uniqs
Rick5
Premium Member
join:2001-02-06

1 recommendation

Rick5

Premium Member

D3

I think my area of Ct. was converted yesterday as well. Comcast has really done an amazing job getting this rolled out nationwide in such a short amount of time.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

So you are perfectly fine paying more for a modem now than you were before for no apparent reason?
openbox9
Premium Member
join:2004-01-26

1 recommendation

openbox9

Premium Member

Rick5 See Profile might own his modem making the rental fee irrelevant.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

said by openbox9:

Rick5 See Profile might own his modem making the rental fee irrelevant.
True.

Robert
Premium Member
join:2001-08-25
Miami, FL

1 recommendation

Robert to ptrowski

Premium Member

to ptrowski
said by ptrowski:

So you are perfectly fine paying more for a modem now than you were before for no apparent reason?
There's a reason, you just don't like the reason.

Steely
I rise when the sun goes down
Premium Member
join:2000-10-15
Princeton Junction, NJ

Steely to Rick5

Premium Member

to Rick5
said by Rick5:

Comcast has really done an amazing job getting this rolled out nationwide in such a short amount of time.
I agree, but if Verizon hadn't marched onto Comcast's footprint a few years ago with the (at least then) superior FiOS product and aggressively marketed as they did, I can promise you that the "fat cat" cable company would have done absolutely NOTHING like this. So thank Verizon for your fast speeds! Competition is a wonderful thing!

Robert
Premium Member
Miami, FL

Robert

Premium Member

said by Steely:

said by Rick5:

Comcast has really done an amazing job getting this rolled out nationwide in such a short amount of time.
So thank Verizon for your fast speeds! Competition is a wonderful thing!
BULLSHIT. When Verizon rolled out FiOS, Comcast cherry picked and gave those market 16/2.

The DOCSIS 3.0 upgrades are not because of Verizon, but to build out and improve their network.

SpaethCo
Digital Plumber
MVM
join:2001-04-21
Minneapolis, MN

SpaethCo to Steely

MVM

to Steely
said by Steely:

I agree, but if Verizon hadn't marched onto Comcast's footprint a few years ago with the (at least then) superior FiOS product and aggressively marketed as they did
Minneapolis was the first market to get the DOCSIS 3.0 upgrade. The ILECs here are Centrylink (formerly Embarq/Sprint/United) and Qwest. No Verizon or any other similar speed offering anywhere in sight.

Steely
I rise when the sun goes down
Premium Member
join:2000-10-15
Princeton Junction, NJ

Steely to Robert

Premium Member

to Robert
said by Robert:

The DOCSIS 3.0 upgrades are not because of Verizon, but to build out and improve their network.
Yes. Comcast is investing heavily in a major network upgrade and hurrying to deploy it because they want to improve their network. It has nothing to do with competition or the fear of losing customers. Sure.

Believe what you want!

Robert
Premium Member
Miami, FL

Robert

Premium Member

said by Steely:

said by Robert:

Yes. Comcast is investing heavily in a major network upgrade and hurrying to deploy it because they want to improve their network. It has nothing to do with competition or the fear of losing customers. Sure.

Believe what you want!
Seeing how I worked for Comcast and have seen their internal memos, yes, I will believe what I want.

Verizon doesn't cover all of Comcast's footprint, yet Comcast is upgrading ALL their systems to DOCIS 3.0.
Rick5
Premium Member

Rick5 to ptrowski

Premium Member

to ptrowski
said by ptrowski:

No reason?
C'mon man..educate yourself on this upgrade before spouting off.

Comcast doubled customers speeds for NOTHING from 6 to 12Mb along with this upgrade AND the extra modem cost ALSO now includes a router if you want it.

Sound like it's worth the 2 bucks extra to you now?

In any event..yes..I do own my own modem.
Rick5

Rick5 to Steely

Premium Member

to Steely
said by Steely:
said by Rick5:

I agree, but if Verizon hadn't marched onto Comcast's footprint a few years ago with the (at least then) superior FiOS product and aggressively marketed as they did, I can promise you that the "fat cat" cable company would have done absolutely NOTHING like this. So thank Verizon for your fast speeds! Competition is a wonderful thing!
lol..verizon isn't even in Ct...except for maybe a small corner of it overlapping from NY.
So..why then would comcast upgrade us to compete with what isn't even here?

Your argument makes no sense.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski to Rick5

Premium Member

to Rick5
said by Rick5:
said by ptrowski:

No reason?
C'mon man..educate yourself on this upgrade before spouting off.

Comcast doubled customers speeds for NOTHING from 6 to 12Mb along with this upgrade AND the extra modem cost ALSO now includes a router if you want it.

Sound like it's worth the 2 bucks extra to you now?

In any event..yes..I do own my own modem.
Rick, I think I know enough about their upgrades, thanks.

So, how can the upgrade for from 6 to 12 Mb be "nothing" if they raised the modem rental fees? Maybe for some who own their own modem yes, but if you don't it's not a "free" upgrade. Discounted sure, but not free. What if people such as myself who would not want a router? Can I decline the modem fee? I would imagine not.

So, is it free or does it cost $2?

Also, when one thinks of "couch change" it is spare money you happen to find, not spare money you happen to raise via increased fees.

Upgrades are part of doing business. Upgrade and be competitive, don't upgrade and be beat. Please don't try to pass this off as Comcast doing this out of the kindness of their own hearts.
ptrowski

ptrowski to Robert

Premium Member

to Robert
said by Robert:
said by ptrowski:

Should I have to like paying more for anything? Not really. So instead of raising prices they raise the price of a fee so the advertised based price is less. Common practice I guess.

When I think of spare change, it is money laying around, not found in customers accounts.

Robert
Premium Member
Miami, FL

Robert

Premium Member

said by ptrowski:

said by Robert:
said by ptrowski:

Should I have to like paying more for anything? Not really. So instead of raising prices they raise the price of a fee so the advertised based price is less. Common practice I guess.

When I think of spare change, it is money laying around, not found in customers accounts.
A few things.. first, raising the base price would have affected all their customers; thankfully they didn't do that.

Second, the cost to rent a modem is more than what the initial investment for Comcast. They have to constantly maintain an inventory, acquiring new modems to either replace damaged/broken modems, or in add newer modems with better technology. This isn't free or cheap and you get the advantage of insurance and knowing that you can always turn your modem in for a better one, should you wish.

Third, if you are now paying $5/mo., you are welcome to call Comcast and request a free, leased router, since it is now included with the $5/mo. monthly fee.

Fourth, you can purchase your own modem if you wish. This is why I am glad Comcast didn't raise the base price - it gives those renting a modem the ability to purchase their own and eliminate the modem rental fee.
Rick5
Premium Member

Rick5 to ptrowski

Premium Member

to ptrowski
It sounds like you're really struggling to justify what was your lack of understanding of what this really all entailed because I find it hard to believe that even you would REALLY believe that 2.00 a month wasn't worth doubling ones speeds AND getting a router.

As for whether you can bypass that fee..you most certainly can.
By buying your own modem.

And, I do think to some extent it was out of the kindness of their hearts. Because for them to upgrade the entire country with this..many places which had NO competitive reasons to do so..
and at what must have cost them a great deal of money..

was certainly being very customer friendly.

NickD
Premium Member
join:2000-11-17
Princeton Junction, NJ

NickD to Robert

Premium Member

to Robert
What if another company provides 10 megabit wireless Internet 5 years from now? And what's so bad about actually...upgrading your network to handle increasing usage instead of decreasing the cap? They don't even enforce the current cap aggressively. If you go 10-20 over, you don't even get a warning. I bet that by next year, the 250 GB cap gets doubled.