Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

fearlessfosdick

join:2001-08-22
Stamford, CT

Menus don't fit on screen

Hi,

I'm new to U-Verse so this is probably a simple one.

When I view the U-Verse menus, the left and right sides are cut off. For example, I when I'm searching for a program I see the c,d,g and h but not the a,b,e or f on the alphabet bar.

Using the Shrink feature doesn't help, It changes the size of the picture a bit but not the content. The aspect ratio selector on the TV doesn't work either. This is an HD TV.

What's wrong?

Thanks and Happy New Year to all,

FF

texasguy37
Premium
join:2009-05-18
Grand Prairie, TX
A few questions:

1) How is the U-verse DVR/STB connected to the TV? (HDMI cable, component cables (red, white, blue), composite cables (red, yellow, white) or coaxial cable)

2) On the TV itself, how is the picture set? (Normal, Full, Zoom)

3) What aspect ratio is selected on the U-verse DVR/STB? (4:3 standard definition, Widescreen standard definition, 720p on high-definition screens, 1080i on high-definition screens)

fearlessfosdick

Stamford, CT
Thanks for your help. Please see my answers below

said by texasguy37:

1) How is the U-verse DVR/STB connected to the TV? (HDMI cable, component cables (red, white, blue), composite cables (red, yellow, white) or coaxial cable)
HDMI

said by texasguy37:

2) On the TV itself, how is the picture set? (Normal, Full, Zoom)
I've tried ALL the available aspect ratios but even at 4:3 the picture content (for the left and right sides) isn't there.

said by texasguy37:

3) What aspect ratio is selected on the U-verse DVR/STB? (4:3 standard definition, Widescreen standard definition, 720p on high-definition screens, 1080i on high-definition screens)
Wideshreen 1080i

FF

TheDuck6

join:2003-06-22
Eastlake, OH
reply to fearlessfosdick
On remote go to Menu, scroll to Options, Scroll down to System Options, Scroll to Aspect ratio and select 1080i

texasguy37
Premium
Grand Prairie, TX

1 edit
reply to fearlessfosdick
On the TV menu, set the screen to either "Full" or "Normal". The other settings could create the problems that you see with the menu.

If you are using an HDMI cable and no other cables are connected between the DVR/STB, you should be Ok.

fearlessfosdick

Stamford, CT
reply to fearlessfosdick
Thanks to all for your help.

I think I know what's causing the problem. I'm watching the programming through a Tivo but not a HD Tivo (guess I should have mentioned that b4).

I think the Tivo can't pass the entire screen if the STB is putting out HD.

I'll be testing that theory.

Thanks for your help and sorry to bother you all.

FF

djrobx
Premium
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VOIPO

1 edit
Remove the TiVo from the equation. TiVo works very poorly with U-verse.

It can be made to work, but U-verse boxes power themselves down after a few hours of inactivity. TiVo won't power them back on. The only workaround seems to be to set a bunch of manual recordings to keep U-verse alive.

Even if you had a HD TiVo it wouldn't be compatible with U-verse HD.

You're really MUCH better off using the AT&T DVR as intended, instead of trying to cram a square peg (TiVo) into a round hole (U-verse).
--
AT&T U-Hearse
Your funeral. Delivered.

texasguy37
Premium
Grand Prairie, TX
reply to fearlessfosdick
said by fearlessfosdick:

Thanks to all for your help.

I think I know what's causing the problem. I'm watching the programming through a Tivo but not a HD Tivo (guess I should have mentioned that b4).

I think the Tivo can't pass the entire screen if the STB is putting out HD.

I'll be testing that theory.

Thanks for your help and sorry to bother you all.

FF
I'm a bit confused. Why are you watching the programming through a Tivo?

fearlessfosdick

Stamford, CT
Hi,

I'm trying to find the "best" solution for myself.

Sorry, but this is going to be long winded.

I'm very comfortable with Tivo and have some 60 "season passes". The season passes moved beautifully to U-Verse in that they all found the corresponding channel number and are up and running with no input from me. That was very impressive.

The downside afaics so far is that I can't watch live TV while Tivo is recording something so I have to be careful to only watch recorded stuff at times. But that may be OK since my habit is to watch recorded stuff almost exclusively. That way I can skip commercials and watch an hour show in 40 minutes.

The upside is that I now have two DVR's the Tivo and the U-Verse boxes.

Right now the Tivo is on the "main" PC and the U-Verse DVR is on a somewhat rarely used TV. However, there are some downsides to that setup. The main problem is that I don't get the benefit of HD on the main set.

So what I'm thinking of doing is getting a wireless video sender; putting the U-Verse DVR on the main TV and controlling the Tivo wirelessly from the main setup. I think that would give me the best of both worlds.

If you have any suggestions I'd be very grateful to hear them.

Especially if you can recommend a good wireless sender. I'm thinking about the X10 video transmitter/receiver pair for about $50.

Thanks in advance for your feedback (if you made it this far ).

Happy and Healthy New Year to all,

FF