ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Putnam, CT
kudos:4
reply to Rick

Re: D3

So you are perfectly fine paying more for a modem now than you were before for no apparent reason?

openbox9
Premium
join:2004-01-26
Germany
kudos:2

1 recommendation

Rick See Profile might own his modem making the rental fee irrelevant.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
Putnam, CT
said by openbox9:

Rick See Profile might own his modem making the rental fee irrelevant.
True.

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
join:2001-08-25
Kendall, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to ptrowski
said by ptrowski:

So you are perfectly fine paying more for a modem now than you were before for no apparent reason?
There's a reason, you just don't like the reason.
--
CheckSite.us | YourIP.us | Reverseip.us

Rick
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-06
Waterbury, CT
reply to ptrowski
said by ptrowski:

No reason?
C'mon man..educate yourself on this upgrade before spouting off.

Comcast doubled customers speeds for NOTHING from 6 to 12Mb along with this upgrade AND the extra modem cost ALSO now includes a router if you want it.

Sound like it's worth the 2 bucks extra to you now?

In any event..yes..I do own my own modem.
--
The Coyote captured the RR! Roadrunner Rick is now Comcastic!

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
Putnam, CT
said by Rick:

said by ptrowski:

No reason?
C'mon man..educate yourself on this upgrade before spouting off.

Comcast doubled customers speeds for NOTHING from 6 to 12Mb along with this upgrade AND the extra modem cost ALSO now includes a router if you want it.

Sound like it's worth the 2 bucks extra to you now?

In any event..yes..I do own my own modem.
Rick, I think I know enough about their upgrades, thanks.

So, how can the upgrade for from 6 to 12 Mb be "nothing" if they raised the modem rental fees? Maybe for some who own their own modem yes, but if you don't it's not a "free" upgrade. Discounted sure, but not free. What if people such as myself who would not want a router? Can I decline the modem fee? I would imagine not.

So, is it free or does it cost $2?

Also, when one thinks of "couch change" it is spare money you happen to find, not spare money you happen to raise via increased fees.

Upgrades are part of doing business. Upgrade and be competitive, don't upgrade and be beat. Please don't try to pass this off as Comcast doing this out of the kindness of their own hearts.
--
"So, Lone Starr, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb."

Have you been touched by his noodly appendage? »www.venganza.org

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
Putnam, CT
reply to Rob
said by Rob:

said by ptrowski:

Should I have to like paying more for anything? Not really. So instead of raising prices they raise the price of a fee so the advertised based price is less. Common practice I guess.

When I think of spare change, it is money laying around, not found in customers accounts.
--
"So, Lone Starr, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb."

Have you been touched by his noodly appendage? »www.venganza.org

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
join:2001-08-25
Kendall, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by ptrowski:

said by Rob:

said by ptrowski:

Should I have to like paying more for anything? Not really. So instead of raising prices they raise the price of a fee so the advertised based price is less. Common practice I guess.

When I think of spare change, it is money laying around, not found in customers accounts.
A few things.. first, raising the base price would have affected all their customers; thankfully they didn't do that.

Second, the cost to rent a modem is more than what the initial investment for Comcast. They have to constantly maintain an inventory, acquiring new modems to either replace damaged/broken modems, or in add newer modems with better technology. This isn't free or cheap and you get the advantage of insurance and knowing that you can always turn your modem in for a better one, should you wish.

Third, if you are now paying $5/mo., you are welcome to call Comcast and request a free, leased router, since it is now included with the $5/mo. monthly fee.

Fourth, you can purchase your own modem if you wish. This is why I am glad Comcast didn't raise the base price - it gives those renting a modem the ability to purchase their own and eliminate the modem rental fee.
--
CheckSite.us | YourIP.us | Reverseip.us

Rick
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-06
Waterbury, CT
reply to ptrowski
It sounds like you're really struggling to justify what was your lack of understanding of what this really all entailed because I find it hard to believe that even you would REALLY believe that 2.00 a month wasn't worth doubling ones speeds AND getting a router.

As for whether you can bypass that fee..you most certainly can.
By buying your own modem.

And, I do think to some extent it was out of the kindness of their hearts. Because for them to upgrade the entire country with this..many places which had NO competitive reasons to do so..
and at what must have cost them a great deal of money..

was certainly being very customer friendly.
--
The Coyote captured the RR! Roadrunner Rick is now Comcastic!