i1me2ao
Premium Member
join:2001-03-03
TEXAS

i1me2ao to KrK

Premium Member

to KrK

Re: legal not to serve tap water?

it is law for restaurant to have running pottable water. after so many hours without you are required to shutdown or city will force you closed.

no food and drink is also health concern and a FREAKIN BUSINESS. you cant bring in your mcdonalds and use my utensils/ condiments/ trash you cheap ass.

NOVA_Guy
ObamaCare Kills Americans
Premium Member
join:2002-03-05

NOVA_Guy to treetop1000

Premium Member

to treetop1000
said by treetop1000:

Stop pretending you dont know why they do this.
It's quite obvious they are watching you. You've been a Mcd's test subject for quite a few years now, and they like it that way. Any day goes by, they know where to find you, what you're gonna order, how well you'll enjoy it, how much cash is in your pocket.
So what you're essentially saying is that McDonald's and Google are one in the same?
NOVA_Guy

NOVA_Guy to joeffff

Premium Member

to joeffff
I'd like to encourage the person who started this thread to do exactly this. Businesses whose actions both violate the law and treat customers poorly should have as many complaints as possible filed against them.

Perhaps we should all contact the department and file complaints as well? That would certainly get someone's attention.

i1me2ao
Premium Member
join:2001-03-03
TEXAS

1 recommendation

i1me2ao

Premium Member

better yet dont go there. sometimes it is better to cut losses from customer bases than to serve. the customer is not always right..

3rd generation small business..

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt to ilikeme

Premium Member

to ilikeme
said by ilikeme:

I was at a pizza place for lunch today that I have never been to before, and for some reason they refused to serve tap water, and required everyone to buy bottled water or soda with their meal. Is it even legal or against health codes for a restaurant to not offer tap water? This place was just a typical pizza place called Brothers pizza here in Houston.
Why would anyone want to drink tap water? the only tap water i would consider drinking would have to be filtered. I stopped drinking unfiltered tap water 25 years ago.
aaronwt

aaronwt to prestonlewis

Premium Member

to prestonlewis
said by prestonlewis:

Their web page says "we treat you like family!"

Now, you wouldn't want to serve tap water to family would you?

Hope you didn't leave a tip, if they have table service.
No way would I ever serve anyone i my family tap water if it's unfiltered. They must have unfiltered tap water and are treating you like family. Any restaurant that has unfiltered tap water should not be serving it to anyone.

joako
Premium Member
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null

joako to ilikeme

Premium Member

to ilikeme
said by ilikeme:

required everyone to buy bottled water or soda with their meal.
So if you just don't want anything to drink NO PIZZA FOR YOU?

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

2 edits

aaronwt to dvd536

Premium Member

to dvd536
said by dvd536:

said by BlitzenZeus:

They are just trying to make more money is all it comes down to. They could have water on the soda machine, but even when people ask for a water glass nobody is going to be watching the machine all the time to make sure they are getting water.

The profit margin on soda is so high, while they won't make all their bills on soda, it certainly is one of their most profitable items. If most places charged what they should on soda, you would get unlimited refills for $.50
thats why mc D's has any size soda for a buck. they got the syrup turned down so low it doesn't even taste like soda, when you get a large coke you can actually see the bottom of the cup, that how low they got it turned down!
You need to call corporate on that. The manager of the Mcdonalds will get in trouble. That is not their policy to serve soda mixed incorrectly.
And you'll get some free giftcards out of it. Any restaurant I see problems like that I call about it and 9 out of 10 times I get a free gift card from them.
patcat88
join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY

patcat88 to BlitzenZeus

to BlitzenZeus
said by BlitzenZeus:

The profit margin on soda is so high, while they won't make all their bills on soda, it certainly is one of their most profitable items. If most places charged what they should on soda, you would get unlimited refills for $.50
»www.nationwidecandy.com/ ··· e=Google
$103 for 5 gals of name brand syrup
»www.cokepubandbar.co.uk/ ··· ion.html
5.4 to 1 dilution ratio, lets see how much soda we can make (5.4*5)+5=32 gal , 32 gal is 4096 oz, 4096/16= 256 medium cups, $103/256 = 40 cents per medium cup for syrup

now, this is at retail, but no shipping, hmmm, 40 cents is a bit expensive I think, lets see how many 2 liter boxes we can make

32 gal is 121 liters, or 60 2 liter bottles, $103/60=$1.71, wait, this is rotten, there is no way on earth syrup costs more than the 2 liter bottle equivalent, 2 liter bottle of coke is $1.39 around me.

yeah, there is a reason why some places have self serve unlimited refills, or 5 cent refills on fountain soda, its basically tap water with a tablespoon of syrup

SLD
Premium Member
join:2002-04-17
San Francisco, CA

SLD to dvd536

Premium Member

to dvd536
LOL, by coincidence, I pulled a Sprite from the machine at Chipotle Mexican Grill last week, and it was almost all soda water! Same company, must be a conspiracy!!!
Babaganooosh
join:2008-03-18
Belmar, NJ

Babaganooosh to ilikeme

to ilikeme
Hey all you people who wont drink tap water.. Where do you think all the ice that is in your drinks comes from? They certainly don't fill ice cube trays with bottled water.

vircotto
Premium Member
join:2002-06-04
searching...

vircotto to ilikeme

Premium Member

to ilikeme
Never occurred to me that state or local law (or license) would require a restaurant to server tap water. Wow. I bet there is no requirement that the tap water is free, though.

That said, I've been in a number of restaurants in several states where they would not serve tap water. (I usually drink water with my meal.) I figure that's just their way of making a couple of extra bucks. I don't think that is any different than charging $8 for a 6 oz glass of orange juice. Don't like it? Eat elsewhere.

Of course if a restaurant is in violation of the law or their license/regulations, you have the right to complain.

FWIW, I've rarely had a problem with drinking tap water. I've done a bit of camping where you get water from hand-pumped wells or directly from a lake, and can only remember one place where the iron-sulphur taste really challenged my ability to drink it.
patcat88
Jamaica, NY

patcat88 to dvd536

to dvd536
said by dvd536:

thats why mc D's has any size soda for a buck. they got the syrup turned down so low it doesn't even taste like soda, when you get a large coke you can actually see the bottom of the cup, that how low they got it turned down!
Most Mcdonalds are franchises, the franchise owner determines how cheap they want to be. Officially McD corporate has "strict standards" about soda quality and machine cleaning I've read somewhere online. My closest McD's Diet Coke tastes like soap, I never goto it for anything (health dept report says mouse problem too). A McD in a higher income neighborhood further away has normal tasting fountain Diet Coke.

alanhdsl
Premium Member
join:1999-10-09
Phoenix, AZ

alanhdsl to ilikeme

Premium Member

to ilikeme
The classic calculation is that the cup costs more than the soda in it. This is also why they're reluctant to give out cups of water -- some will use cheaper foam or plastic "water cups" which also lets them see who didn't pay for a drink. However, refusing to serve free tap water causes so much ill will that few are willing to do that.

As for the bad Coke at a McDonalds, in addition to ratting them out to McD corporate, you can also complain to Coke. They're very protective of their brand image and may give McD grief if they're looking bad.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD to aaronwt

Premium Member

to aaronwt
said by aaronwt:
said by dvd536:
said by BlitzenZeus:

They are just trying to make more money is all it comes down to. They could have water on the soda machine, but even when people ask for a water glass nobody is going to be watching the machine all the time to make sure they are getting water.

You need to call corportae on that. The manager of the Mcdonalds will get in trouble. That is not their policy to serve soda mixed incorrectly.
And you'll get some free giftcards out of it. Any restaurant I see problems like that I call about it and 9 out of 10 times I get a free gift card from them.
Also, complain to CocaCola corporate, they are loosing out on buisness. McDs should be buying more syrup, and it a QA issue, it damages CCs reputation to sell crappy product with their name on it.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
Netgear WNDR3700v2
Zoom 5341J

KrK to i1me2ao

Premium Member

to i1me2ao
said by i1me2ao:

it is law for restaurant to have running pottable water. after so many hours without you are required to shutdown or city will force you closed.
Yeah, but I don't think they are required to make it available on the Menu.

NOVA_Guy
ObamaCare Kills Americans
Premium Member
join:2002-03-05

NOVA_Guy to i1me2ao

Premium Member

to i1me2ao
I'd actually suggest that doing both actions would be best. Don't go there, but still call and file a complaint about the business not providing water. That's actually much closer to what I was thinking in my last post anyway.
patcat88
Jamaica, NY

patcat88 to battleop

to battleop
said by battleop:

It's their business and they can do what they want. There is no law that says they must give you free tap water and there is no law that says you can't take your business elsewhere.

You didn't hit the lottery on this one. Please try again.
I've heard that in places like arizona, if your a property owner and/or a public place and/or a restaurant, not serving water for free can lead to manslaughter charges if the person dies walking along the road.
patcat88

patcat88 to aaronwt

to aaronwt
said by aaronwt:

said by prestonlewis:

No way would I ever serve anyone i my family tap water if it's unfiltered. They must have unfiltered tap water and are treating you like family. Any restaurant that has unfiltered tap water should not be serving it to anyone.
Depends where you are

»projects.nytimes.com/tox ··· c-waters

NYC tap water is awesome, 30 miles away its chlorinated until it burns your eyes and has a film on it. For profit water companies in my personal experience just delivery industrial waste to your tap, govt/non-profit water is usually good since no profit motive.

C_Chipperson
Monster Rain
Premium Member
join:2009-01-17

C_Chipperson to BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

to BlitzenZeus
said by BlitzenZeus:

Costco can still do this, you get a hot dog and unlimited soda for $1.50, though you still are paying 50$ a year for the privilege to shop there.

Cheese
Premium Member
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL

1 recommendation

Cheese

Premium Member

said by C_Chipperson:

said by BlitzenZeus:

Costco can still do this, you get a hot dog and unlimited soda for $1.50, though you still are paying 50$ a year for the privilege to shop there.
Costco FTW!
DiskDrive
Goin' In Circles
Premium Member
join:2004-11-03
Farmington, MI

DiskDrive to patcat88

Premium Member

to patcat88
According to Costco's Business site (»www.costco.com/Browse/Pr ··· ng=en-US), they sell a 5 gallon box for $58.62 and claims there it makes 3,680 finished ounces.

I can't imagine that anybody doing volume, however, is paying that much and is using boxes instead of cylinders (do they still use those?)...

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
·Charter

nunya to ilikeme

MVM

to ilikeme
It looks like their might be some obscure requirement for Houston businesses to have a drinking fountain...but that's about it. (I actually looked through the health ordinances)
As an example, in some muni's where I live, drinking fountains are required in new businesses, however nothing states they have to be available to the public.

I'd just call the owner and gripe. If you don't get satisfaction, take your business elsewhere.

Gbcue
Premium Member
join:2001-09-30
Santa Rosa, CA

Gbcue to aaronwt

Premium Member

to aaronwt
said by aaronwt:

said by prestonlewis:

What kind of filter are you running?

Fir_Na_Tine
Time to get riggity riggity wrecked son
Premium Member
join:2001-01-03
South Jersey

Fir_Na_Tine to ilikeme

Premium Member

to ilikeme
I remember I went to a club with a bunch of friends and I decided to stop drinking beer (getting too drunk), so I asked for a cup of water, the bartender gave me a hard time trying to sell me $6 bottled water. I said I just want a cup filled with tap water from the sink behind him, he refused. I went back a little later and saw another bartender and after I declined the bottled water again she did give me ice water from the tap, said she didn't blame me for not wanting the $6 water. I ended up giving her my tip.

My local bar the one I usually goto always gives free soda if you had too much to drink. and if you come in only wanting soda, they only charge $1 I think for it. Good business sense, take care of your customers treat them good rather than just trying to empty their wallets.

koolman2
Premium Member
join:2002-10-01
Anchorage, AK

koolman2 to BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

to BlitzenZeus
said by BlitzenZeus:

Many bottled water companies just bottle tap water, so I don't see how bottled water is any better personally. They might run it through one more filter, but that is about it.
ALL bottled water companies that bottle municipal-sourced water run it through reverse osmosis filtration, and many add in some minerals to make it the same taste as spring water equivalents. After it has gone through reverse osmosis, it is no longer "just tap water".

disconnected
@snet.net

disconnected to Anonymous_

Anon

to Anonymous_
THe following is a toungue in cheek reply and is not meant as serious advice, but to humour the situation:

Stick it to them by NOT ordering water, choking on your pizza and then sueing them for not giving you water.

It IS the American lititious way..

Cheese
Premium Member
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL

Cheese

Premium Member

said by disconnected :

THe following is a toungue in cheek reply and is not meant as serious advice, but to humour the situation:

Stick it to them by NOT ordering water, choking on your pizza and then sueing them for not giving you water.

It IS the American lititious way..

longstreet
join:2004-11-14
Plano, TX

longstreet to ilikeme

to ilikeme
I'd have to say that a service establishment is able to sell whatever they want unless there is some regulation that forces them otherwise.

Most places that I go to give water for free.

If I can't get a free glass of water, then I probably would walk out.

Link8
join:2001-12-16
Davis, CA

Link8 to ilikeme

to ilikeme
*puts on his right winger hat*

It's their business. They can kick you in the ass, beat you up if they want. They can crap all over the pizza you paid for too, it's your fault. You're the idiot that went there! If you don't like it, don't go back.

*left winger*

There should be a law against this kind of treatment. XD