join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·Embarq Now Centu..
·Comcast
·CenturyLink

Which P2P users? P2P has a non infringing use!

How do the ISP's determine which P2P users are infringing by downloading copyrighted songs. What about those songs that are unrestricted by the copyright owner. I know, the RIAA wants a cut from all musical compositions downloaded, whether the composer/performer wants to be paid or not and whether or not the RIAA owns rights to the compositions/performances in question.

If the compositions are in the public domain who owns the performance copyright. A copyright control agency in Canada recently got the finger by music labels when the copyright control agency could not prove that they owned the performance copyright on the songs in question. The labels already had a license to distribute the compositions. Our lawmakers need a good dose of education. Our copyright system is so complicated that even an experienced Philadelphia Lawyer has a trouble in interpreting the law.

knightmb
Everybody Lies

join:2003-12-01
Franklin, TN
said by Mr Matt:

How do the ISP's determine which P2P users are infringing by downloading copyrighted songs. What about those songs that are unrestricted by the copyright owner. I know, the RIAA wants a cut from all musical compositions downloaded, whether the composer/performer wants to be paid or not and whether or not the RIAA owns rights to the compositions/performances in question.

If the compositions are in the public domain who owns the performance copyright. A copyright control agency in Canada recently got the finger by music labels when the copyright control agency could not prove that they owned the performance copyright on the songs in question. The labels already had a license to distribute the compositions. Our lawmakers need a good dose of education. Our copyright system is so complicated that even an experienced Philadelphia Lawyer has a trouble in interpreting the law.
You can't, period. When I get those letters, unless it's served by a court, I just put them in the bathroom to use as toilet paper later that day.
--
Fight Insight Ready (Was NebuAD) and the like:
Click Here to pollute their data

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02
kudos:39
How many have you gotten? I'm interested to see what kind of letter volumes people have seen that they've subsequently ignored...

cpsycho

join:2008-06-03
HarperLand
I have never gotten one letter. I dont download that much, if its a movie I am considering buy or a game thats impossible to buy now a days then yeah I use torrents.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to Mr Matt
said by Mr Matt:

How do the ISP's determine which P2P users are infringing by downloading copyrighted songs.
My understanding is that they go to the places where songs are traded and join in the trades. I expect that they are only concerned with titles whose copyright holders are RIAA members.
What about those songs that are unrestricted by the copyright owner. I know, the RIAA wants a cut from all musical compositions downloaded, whether the composer/performer wants to be paid or not and whether or not the RIAA owns rights to the compositions/performances in question.
Really? Can you cite a source? I seriously don't see how they can collect fees for titles they (rather their members) don't hold copyright to.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

rideboarder
welcome to the social
Premium
join:2003-07-28
Snohomish, WA
reply to Karl Bode
I received an email from verizon yesterday about copyright infringement..but other than that I haven't received any in 7 years.

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to Karl Bode
said by Karl Bode:

How many have you gotten? I'm interested to see what kind of letter volumes people have seen that they've subsequently ignored...
Not a single one. But I don't trade music at all, and what I do trade is from sources which are not (nearly as I can tell) members of either the RIAA, or MPAA. I leave their stuff alone; most isn't worth the trouble to get "free". If it isn't worth paying for, it isn't worth having.
--
Norman

silentlooker
Premium
join:2009-11-01
reply to Mr Matt
Never gotten such notice, i do use newsgroups instead of p2p so that is most likely the reason why i never gotten a notice.

Musica

@rr.com
reply to NormanS
said by NormanS:

said by Karl Bode:

If it isn't worth paying for, it isn't worth having.
Affirmative.

annony55

@pacbell.net
reply to Mr Matt
I'm sure they can put up bait and log ip addresses. Best to go with netflix and avoid the loss of your privacy

silentlooker
Premium
join:2009-11-01
said by annony55 :

I'm sure they can put up bait and log ip addresses. Best to go with netflix and avoid the loss of your privacy
Do you work for RIAA?

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1
reply to NormanS
said by NormanS:

said by Mr Matt:

How do the ISP's determine which P2P users are infringing by downloading copyrighted songs.
My understanding is that they go to the places where songs are traded and join in the trades. I expect that they are only concerned with titles whose copyright holders are RIAA members.
What about those songs that are unrestricted by the copyright owner. I know, the RIAA wants a cut from all musical compositions downloaded, whether the composer/performer wants to be paid or not and whether or not the RIAA owns rights to the compositions/performances in question.
Really? Can you cite a source? I seriously don't see how they can collect fees for titles they (rather their members) don't hold copyright to.
i dont know about the RIAA but i have heard that BMG/ASCAP have tried to claim they can collect royalties for bands not on their list if the music is played in a public place. even if that place has made some form of separate agreement with said band.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

1 recommendation

said by Kearnstd:

i dont know about the RIAA but i have heard that BMG/ASCAP have tried to claim they can collect royalties for bands not on their list if the music is played in a public place. even if that place has made some form of separate agreement with said band.
I have heard that the moon is made of green cheese.
--
Norman

Pv8man

join:2008-07-24
Hammond, IN
reply to Karl Bode
I've gotten a total of two.

one over a year ago and one last week.