spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

daonesteven

@sbcglobal.net

2Wire 2701HG-B keeps on losing connection every 2-3 minutes!

I am at my wit's end. Basically, we have this model gateway for our 6.0Mbps AT&T DSL line, and I live in a house with 2 other roommates (they're a couple so they live in the same room). I have a Macbook and an Xbox 360 that connects to live, the other two have a laptop each, so basically at maximum, there is 4-5 connections going on.

Whenever I am the only person on the network (other two are not home or I just know they're not using the internet), my laptop and xbox connect beautifully. When I know that my roommates are using their computers (all they pretty much do is stream videos from youtube or what not, no torrenting or gaming), all of a sudden my internet keeps being disconnecting every 2-3 minutes for about 30 seconds or so then it turns back on again, cycling through this annoying process. I never lose my wireless signal (always 4 bars), just lose internet connection which I can tell because my pages will start to not load. I have tried connecting it via ethernet and the problem persists. We used to have the 3.0Mbps service when this was happening, so we upgraded to 6.0Mbps thinking maybe it was a bandwidth issue, and it obviously wasn't.

So I went into MDC and found something that might be the culprit, and I wanted to hear some insight from the experts here on what I should do (THESE were taken when my disconnects were happening with my roommate's computers on the network, doing whatever they do):

DSL Line (Wire Pair): Line 1 (inner pair)
Downstream Rate Cap: 6016 kbps
Downstream Atten. at 300kHz: 36.9 dB
Uncancelled Echo: -2.3 dB Suspicious - check phone filters and alarm
VCXO Frequency Offset: -26.8 ppm Ok
Final Rx Gain: 29.9 dB Ok
Impulse Noise Comp. Tones: 65 Suspicious - impulse noise detected
Excessive Impulse Noise: 0 Ok
Impulse noise protection: 0.00
Delay of latency path: 0.25 ms

I'm a total noob at this, but it seems to say that I have some type of "noise" on my line? We have an ADT security system that we never arm or use because I don't think we pay for it. We also have wireless landline phones but they're 5.8GHz, and I'll double check but I'm pretty sure we have filters in all phone lines that need connection. Besides that, I don't know how else to address these diagnostic issues, if they're even the cause of my disconnects in the first place.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

OFBulldog

join:2009-12-15
Phoenix, AZ
said by daonesteven :

So I went into MDC and found something that might be the culprit, and I wanted to hear some insight from the experts here on what I should do (THESE were taken when my disconnects were happening with my roommate's computers on the network, doing whatever they do):

Uncancelled Echo: -2.3 dB Suspicious - check phone filters and alarm
VCXO Frequency Offset: -26.8 ppm Ok
Impulse Noise Comp. Tones: 65 Suspicious - impulse noise detected

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Well, you hit the nail on the head as far as the issue. You have impulse noise on the line hat may be from any telephone device being connected tot he line but does not have a filter on it. That alarm system that you "never arm or use" needs a special filter that is not included with the basic set up. These must be installed by the alarm people. If you're not using it or paying for it, you might consider disconnecting the phone line to it. Otherwise, one other diagnostic tool you can use it to connect the modem to the outside NID and see if the problem continues. If it does, you know it's an issue with something not being filtered. If not, then there is something else generating noise on your line.

Good luck!

daonesteven

@sbcglobal.net
reply to daonesteven
So I managed to prevent disconnections on our connection, but the noise still remains the same:

Uncancelled Echo: -2.5 dB Suspicious - check phone filters and alarm
VCXO Frequency Offset: -25.9 ppm Ok
Impulse Noise Comp. Tones: 122 Suspicious - impulse noise detected

122!? that is seriously out of this world!! The house has absolutely nothing plugged into phone jacks except this gateway, yet we're getting some incredibly noise. Funny thing is, it was 0 - OK the entire day until around 6pm when it jumped to 67, then to 122, where it remains now.

I am seriously at a loss as to what to do.

wayjac
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy
kudos:1
said by daonesteven :

So I managed to prevent disconnections on our connection, but the noise still remains the same:
If you're not having problems with the internet connection ignore the
"Suspicious - impulse noise detected"

daonesteven

@sbcglobal.net
reply to daonesteven
oh okay. Also, is there a way to restrict bandwidth on certain members of the house? I have a roommate that uses some chinese program that is basically like p2p streaming of some sort. And it really eats up the bandwidth so my latency on Xbox Live is always 1 red.

pb3400

join:2005-04-23
Fremont, CA
reply to daonesteven
not on a 2wire...what you are looking for is called QoS or rate limiting. buy another router and use the 2wire as a dumb modem. problem solved.

daonesteven

@sbcglobal.net
reply to daonesteven
hmm that's a great idea

I also thought about this idea to "throttle" his internet last night. Since the gateway is in my room and I connect both my computer and xbox via ethernet, he's the one connecting to it via wireless. I went into the wireless settings on the 2Wire and realized I can set the 802.11b/g settings and maximum connection rate settings as well. I set it to 802.11b only (from 802.11b/g) and 2Mbps (down from the highest 54Mbps)

Would this idea work as well? The couple is pretty router illiterate so I'm pretty sure I can manage this, aside from the douchebaggery (hey, he wants to use a p2p program that doesn't allow rate limits/settings so this is my answer)

OFBulldog

join:2009-12-15
Phoenix, AZ
said by daonesteven :

I went into the wireless settings on the 2Wire and realized I can set the 802.11b/g settings and maximum connection rate settings as well. I set it to 802.11b only (from 802.11b/g) and 2Mbps (down from the highest 54Mbps)

Would this idea work as well? The couple is pretty router illiterate so I'm pretty sure I can manage this, aside from the douchebaggery (hey, he wants to use a p2p program that doesn't allow rate limits/settings so this is my answer)
You can do that but that would also limit you if you ever connect a wireless device.

Not to contradict wayjac because he is really knowledgeable, but since the impulse noise level changed in this snap shot, you say nothing else is plugged in and this happens in the evening, is it possible your roommates have something in thier room that they are turning on/connecting in the evening to the phone line?

daonesteven

@sbcglobal.net
reply to daonesteven
I mean, honestly it could be, they're probably really not aware of what things they do that could be causing the noise, since it's probably something they just do everyday or whatever.

It could not be the case at all, since we do have an ADT security system installed in the house and it's never armed or used because we don't pay for the service (installed by the previous owners) but it's still on nonetheless. If this was my house, I would go and turn it off, but it actually isn't, it's the couple's house and I'm renting a room in it, and the power panel to the security system is located in the master bedroom closet, so it's kinda out of the question.

In any case, the whole wireless modification thing totally worked, i'm getting barely any lag on my laptop and xbox live, obviously the only caveat is that I have to start using ethernet now, but hey, it can only be faster/more reliable than wireless anyways so I'm glad I worked it out this way.