how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

drzoltar

join:2010-01-03
Puyallup, WA

Help accessing us robotics usr5451 WAP after moving it

Main issue: I moved my us robotics usr5451 from a set up where it was attached to a Qwest DSL modem and desktop computer running Vista. It was recently moved to a Zyxel 900 series modem that is not attached to any computer. All wireless machines (except my Wii) can still connect via the WAP to the internet. However, I am now unable to access the WAP to change its settings.

I'll try to make this as short as possible:

Previous config that worked: us robotics usr5451 hooked up to a 4 port hub. Hub was hooked up to a Qwest DSL modem and a desktop machine running Vista. Was able to type in »192.168.0.4 to access the WAP.

New config: us robotics usr5451 hooked up to a 4 port hub. Hub is hooked up to a Zyxel 900 series modem. I attempted to plug an ethernet cable between my laptop and the WAP (using the same ip address of my old config) to access it directly and it didn't work.

I'm at a loss as to what to do. US Robotics tool to detect the WAP isn't working. And since I have mac address filtering set up I now can't add anything new to my network without accessing the WAP. I have been unable to find anything on the web that deals with this scenario.

daveinpoway
Premium
join:2006-07-03
Poway, CA
kudos:2

Have you tried resetting the USR5451 to the factory defaults state? The owner's manual will tell you how to do this.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18
reply to drzoltar

said by drzoltar:

New config: us robotics usr5451 hooked up to a 4 port hub. Hub is hooked up to a Zyxel 900 series modem. I attempted to plug an ethernet cable between my laptop and the WAP (using the same ip address of my old config) to access it directly and it didn't work.
See what your PC shows as the Default Gateway (seen by running the "ipconfig /all" command) IP is after a Release then Renew of your IP Address performed once you are directly connected to the WAP. Use the Default Gateway IP in your Browser to test for connecting to the WAP.

Renew Your IP Address
»www.pctechbytes.com/2009/08/01/r···address/
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

bevills1

join:2006-05-29
reply to drzoltar

Are you sure 192.168.0.4 are the correct numbers to access the WAP? These numbers should match the default gateway that may be determined for verification by running "ipconfig" from a command prompt.

drzoltar

join:2010-01-03
Puyallup, WA

Here's the solution that finally worked:

What changed: I switched from DSL internet service to cable. This involved a slight change to my configuration. It used to go PHONE WALL OUTLET --> DSL MODEM --> 4 PORT HUB -- WAP (and Ethernet cable from HUB to main desktop computer). The new configuration is CABLE WALL OUTLET --> CABLE MODEM --> 4 PORT HUB --> WAP and no connection to any computers since every computer on my network is wireless.

What happened: Well the new set up came with new ip addresses (of course!). I had mine for so long that I didn't remember that my original set up had an "intranet" ip address for the network ID (192.168.x.x) and a separate one for the internet (dynamic). With the new set up, this doesn't seem to be the case. All my machines had individual dynamic ip addresses now.

The problem: Well I can get the ip addresses from any device that has an interface (laptop, desktop, iphone, etc). But how do I get the new ip address for the WAP? I had the MAC address as it's printed on the sticker on the bottom of the WAP. But as I only knew the network ID part of the ip address, how in the world do I find the exact address of the WAP so I can access it?

The solution: This took me a couple of days to find all the right pieces. I tried some short cuts (and some guesses at what the WAP's ip address could be) but done worked. So I found a free program on-line that would scan my network for active ip addresses:Angry IP Scan. Over night I scanned from 131.191.0.0 to 131.191.255.255 and exported those results to a text file. Then, as luck would have it, the program reported the network IDs of all the active addresses. My ISP gives IDs based upon MAC addresses so all I had to look for it under the IDs. I matched up my search result to the ip address as reported and low and behold! I could log into my WAP.