Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

keithrunfola

join:2001-12-03
Atlanta, GA

Park and forward cheap ?

Hope I have the right forum.
I have Magic Jack and it is working well enough that I've decided to keep it. ATT has been forwarding our number to the new MJ number for $20 per month. That's way too much IMO. Magic Jack still does not offer porting of your old number though they continue to say that it's, "coming real soon".
So my question is: Where can I park and port my current phone number for significantly less than $20/mo, for now?Thanks.

kieranmullen
Premium
join:2005-12-12
Portland, OR

1 recommendation

My eyes! All the green! Apparently BBR does not read image peraters tag :-( width="100" height="50" etc

Vitelity.com Special with NerdVittles for $3.98 per month ($35 prepay and there is a porting fee of $18 and If your number is on their Network A)

Normal Services link here
»vitelity.com/index.php?p=retailserv

Check which network you are on here
»vitelity.com/index.php?p=network2

Signup Link here
»pbxinaflash.com/vitelity/
--
KieranMullen »360oregon.com

espaeth
Digital Plumber
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-21
Minneapolis, MN
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Vitelity VOIP
reply to keithrunfola

said by keithrunfola:

So my question is: Where can I park and port my current phone number for significantly less than $20/mo, for now?Thanks.
VOIPo express: »www.voipo.com/local-voip-number.shtml

$36/year for 300 minutes per month of forwarding, additional minutes billed at 2.5 cents.

I believe they still have free number porting with express as well.

nitzan
Premium,VIP
join:2008-02-27
kudos:7

1 recommendation

reply to keithrunfola

»[General] VoIP providers with LNP Support

DocSavage4

join:2009-12-20
Pasadena, CA

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to keithrunfola

If you don't have many minutes forwarded, you could park the number on a cell phone using pagepluscellular.com. Buy a cheap Verizon prepaid phone at Wallyworld or Target, activate basically free through pageplus, then have it forwarded at 10cents a minute, no other charges. Plus, you get a cell phone.

macman4hire

join:2009-03-30
Port Saint Lucie, FL

That is fine idea for those who have low call volumes and need a cell phone. This strategy could save them some money.

zaldy

join:2007-12-07
reply to keithrunfola

Onesuite VoIP charges $2.95/month that comes with free porting.

espaeth
Digital Plumber
Premium,MVM
Minneapolis, MN
Reviews:
·Vitelity VOIP

said by zaldy:

Both OneSuite and Vitelity only address half the problem here -- they are incoming only at that price with additional costs for outgoing calls.

For true park and forward service, the VOIPo $36/12 months ($3/mo) offering is a better deal since it includes both the inbound and outbound side of the forwarded call for 300 minutes per month.

brg

join:2001-01-03
Chicago, IL
kudos:1

said by espaeth:

said by zaldy:

Both OneSuite and Vitelity only address half the problem here -- they are incoming only at that price with additional costs for outgoing calls.

For true park and forward service, the VOIPo $36/12 months ($3/mo) offering is a better deal since it includes both the inbound and outbound side of the forwarded call for 300 minutes per month.
Plus there is no guarantee you'll be able to port to Onesuite. Their ability to port in is limited -- they've not been able to do so on two occasions in situations I've been involved with, but in each case Callcentric had no problem.

zaldy

I think Onesuite already sorted out their porting problem now. A friend just successfully ported his number in 3 weeks.

PX Eliezer7
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms

Some Voip outfits have a fee for porting.

Others don't charge a porting fee directly, but they ARE getting money from you as part of an annual contract.

Either way, the company has an incentive to aggressively follow up on any port problems which sometimes do occur.

-----------------------------------------------

With OneSuite, if there is no porting fee upon completion, and no annual contract either, what incentive do they have to spend lots of time and energy on a difficult port?

And I have not been impressed with OneSuite customer service in general anyway.

brg

Chicago, IL

said by PX Eliezer7:

Some Voip outfits have a fee for porting.

Others don't charge a porting fee directly, but they ARE getting money from you as part of an annual contract.

Either way, the company has an incentive to aggressively follow up on any port problems which sometimes do occur.

With OneSuite, if there is no porting fee upon completion, and no annual contract either, what incentive do they have to spend lots of time and energy on a difficult port?
Not sure that's a complete analysis. OneSuite would likely understand that a customer with a ported DID is "somewhat" less likely to churn out (note the quotes -- some folks port here and there hither and yon) than a non-contract, no-ported-DID customer. The sooner a customer is ported in, the sooner that customer spends lots of 2.5 cent minutes calling back the people who called the ported DID.

(Flaw in my own logic: as OneSuite doesn't charge for inbound, then also the sooner OS gives away a lot of free IB calling. So maybe that's a wash.)

said by PX Eliezer7:

And I have not been impressed with OneSuite customer service in general anyway.
Meh. 'Tis true. Have had a number of go-rounds with them. Calling is so-so; emailing -- don't do that. A day or two later you get a canned response saying they "got your email and will respond in 24-48 hours." Rarely happens in that time-frame.

zxt

join:2007-07-28
Los Angeles, CA

1 recommendation

I think you got your analysis correct. People who ported their numbers somewhat stays longer with the service than those who just sign up and gets a local number.

A good percentage of those who ported their numbers must be using their numbers regularly for making and receiving calls though with Onesuite free incoming, people might use the service mostly for incoming calls.

pende_tim
Premium
join:2004-01-04
Andover, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to espaeth

Do either of these providers support SIP forwarding?

If I port my Verizon POTS number to one of them can I then SIP forward the POTS number directly to viop.ms or callcentric?

I know that I can go around the barn and use IPKALL etc but I am looking for a way to directly SIP froward to voip.ms or callcentric.

Tim
--
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

espaeth
Digital Plumber
Premium,MVM
Minneapolis, MN
Reviews:
·Vitelity VOIP

said by pende_tim:

Do either of these providers support SIP forwarding?
VOIPo supports forwarding to a SIP URI, Vitelity does not.

Vitelity supports forwarding to a specific IP address, but the incoming call setup would be to DID@IP, which really only works with a dedicated SIP PBX setup (ie, your own home Asterisk box).

nitzan
Premium,VIP

1 recommendation

reply to pende_tim

said by pende_tim:

If I port my Verizon POTS number to one of them can I then SIP forward the POTS number directly to viop.ms or callcentric?
If you're going to be using voip.ms or CallCentric anyway - just port your number to one of them. The $1/month or whatever you'd save with VOIPo/Vitelity is not worth the extra potential point of failure.

Think about it like this: let's say you did this with VOIPo & CallCentric. Every time EITHER of these providers has an outage - your number will be out of service. Both of these providers are reliable in general - but statistically you will have more outages than someone who goes through to CallCentric directly.

And besides- when you mix and match providers like this you are depraving CallCentric (or whoever) of the incoming revenue. This is bad for the industry as a whole and will eventually result in the extinction of PAYG service IMHO. Providers cannot survive on outgoing-only revenue and need the incoming revenue which is typically higher-margin.

brg

Chicago, IL

said by nitzan:

And besides- when you mix and match providers like this you are depraving CallCentric (or whoever) of the incoming revenue.
He might be depriving CC of revenue, yes. But depraving? That's downright kinky!

pende_tim
Premium
join:2004-01-04
Andover, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to nitzan

Thanks for the insight.

The reason for doing this is to:

1. Port my old POTS number from Verizon for the short term until I can move it to a longer term solution. It is costing me ~$27.00 month for about 5-10 calls per month on Verizon.

2. I am not sure which VIOP provider I will end up with and am looking for a low risk, low cost way to evaluate both. Each has features that I like so I need to see which one fits me best.

3. While I appreciate the fact that inbound SIP is a loss leader for providers, the total minutes I will expect to use will be really small from the POTS forwarded line. I am using VIOP.MS and Callcentric for outbound calling so I am not totally "freeloading" and driving them to the poor house.

Tim
--
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

RockyBB
Premium
join:2005-01-31
Steamboat Springs, CO
reply to nitzan

said by nitzan:

when you mix and match providers like this you are depraving [sic] CallCentric (or whoever) of the incoming revenue. This is bad for the industry as a whole and will eventually result in the extinction of PAYG service IMHO. Providers cannot survive on outgoing-only revenue and need the incoming revenue which is typically higher-margin.
Can't really blame the end-users for this. If carriers are going to provide incentives to customers to cherry pick, then that's what they will do.

PX Eliezer7
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms

1 edit
reply to nitzan

said by nitzan:

Providers cannot survive on outgoing-only revenue and need the incoming revenue which is typically higher-margin.
Does this apply universally, or might it depend on the pricing structure of the particular company?

I would think it would be more of an issue for the basement-priced PAYG outfits compared to the midrange-priced PAYG companies.

nitzan
Premium,VIP

This applies universally.

Callcentric charges roughly 2 cents a minute for domestic termination. PAYG users are typically low usage so let's say 250 outgoing minutes a month average, i.e. $5/month.

Out of the $5, about $2 goes to the actual cost of calls. So we're left with $3 a month on average for those users.

Let's say they pay their support engineers $3k a month (just an example) - that's about $15 an hour. Let's also assume that an engineer takes 15 minutes on average to handle a support case, so in other words a support case costs $3.75 to handle.

Do the math, and if a user submits even one support case - the end result is the provider loses money on their account. Eventually it all averages out as not all users submit one case a month (some less, some more) - but the point is that with these numbers the end result is very little profit to the provider.

If a provider had 100% PAYG domestic outgoing-only users- they'd go out of business. It's DIDs, calling plans, and international calls that bring in profit. Domestic outgoing is a loss-leader.

I ran some calculations a while back. I think it was about 400 accounts I looked at. The combined total of calls they made a month was $80. No provider can survive on this type of revenue. A lot of users is great - but it's better to have 1000 $7/month users than 10000 $0.7/month users.

ImSeeker

join:2007-07-27
Leawood, KS
reply to espaeth

It doesn't look like voipo allows you to transfer your old number with the forwarding option. (36/year)

the residential option (100/year), yes.

espaeth
Digital Plumber
Premium,MVM
Minneapolis, MN
Reviews:
·Vitelity VOIP

said by ImSeeker:

It doesn't look like voipo allows you to transfer your old number with the forwarding option. (36/year)
They do, you just have to open a ticket. It's not working on the order form for some reason.

ImSeeker

join:2007-07-27
Leawood, KS

You're right, it's not on the order form.

So, now I have to figure out how to open a ticket. Honestly, not a good thing for a new customer (i.e. first impressions)

RockyBB
Premium
join:2005-01-31
Steamboat Springs, CO

said by ImSeeker:

You're right, it's not on the order form.

So, now I have to figure out how to open a ticket. Honestly, not a good thing for a new customer (i.e. first impressions)
they have a phone number for personal service, as well as live "chat" available during extended business hours.

sidhanson

join:2010-01-26

called voip. not transferring numbers anymore for the forwarded local number service.

zaldy

reply to nitzan

said by nitzan:

This applies universally.

Callcentric charges roughly 2 cents a minute for domestic termination. PAYG users are typically low usage so let's say 250 outgoing minutes a month average, i.e. $5/month.

Out of the $5, about $2 goes to the actual cost of calls. So we're left with $3 a month on average for those users.

Let's say they pay their support engineers $3k a month (just an example) - that's about $15 an hour. Let's also assume that an engineer takes 15 minutes on average to handle a support case, so in other words a support case costs $3.75 to handle.

Do the math, and if a user submits even one support case - the end result is the provider loses money on their account. Eventually it all averages out as not all users submit one case a month (some less, some more) - but the point is that with these numbers the end result is very little profit to the provider.

If a provider had 100% PAYG domestic outgoing-only users- they'd go out of business. It's DIDs, calling plans, and international calls that bring in profit. Domestic outgoing is a loss-leader.

I ran some calculations a while back. I think it was about 400 accounts I looked at. The combined total of calls they made a month was $80. No provider can survive on this type of revenue. A lot of users is great - but it's better to have 1000 $7/month users than 10000 $0.7/month users.
Thank you Nitzan from an insider point of view of how VoIP make or break profits.