Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

chunk73
Premium
join:2002-02-22
Fairfield, CT

2wire RG always changing wireless channel

Ok. So I went ahead and ran netstumbler and found the least used non overlapping channel in my house was channel 11, there are far more AP's on channel 1 and channel 6 than on channel 11.

So i went ahead and forced the AP to use channel 11. It worked and stayed on channel 11 for a few days but then magically changed again and is currently on channel 1. Why cant the RG just stay on the channel that we define? I love how underneath the channel definition is a blurb that states "Note: User selected channels may be overwritten automatically to optimize the wireless performance of the gateway"

I could see the gateway changing the channel if it is set to Auto, but if I set it explicitly to channel 11 I want the damn thing to stay on channel 11. What is the point of having a user selectable channel number if the RG can change it to any channel it desires even when its not set to auto.

netboy34
Premium
join:2001-08-29
Kennesaw, GA
kudos:1

Just because there are a lot of AP's on channels 1 and 6 doesn't mean they are closer to you than the ones on channel 11. If you have a couple closer and channel 1's are father, it will use channel 1 since the power will "drown out" the other channel 1's while it would be a battle for channels 6 or 11. Check to see the signal levels to verify who is closer, but most of the time, the auto channel will work the best.

Keoway
Premium
join:2009-08-29
Seneca, SC

1 edit
reply to chunk73

NetStumbler, yes, it can sometimes be one's best friend when assessing what SSIDs/Channels are flying around in one's neighborhood. My apartment complex has several ADSL 2Wire boxes shipping signals around and a growing number of 2Wire VDSL RG's.

In my case, the 2Wire RG [set to "Auto"] automagically chose channel 11^ for its "home" channel and appears to have never strayed from 11, even across a couple reboots of the RG. One neighbor recently switched from ADSL to U-Verse and her RG appears to have opted for Channel 8.

For those with ADSL service, being served up by 2Wire boxes, and those with user-configured wireless AP's, Channel 6 is running amok!

^ Channel 11 is what I had selected when my ADSL network consisted of an Alcatel STH modem and a Netgear 802.11g AP. I used NetStumbler's info and the 802.11 channel separation attributes when selecting 11 for my ADSL environment.

chunk73
Premium
join:2002-02-22
Fairfield, CT

said by Keoway:

NetStumbler, yes, it can sometimes be one's best friend when assessing what SSIDs/Channels are flying around in one's neighborhood. My apartment complex has several ADSL 2Wire boxes shipping signals around and a growing number of 2Wire VDSL RG's.

In my case, the 2Wire RG [set to "Auto"] automagically chose channel 11^ for its "home" channel and appears to have never strayed from 11, even across a couple reboots of the RG. One neighbor recently switched from ADSL to U-Verse and her RG appears to have opted for Channel 8.

For those with ADSL service, being served up by 2Wire boxes, and those with user-configured wireless AP's, Channel 6 is running amok!

^ Channel 11 is what I had selected when my ADSL network consisted of an Alcatel STH modem and a Netgear 802.11g AP. I used NetStumbler's info and the 802.11 channel separation attributes when selecting 11 for my ADSL environment.
Thanks for the info. I have gone ahead and set mine back to Auto. It ended up choosing channel 11 as well. Will see if it stays there.

TheDuck

join:2003-06-22
Eastlake, OH
reply to chunk73

Signal strengths change drastically as atmospheric conditions change. Sometimes I can see 15 2wire modems, other times 1 or 2. The modem constantly monitors the noise levels and switches to the cleanest channel which could change several times in a day as conditions change.