspaw

Re: New Roadrunner 50/5 service... 1/2 speed

i'm curious, Why are standard 10/100 routers limited to 35???? Ive been looking at new routers and I will need to justify the cost of a $1000 router.. can someone provide me with a link to documentation on this limit???? and or give me a good explination to why???

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

2 edits

DocDrew

Premium Member

said by jjakspaw:

i'm curious, Why are standard 10/100 routers limited to 35???? Ive been looking at new routers and I will need to justify the cost of a $1000 router.. can someone provide me with a link to documentation on this limit???? and or give me a good explination to why???
Often home routers are CPU/memory bound.

They just don't have the processing power to move the data fast enough.

You can see it with routers running DD-WRT or Tomato, changing the CPU speeds, and benchmarking the throughput.

You may want to look here for router stats:
»www.smallnetbuilder.com/ ··· mid,189/
and here for a better router:
»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· hInDesc=

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA

maartena to jjakspaw

Premium Member

to jjakspaw
said by jjakspaw:

They are not limited to 35 perse. It depends on the quality of the router, length of cables, quality of cables, how the ports are configured (full/half duplex etc) and what traffic is going across it, using which Ethernet standard.

Generally, a 100 Mbps LAN will get you 40-50 on the low side, 70-80 on the high side.

Also keep in mind that a router is actually running a mini-OS and needs CPU power to pass traffic through. Many of the cheaper home/office routers, don't have quite enough CPU power to max out the connection on it.

And then there is the modem port. Often the modems are configured with 100 Mbps ports, but configured as HALF duplex, which is 50 Mbps at best.... combine some of the factors mentioned about with it, and you will have some issues with speed.

For the high speed internet connections like 50/5, it might be best to look at the upper segment of routers, those with a 1 Gbps switch on board, and prefably a 1 Gbps WAN port.