spc
Search similar:

uniqs
jdir
join:2001-05-04
Santa Clara, CA

jdir

Mean while...

Someone has to mention - Japan/Korea ISP is offering affordable (ie $20 range) and 100Mbps broadband- so why can't we ?

Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium Member
join:2008-08-03
San Antonio, TX

Duramax08

Premium Member

Re: Mean while...

Because we are spread out all over the country. We dont live in those 100 story apartments where everyone is packed like sardines in a can.

Bill Dollar
join:2009-02-20
New York, NY

Bill Dollar

79 percent of the U.S. population lives in urban areas.

79 percent of the Japanese population lives in urban areas.

80 percent of the South Korean population lives in urban areas.

And before you go off spouting the "population density" meme, econometric studies have looked at this, and found that it is the percent of urban population, and not the population density, that is positively correlated with national broadband penetration.

Aside from that, I'm in NYC. Where's my $13 100Mbps symmetrical fiber like they have in Tokyo?

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

1 edit

FFH5 to jdir

Premium Member

to jdir
said by jdir:

Someone has to mention - Japan/Korea ISP is offering affordable (ie $20 range) and 100Mbps broadband- so why can't we ?
Because the US doesn't subsidize broadband costs NEAR AS MUCH as they do in Japan & S.Korea. You pay 1 way or another. There they pay higher taxes.
sonicmerlin
join:2009-05-24
Cleveland, OH

sonicmerlin

said by FFH5:

said by jdir:

Because the US doesn't subsidize broadband costs NEAR AS MUCH as they do in Japan & S.Korea. You pay 1 way or another. There they pay higher taxes.
]
You have no idea what you`re talking about. You have literally no idea how industry and government cooperate and interact with each other in Japan. The Japanese government didn`t subsidize broadband nearly as much as the US government did with the 1996 Telecom Act. You really are full of it.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

1 edit

FFH5

Premium Member

said by sonicmerlin:
said by FFH5:
said by jdir:

]
You have no idea what you`re talking about. You have literally no idea how industry and government cooperate and interact with each other in Japan. The Japanese government didn`t subsidize broadband nearly as much as the US government did with the 1996 Telecom Act. You really are full of it.
Don't see any proof of your contention in your vehement reply. All I see is emotion and anger. Oh by the way, YOU ARE WRONG!!

Here are some facts:
$95/person subsidy in Japan »news.zdnet.co.uk/communi ··· 0,00.htm
Japan subsidized and led broadband expansion »www.itif.org/files/2008B ··· dixD.pdf
Japan plan for broadband. See last slide »aimp.apec.org/Documents/ ··· rev1.pdf

tHu5aWat
@ameritech.net

tHu5aWat

Anon

I analyst guy is your "proof"? BTW that could also mean 1 time infrastructure costs. Once the line is in place, the real costs can be calculated, I would like to see those real financial numbers sir say from Japan itself? You got pdf for that?
sonicmerlin
join:2009-05-24
Cleveland, OH

1 edit

sonicmerlin to FFH5

to FFH5
said by FFH5:

Don't see any proof of your contention in your vehement reply. All I see is emotion and anger. Oh by the way, YOU ARE WRONG!!

Here are some facts:
$95/person subsidy in Japan »news.zdnet.co.uk/communi ··· 0,00.htm
Japan subsidized and led broadband expansion »www.itif.org/files/2008B ··· dixD.pdf
Japan plan for broadband. See last slide »aimp.apec.org/Documents/ ··· rev1.pdf
A single analyst`s quote is your evidence. A number that provides absolutely no insight into how the value was calculated or what exactly it is referring to? Brilliant.

And exactly how would you compare that mysterious number to the enormous tax incentives, breaks, and subsidies handed out by the US government to the incumbents ever since the 1996 Telecom Act?

Yet again, you prove you`re full of it. Good job.