join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to Mr Matt

MVM

to Mr Matt

Re: Which P2P users? P2P has a non infringing use!

said by Mr Matt:

How do the ISP's determine which P2P users are infringing by downloading copyrighted songs.
My understanding is that they go to the places where songs are traded and join in the trades. I expect that they are only concerned with titles whose copyright holders are RIAA members.
What about those songs that are unrestricted by the copyright owner. I know, the RIAA wants a cut from all musical compositions downloaded, whether the composer/performer wants to be paid or not and whether or not the RIAA owns rights to the compositions/performances in question.
Really? Can you cite a source? I seriously don't see how they can collect fees for titles they (rather their members) don't hold copyright to.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd

Premium Member

said by NormanS:
said by Mr Matt:

How do the ISP's determine which P2P users are infringing by downloading copyrighted songs.
My understanding is that they go to the places where songs are traded and join in the trades. I expect that they are only concerned with titles whose copyright holders are RIAA members.
What about those songs that are unrestricted by the copyright owner. I know, the RIAA wants a cut from all musical compositions downloaded, whether the composer/performer wants to be paid or not and whether or not the RIAA owns rights to the compositions/performances in question.
Really? Can you cite a source? I seriously don't see how they can collect fees for titles they (rather their members) don't hold copyright to.
i dont know about the RIAA but i have heard that BMG/ASCAP have tried to claim they can collect royalties for bands not on their list if the music is played in a public place. even if that place has made some form of separate agreement with said band.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

1 recommendation

NormanS

MVM

said by Kearnstd:

i dont know about the RIAA but i have heard that BMG/ASCAP have tried to claim they can collect royalties for bands not on their list if the music is played in a public place. even if that place has made some form of separate agreement with said band.
I have heard that the moon is made of green cheese.