jack b
Gone Fishing
MVM
join:2000-09-08
Cape Cod

jack b

MVM

Outdoor Meter Socket

I had my POCO out last night, my lights have been flickering for a while. He opened up the meter pan, and it looks like one of the lower (load) jaws overheated and melted the meter plastic backing around the meter blade. The jaw is also discolored from the heat. I want to find out if the meter itself failed or the socket jaw is in fact bad.
As a temporary measure, they jumped the good leg in the socket and I backfed the "dead" leg in my panel by jumpering an unused two pole 50 amp breaker.

In any event, what can I expect to pay for an electrician to replace a 200 amp 240v 2 wire outdoor socket?

Savant
Premium Member
join:2001-08-12
Toronto

Savant

Premium Member

It would be helpful to see a picture. There are some variables that come into play as to whether they can just swap out the meter box, or whether they have to replace other things as well. (Without getting into particulars, things need to be brought up to code, so a much older install may need to have more done than a newer one.)

I'd tend to lean toward the jaw being loose (if it is an old socket) or perhaps the lug that holds the wire connected to the jaw being loose. (which could also cause a problem) I replaced a meter socket once that had a similar problem and it was because it was missing the small secondary spring clip on the outside of the jaw, and it looked to have been a factory defect.

A straight meter socket swap on a service fed from underground lines shouldn't be more than a couple hours time + materials. The price goes up if things are more complicated. (rigid steel pipe on an old mast that is threaded directly into the socket will require more work to get the old socket out etc.) This is where pictures help.

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
·Charter

nunya to jack b

MVM

to jack b
Is it overhead or underground?
A standard 200A underground situation: I'd probably charge you $209.36. There would have to be enough slack wire left on the feeders.

If it was a standard 200A overhead: $301.77. There would have to be enough slack wire left on the feeders.

If it was a common base, I'd probably pull the guts and just replace those: Probably about $140.00.

This would be on typical installations where all portions are readily accessible.
nunya

nunya to jack b

MVM

to jack b
All the "movement" is in the jaw. Unless it's a "very smart" (not just "smart") meter, the meter bus is just two chunks of metal wrapped in windings for the meter. If it has been arcing for a while, the meter ear *could* have thin spots on it. I'd have your electrician look at it while it's out. 95% of the time it is strictly the jaw.

Note that the power company will have to come back and cut the power while the meter is being fixed. Anybody that does otherwise isn't qualified to be working on the meter base.

jack b
Gone Fishing
MVM
Cape Cod

jack b

MVM

Thanks!
It's an overhead service, no steel mast just service entrance cable in and out. I'll get a few pic's once it stops raining here, and I can sneak away from company visiting.
jack b

1 edit

jack b

MVM

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
It's obvious there was a contact issue with the load cable lug connection, the conductor shows no evidence of CU/AL ever being applied.
It looks like somebody did a nasty job trying to repair a water condition.
This is an early '70's-vintage install.
scooper
join:2000-07-11
Kansas City, KS

scooper to jack b

to jack b
All I got to say is "glad it's you and not me having to deal with this". Best of luck and get it fixed right...

jack b
Gone Fishing
MVM
Cape Cod

jack b

MVM

Click for full size
LOL thanks.
I forgot the meter pic:

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
O Fallon, MO
·Charter

nunya to jack b

MVM

to jack b
The silicone just added $75.00 to the job. Good grief! Who did that?

That base is probably "uneconomical to repair", and should be put out of it's misery.
Many places do not allow SEU cable to be exposed like that. It appears that there are some water and cable support issues. I'd consider rebuilding the service with conduit, or at the very least new fittings.

My guess is water is entering the cable at the weather head or that crummy fitting on top of the meter. Water, coupled with the fact that there is not any oxide inhibitor on the AL connections may have lead to the heating of that jaw.

If SEU absolutely must enter topside, it should go through a neoprene pressure fitting.

Personally, I'd spend a little more money than just making it "good enough". I'd go ahead and put everything in EMT or heavywall. Since you muni allows exposed SEU, you might even be able to use PVC.
nunya

nunya to jack b

MVM

to jack b
No signs of damage on the meter. Make sure the poco greases that puppy before it goes back into the new base.

jack b
Gone Fishing
MVM
Cape Cod

2 edits

jack b

MVM

Click for full size
Click for full size
different shot, showing both meter load blades.
The meter was left hanging on the pan, and it filled up with water.
I think it's a goner.

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
O Fallon, MO

nunya

MVM

Oh yeah, I can see it got a little warm too. Good thing you don't have to pay for it. The smart meters can run up to $600.00.

jack b
Gone Fishing
MVM
Cape Cod

jack b

MVM

It didn't sound like they were going to charge me for damage to the meter, the guy said they're "throw-aways".
It's not "smart" other than it's solid state w/LCD display and they drive a truck down the street and collect the meter readings. My billing is flat rate 24/7, no peak/off-peak, peak demand, etc.
patcat88
join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY

patcat88

said by jack b:

It didn't sound like they were going to charge me for damage to the meter, the guy said they're "throw-aways".
It's not "smart" other than it's solid state w/LCD display and they drive a truck down the street and collect the meter readings. My billing is flat rate 24/7, no peak/off-peak, peak demand, etc.
It can still be reflashed wirelessly into a smart meter with a smart meter billing tier at any time.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

Anonymous_

Premium Member

said by patcat88:

said by jack b:

It can still be reflashed wirelessly into a smart meter with a smart meter billing tier at any time.
SoCal Edison IS so cheap they installed a Brand new analog meter reading 00000 it's all ready at 01000+
i think it maybe spinning way too fast

jack b
Gone Fishing
MVM
Cape Cod

jack b

MVM

Click for full size
Click for full size
I was able to get an electrician over today. I managed to get a couple of shots before my camera memory card filled up.

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
O Fallon, MO

nunya to jack b

MVM

to jack b
That's better.
WYXX
join:2009-12-21
Riverside, RI

WYXX to nunya

to nunya
said by nunya:

Note that the power company will have to come back and cut the power while the meter is being fixed. Anybody that does otherwise isn't qualified to be working on the meter base.
Unless you're an electrician on This Old House.

dosdoxies
Premium Member
join:2004-12-15
Wallingford, PA

dosdoxies to jack b

Premium Member

to jack b
And I hope you remembered to "unjump" that 50 amp double pole in your panel!
nonymous (banned)
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ

nonymous (banned) to jack b

to jack b
That is why I do not use any electrician. All that expensive work. Just pounds some nails in to hang the drop off of. Any old box enclosure you have floating around the house. Then a few wire nuts. All done,
unless you want to paint the new drop and box to match the house. The cable is rated for outdoor use so paint will not hurt it. No need for conduit.
Plus you have the exposed neutral if you ever need to attach to it for anything. In conduit you would have to cut a hole to get at it.
Electricians are just a waste of money.

Nick_L
Premium Member
join:2003-01-22
Pittsburgh, PA

Nick_L to jack b

Premium Member

to jack b
Off topic: While not my personal taste, I must compliment you on your home. It has a very warm, inviting quality to it. It also appears very well maintained. Nice.

Nick

jack b
Gone Fishing
MVM
Cape Cod

1 edit

jack b to dosdoxies

MVM

to dosdoxies
said by dosdoxies:

And I hope you remembered to "unjump" that 50 amp double pole in your panel!
My electrician said the exact same thing as I was firing up my suicide generator connection.

Thank you, Nick.
patcat88
join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY

1 edit

patcat88 to nonymous

to nonymous
said by nonymous:

Plus you have the exposed neutral if you ever need to attach to it for anything. In conduit you would have to cut a hole to get at it.
Electricians are just a waste of money.

Remember to connect your lightning rods to the neutral, its all ground right?

Why use wirenuts? I prefer tire air caps, or twist with fingers then 99 cent store non-UL electrical tape. Use Tupperware for junction boxes. If your short on wire, use coat hanger wire or razor wire with some roofing tar as insulator, your papa did it in his days, it was called knob and tube. Don't waste time and $ with romex staples, just carefully drive a nail between the neutral and ground, thats why the wires flat.

davidg
Good Bye My Friend
MVM
join:2002-06-15

davidg to jack b

MVM

to jack b
around here the jakelegs at the poco would have said the meter base was corroded and then proceeded to plug/unplug the meter several times rapidly to "clean" it. i shit you not, they did that once and hosed a couple of transmitters at one ouf our tower sites. bad thing was my tech was reaching for the disconnect right next to the meter when the guy did it.

drjim
MVM
join:2000-06-13
Long Beach, CA

drjim to nunya

MVM

to nunya
nunya....what do they use for "grease"?
OCP
Premium Member
join:2004-10-11
USA

OCP to Nick_L

Premium Member

to Nick_L
Ditto. I hope the repairs only add more value.

Mdoc
Ehh... munch munch... what's up, Doc?
Premium Member
join:2007-03-27
Sterling, VA

Mdoc

Premium Member

I would think the repairs only restores value, not add to it.

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
O Fallon, MO
·Charter

nunya to drjim

MVM

to drjim
Most of them carry ILSCO oxide inhibitor:
»www.ilsco.com/ProductsDe ··· uPeME%3D

drjim
MVM
join:2000-06-13
Long Beach, CA

drjim

MVM

Ok, that's kinda what I thought they might use.
join:2000-10-10
Decatur, GA

8744675 to jack b

to jack b
I'm curious how your Christmas candles in the window are lighting up when there's no power to the house?