Clever_Proxy
Premium
join:2004-05-14
Villa Park, IL

Hooked up my Christmas Present (SB6120)

Click for full size
Click for full size

So far, it's looking great!!!

I'm in the Performance Plan (12/2). My only concern is the uncorrected Codewords. While it's not causing any performance issues, I'm wondering if it will cause trouble in the future.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
Not at those levels. look at it as a percentage, and you have a very clean and balanced connection.

trythisfirst

@comcast.net
reply to Clever_Proxy
no, thats normal.

Clever_Proxy
Premium
Villa Park, IL
Yeah, I figured as much. The number of uncorrected codewords are not going up, so it looks like I'm in good shape. Figured I might as well ask though.

Thanks to everyone for helping me get my connection up to snuff.

lilstone87

join:2009-04-09
Portsmouth, VA
kudos:3

1 edit
reply to tshirt
Well the uncorrectable codeword will be between 1000-2000 per channel after it has connected to the internet.
I would only worry about them if they started jumping up to around 10,000 uncorrectable codwords withen a short period of time. Because that could be its having issues staying synced. As of right now your in great shape.

Tordek
Make the outages go away
Premium
join:2009-09-07
Great White
kudos:2

2 edits

1 recommendation

reply to Clever_Proxy
Tshirt is right, lets take channel 4 for example. We Can get our grand total by asdding Corrected + unerrored + uncorrected which is 17877063

So out of this 1 was able to be corrected out of the total, so your precentage of correctable was mathamatically insignificant but for laugh, the value is 0.000005% lol

Thn your Uncorrected was 1287, so precentage was out of your total it was at 0.007 %

In the long and short, When your Uncor's end up being higher then the Unerrords then there is something seriously wrong in kansas toto.

Your perfectly fine.

Wonderful thing about channel bonding, is that if a issue occurs on (lets pick on channel 4 still) Channel 4 then the modem can unlock from that channel to prevent you from loosing sync. Remember a modem only needs 1 upstream and 1 downstream to maintain sync, so your currently locked onto 4 channels. So you can afford to have 3 channels go to hell on the system and still have a connection, yes speeds will be implicated if your on a D3 package, but the issue would be resolved as it would be a aparent HE issue.

Clever_Proxy
Premium
Villa Park, IL

1 edit
said by Tordek:

Wonderful thing about channel bonding, is that if a issue occurs on (lets pick on channel 4 still) Channel 4 then the modem can unlock from that channel to prevent you from loosing sync. Remember a modem only needs 1 upstream and 1 downstream to maintain sync, so your currently locked onto 4 channels. So you can afford to have 3 channels go to hell on the system and still have a connection, yes speeds will be implicated if your on a D3 package, but the issue would be resolved as it would be a aparent HE issue.
Now THAT is cool! I didn't know that's how D3 operated. Even though I don't have a D3 package, I wanted a D3 modem because every D3 connection I worked on seemed so reliable. I never knew why, but I think you just answered that question for me. Thanks for the info!

lilstone87

join:2009-04-09
Portsmouth, VA
kudos:3
said by Clever_Proxy:

said by Tordek:

Now THAT is cool! I didn't know that's how D3 operated. Even though I don't have a D3 package, I wanted a D3 modem because every D3 connection I worked on seemed so reliable. I never knew why, but I think you just answered that question for me. Thanks for the info!
Yeah each channel has to stay withen 2db of the first channel. So if your channel 3/4 went up another db it would probably drop them channels. But as mention by the above poster you would still stay connected, just with less channels.

Tordek
Make the outages go away
Premium
join:2009-09-07
Great White
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to Clever_Proxy
No problem,

For a d3 modem on a non-d3 tier pack the biggest benefit is redundancy. If all of a sudden the noise on one of the channels bottomed out (SNR Dropped) or any other network snafu's occur your modem would drop that particular channel and run on the remaining ones.

D2 also has the ability to do this, but it means rebooting the modem and scanning for a different channel. Rebooting the modem means loosing sync, so your utorrent, ares, msn, xbox live would all die off while your modem reboots and scans.

D3, what i personally like about it, will simply knock off that channel, and you will not notice any change using the aformentioned systems.

D3 is defintly the new future of broadband coax internet, it offers so much more even for those not taking full advantage of the speed increases.

DToX69
Premium
join:2009-02-02
US
reply to Clever_Proxy
God gotta love channel bonding