dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
« Vietnam
This is a sub-selection from Just face the facts...

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to Harddrive

Premium Member

to Harddrive

Re: Just face the facts...

said by Harddrive:

in the digital age, there will always be piracy of digital media. its just too easy to get it free.
The real tragedy here is that parents, through their words and actions, tell their children that it is ok to steal, cheat, & lie - just don't get caught. And that is why policies to enforce morality aren't working. We have a generation of people who have been taught that anything goes; morals are relative; and if caught hire a good lawyer to get out of it.

Harddrive
Proud American and Infidel since 1968.
Premium Member
join:2000-09-20
Fort Worth, TX

1 recommendation

Harddrive

Premium Member

no, i think its politicians and big business that tell people 'that it is ok to steal, cheat, & lie - just don't get caught.'

Get real
@mchsi.com

Get real to FFH5

Anon

to FFH5
Your perspective would hold water if the RIAA and record companies weren't using lawyers to protect their right to trowel out poptart sludge no one wants to buy while paying the artists a pittance so they can pay their CEOs 6 and 7 figure incomes.

I read their latest tactic is to charge a fee for the short demos of songs on iTunes; I should pay to find out if their songs are worth paying for? F A I L !

Maybe some day they'll wake up and realize that if they want better sales they need better music, movies and games to sell. When you market product to the lowest common denominator of the market you get lowest common denominator sales and prices.
viperlmw
Premium Member
join:2005-01-25

viperlmw to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5
said by FFH5:

said by Harddrive:

in the digital age, there will always be piracy of digital media. its just too easy to get it free.
The real tragedy here is that parents, through their words and actions, tell their children that it is ok to steal, cheat, & lie - just don't get caught. And that is why policies to enforce morality aren't working. We have a generation of people who have been taught that anything goes; morals are relative; and if caught hire a good lawyer to get out of it.
Speak for yourself.

FFH5
Premium Member
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

said by viperlmw:
said by FFH5:
said by Harddrive:

Speak for yourself.
I always do. Who else would I speak for?
jauman
join:2001-12-06
Kent, WA

2 recommendations

jauman

You presume to speak for all parents. Your statement of "parents, through their words and actions, tell their children that it is ok to steal, cheat, & lie - just don't get caught" asserts all parents DO condone it. Your broad statement is *far* from the truth.

In our capitalist society where theft writ large occurs by corporate leaders and there are anti-consumer actions that borderline on criminal (most-recent example being Verizon's $1.99 mystery data fee), is it really then surprising that small scale theft flourishes?
viperlmw
Premium Member
join:2005-01-25

viperlmw to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5
said by viperlmw:

said by FFH5:

said by Harddrive:

Speak for yourself.
said by FFH5:

I always do. Who else would I speak for?
"The real tragedy here is that I, through MY words and actions, tell MY children that it is ok to steal, cheat, & lie - just don't get caught. And that is why policies to enforce morality aren't working. I have a generation of people who have been taught that anything goes; morals are relative; and if caught hire a good lawyer to get out of it."

Then I fixed it for you!
nasadude
join:2001-10-05
Rockville, MD

nasadude to Harddrive

to Harddrive
said by Harddrive:

no, i think its politicians and big business that tell people 'that it is ok to steal, cheat, & lie - just don't get caught.'
damn, you beat me to it. Accountability and taking responsibility for ones actions no longer exists in America.

karlmarx
join:2006-09-18
Moscow, ID

karlmarx to FFH5

to FFH5
So, in other words, our children have been taught to act like corporations! Wow, there's a winning strategy.

badtrip
Premium Member
join:2004-03-20

badtrip to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5
said by FFH5:

This statement is so full of shit that you must have held your breath while typing it. Downloading media is not lying, cheating or stealing -- it's downloading media. At best it's fair use/non-issue (for open works) and at worst it's copyright infringement.

Further, morality is highly relative. What you may say is immoral, I may say is benign or even fun.

The problem is not morality or ethics, the problem is content providers forgot about the law of supply and demand. They were so busy manufacturing false shortages and charging exorbitant prices for their shitty content, that when the dam broke and supply skyrocketed they cried and shook their fists at their "customers" instead of adapting.

Dinosuars will die.

doc69
Premium Member
join:2004-08-01

doc69 to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5
said by FFH5:
said by Harddrive:

Are you kidding me? With all the lying & stealing bullshit this government & big business do on a daily basis out in the open to everybody & get away with, your gonna sit there & blame the parents? Talk about being mislead!! You need to try some different koolaid. I'm not defending all but you sure did make one big blanket statement there bud!
Desdinova
Premium Member
join:2003-01-26
Gaithersburg, MD

Desdinova to nasadude

Premium Member

to nasadude
I agree, I was going to say that I learned from the Nixon Bunch about "no accountability", "plausible deniability", and the "non-denial denial" all of which are (and probably always have been) part of Business As Usual in politics and big business, the two (primary) institutions who try and prevent non-members from doing the same thing.

str8_Krazy
@sbcglobal.net

1 recommendation

str8_Krazy to doc69

Anon

to doc69
said by doc69:

said by FFH5:
said by Harddrive:

Are you kidding me? With all the lying & stealing bullshit this government & big business do on a daily basis out in the open to everybody & get away with, your gonna sit there & blame the parents? Talk about being mislead!! You need to try some different koolaid. I'm not defending all but you sure did make one big blanket statement there bud!
I don't know how it is where you live but last time I looked parents of children RUN those corporations and stand up and lie for them in front of congress and on national TV

Jim Kirk
Premium Member
join:2005-12-09

Jim Kirk to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5
said by FFH5:

said by Harddrive:

Sounds exactly like the corporations and their tame Republicrats that got us into the current financial mess.

Augustus III
If Only Rome Could See Us Now....
join:2001-01-25
Gainesville, GA

Augustus III to FFH5

to FFH5
said by FFH5:

said by Harddrive:

Oh boy. "stealing" something you never would buy anyway... the gateway "crime" to felony bank robbery, aggravated robbery and drug trafficking.

Holy crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We are doomed!! The next generation of hard core criminals is already walking among you. Hurry, get off the planet; it doesnt comply to your will.

I thought you were the anything goes generation? You know.. get high at woodstock and have unprotected adventure with underage strangers at the hippy bus stop.

What has the world come to when druggies are allowed to breed! Then blame their peers..

johnmc963
@verizon.net

1 edit

johnmc963 to FFH5

Anon

to FFH5
Why the fuck should their be laws to enforce MY morality ... Me as a parent do not need any f'n laws..You are in the group that want to impose morality thru fear and ignorance ..

FFH5
Premium Member
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

said by johnmc963 :

Me as a parent do not need any f'n laws....
And that is why there are laws. Because of that very attitude.
« Vietnam
This is a sub-selection from Just face the facts...