Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!
dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

NOVA_Guy
ObamaCare Kills Americans
Premium
join:2002-03-05
reply to nishiko7

Re: If this is the way these big companies insist on behaving...

Normally I'm opposed to government intervention and interference, but this sounds like a good idea to me.

The wireless market has not been competitive [enough] in a long while. (That's typically what happens in oligopolies.) Clearly there is a problem when the major wireless providers (AT&T and Verizon) can continually screw their customers by placing caps on their service, placing restrictions on their service, adding mystery fees to their service, and charging exorbitant amounts of money for the service.

The last competitive sign in the wireless marketplace, IMHO, was when Alltel introduced calling circles and the major players followed suit. And that really wasn't much of a competitive move anyway considering that Verizon bought Alltel, and Verizon and AT&T only allow their calling circles on higher priced tiers (those on the lowest tier can't even get it as an add-on feature). True competition, of course, would have led to different results for this feature-- and would also provide enough pressure to keep prices down (or at least avoid collecting unfees from existing customers).

Maybe a nudge here or there from the government could help drive the noncompetitive wireless marketplace in the right direction. I'd love to read about others' ideas of what this nudge from the government should be.
--
To all liberals: I am NOT one of your parents, so get the heck out of my wallet. It's time for you to grow up and take some personal responsibility for taking care of yourselves, which means not relying on the government to give it all to you.