Search similar:

uniqs

GoldieMLS
@alltel.net

GoldieMLS

Anon

Can PRLs be blocked?

Hi
I posted previously about roaming PRLs ~ I had an Alltel contract and am now Verizon. After help from this forum I thought I had found the perfect PRL (or at least a pretty good one!)

After using 51611 for a week, it flipped back to 40057. I changed it back and 3 days later, I was back to 40057. this has happened on and off. I keep switching it back whenever it changes. I can live with that - not a problem.

Last night, while using 51611, I could not connect to internet and received the message 'remote computer not responding'. I tried 40042 and could not use that either - same message. Today I am able to connect with a 1x to 30043 and 40044. Sadly, these are too slow!! I am doing ok with 40043 currently in rA but not as fast as 51611.

I am wondering - can Verizon 'block' the faster speeds from me by blocking the 'good' PRLs? (Perhaps this is a fluke and all will be well in a week or so)........just wanted to ask and see if anyone has experience with something similar or thoughts on what may be happening.
Thank you for your time!
jbeenemd
join:2002-05-14
Willard, MO

jbeenemd

Don't know if there is a way to block them from sending you a new PRL. The PRLs are a "Preferred Roaming LIST" and tells your phone or modem which towers it can access. I do not think that is your problem.

Here in Southwest Missouri, I started having problems connecting to Rev A in November. Another member here was having the same problems and talked to the right tech guy at Verizon. He was told that they were working on our towers. All would be fixed by Dec 17th. On Dec 16th I was able to get back on Rev A and all is good again.

I was getting paranoid about all this as I could see Rev A in the Quick Link Mobile before connecting and would drop back to 1X as soon as I connected. I also tried changing PRLs. That made no difference. That made sense to me as there is only one Alltel tower to connect to around here as I am way out in the boonies.

I would try calling tech support and ask them to talk to an upper level tech to see if they are working on the towers in your area. They might not be able to tell you at time of call. My tech support arraigned a call back time to get back to me after a few days to go over everything again and see how things were working. I would say that it was about a month of crappy service that I had to put up with. I asked for some sort of credit on my bill and they gave me an instant $50 credit without blinking an eye. That alone is worth the call to tech support.

Jackie

GoldieMLS
@alltel.net

GoldieMLS

Anon

OK, thanks. I live in the middle of 3 towers - or so I have been told. (Of course, I am on the 'fringe' of them all......) I have never had much luck with tech support but if it gives me a chance at a credit....I would be more inclined to deal with them! Thanks for the info!
DemyDame
join:2009-07-16
Four Oaks, NC

DemyDame to jbeenemd

to jbeenemd
Goldie,

I don't know either if the 'good PRLs' are or could be blocked. I use an EC 168. I had the PRL 40057 which was functional (that's all I can really say. I get 2 or 3 bars (out of five), but not on a consistent basis). Now Verizon switched me to 40058. Last week was the 2 or 3 bars, but this week has been terrible. I only get 2 or 3 bars in the evening. The days are painful. I get one or two bars RTT during the day, and my computer won't show pages or just seems to stop all together. I don't know when the PRL change happened though. I live in a fringe area too - that's what they always tell me.

Yes, this merger is still terrible. You definitely call tech support, but once they see you are in a fringe area, it all goes downhill.

Is 51611 an Alltel PRL or a Verizon one?
jbeenemd
join:2002-05-14
Willard, MO

jbeenemd to GoldieMLS

to GoldieMLS
That is a Verizon PRL. As far as I know, you should not have that one unless you were on Verizon before the merger.

Jackie

GoldieMLS
@alltel.net

GoldieMLS

Anon

Yeah, it is Verizon's PRL. I forced it on my aircard awhile back when the Alltel PRLs were getting me just a bit more than dialup. Now it seems any PRL that does not start with a 4 gives me the 'remote computer did not respond' popup box. well, the other PRLs were good while they lasted!

These Verizon commercials crack me up. Yeah - they have great coverage but wont let anyone use the faster speeds. Oh well, if I wait a week I'm sure things will change again. Let's just hope for the best! I wish cable would just come through so I could be done with this aircard!!!
MarthaG0
join:2007-10-28
Kimbolton, OH

MarthaG0 to GoldieMLS

to GoldieMLS
I didn't want to start a new thread so I am posting my question on this one. I am using PRL 51638 and was wondering if there is a newer one. Thanks for any advice.

goldie mls
@alltel.net

goldie mls

Anon

I just picked that one up today and it looked the newest one out there to me. www.corolada.cpm/prl is where I go to see what is out there. I can use Altell prls too so you might want to check those out if you are looking for something newer.

The 51638 isn't doing much for me currently....but its been bad here all day. not sure what is going on. None of the prls are really getting me anything fast But I dont expect much out of Verizon any more. I hope cable comes this way soon.
HTH