Search similar:

uniqs
rr09
join:2009-12-23

2 edits

rr09

Spikes?

Click for full size
Anyone on turbo ever get spikes like this? (20/2 tier 30mbit powerboost)

My speeds are bad, around 8mbit about 95% of the time. But when they are good, they can get real good. Usually during the last few seconds of the speed tests there will be a boost. 77mbit is the highest I've seen (is that even possible with my modem?), there have been a few 35 - 55mbit ones in the past.

I thought maybe it's because it's a BH speed test but I did another one a few days ago.

I would expect 30mbit to be the absolute cap. Has anyone else seen spikes like these? I wonder if it's possible that the same thing causing my slow speeds is responsible for these speeds?
rr09

rr09

By the way, 4 minutes later... it doesn't last long.

cableguy0
Premium Member
join:2009-01-20

cableguy0 to rr09

Premium Member

to rr09
Which modem model do you use? And do you have a static IP?
rr09
join:2009-12-23

rr09

Scientific Atlanta DPC2100R2, nope
jombo
join:2010-01-18

jombo to rr09

to rr09
I have had turbo for years now in 2 different locations in eastern pasco. I have seen spikes some also. But I was getting nothing like that but I used to see 40mb and more at times even used to see spikes for upstream in the 6mb range.

And until about a month ago I always got between 20mb and 30mb down and right at 2mb up. The last couple months I do well to get 13mb down and 300k to 1mb up. It has went totally useless here in western Zephyrhills. Loses connection sometimes 20 30 times a day. Telephone is useless for over 10 or 15 min calls. It's so bad here I can't even get thru the menu to complain unless I go use a pay phone. I have had them out here 3 or 4 times they keep saying they see no troubles.

I am going to drop it and go back to a dialup soon as I get a phone. In fact I am going to drop all of brighthouse tv and all unless they fix this mess. It is weird man after all these years and they can't fix it. I was just getting ready a month or so ago to move to the lightning till this started. I live on a small road and nobody has any fast internet just rrlite and a couple with the 8mb plan. After 2 years this starts.

The aris modem shows the signal and everything in a good range. it has been changed and never fixed it. Even if I unhook the router and let it set connected it still disconnects and reconnects often.

And they were just here today and changed a bunch of connectors and the splitter. Sometimes it is where it should be for days except for the disconnects and high pings. whatever it is keeps getting worse all the time.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by jombo:

I have had turbo for years now in 2 different locations in eastern pasco. I have seen spikes some also. But I was getting nothing like that but I used to see 40mb and more at times even used to see spikes for upstream in the 6mb range.

And until about a month ago I always got between 20mb and 30mb down and right at 2mb up. The last couple months I do well to get 13mb down and 300k to 1mb up. It has went totally useless here in western Zephyrhills. Loses connection sometimes 20 30 times a day. Telephone is useless for over 10 or 15 min calls. It's so bad here I can't even get thru the menu to complain unless I go use a pay phone. I have had them out here 3 or 4 times they keep saying they see no troubles.

I am going to drop it and go back to a dialup soon as I get a phone. In fact I am going to drop all of brighthouse tv and all unless they fix this mess. It is weird man after all these years and they can't fix it. I was just getting ready a month or so ago to move to the lightning till this started. I live on a small road and nobody has any fast internet just rrlite and a couple with the 8mb plan. After 2 years this starts.

The aris modem shows the signal and everything in a good range. it has been changed and never fixed it. Even if I unhook the router and let it set connected it still disconnects and reconnects often.

And they were just here today and changed a bunch of connectors and the splitter. Sometimes it is where it should be for days except for the disconnects and high pings. whatever it is keeps getting worse all the time.
The problems you are having is not the norm. Unfortunately some problems don't manifest themselves on a consistent basis and detection and resolution can be difficult. My first question is...hows it going now since your last tech visit?
jombo
join:2010-01-18

1 edit

jombo to rr09

to rr09
Well it is much better. Seems they improved somewhere. For weeks I been seeing very very high pings running pingplotter and the high pings were about the second or third brighthouse router. I mean they were terrible high over 200 for hours at a time. They are back down under 12 now but they should be lower i would think.

Anyways im better i'm really good now on rr test in tampa and pretty good on the internet also. Better than anytime in last 30 days. I'm pretty happy again now.

Download Speed: 31643 kbps (3955.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 1683 kbps (210.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
That is Chicago Speakeasy test.
Download Speed: 31011 kbps (3876.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 1799 kbps (224.9 KB/sec transfer rate
That is Dallas.
And modem says
Downstream
Freq/Power: 645.000 MHz -3 dBmV
Signal to Noise Ratio: 36 dB
and
Upstream
Freq/Power: 24.200 MHz 46 dBmV

And download is where it was always at before trouble started. And upload is still less but man it don't chop and lag no more. So I'm better. And that is no spike it's pretty much all day like that. So here is hoping it stays and if it does hats off to brighthouse cause I have the service back I have had for 5 years or so. And my ping to download.com is at 39ms it was like 100ms for weeks there.
And the most important thing the disconnects seem gone haven't seen a disc since early tuesday morning.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

2 edits

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by jombo:

Well it is much better. Seems they improved somewhere. For weeks I been seeing very very high pings running pingplotter and the high pings were about the second or third brighthouse router. I mean they were terrible high over 200 for hours at a time. They are back down under 12 now but they should be lower i would think.

Anyways im better i'm really good now on rr test in tampa and pretty good on the internet also. Better than anytime in last 30 days. I'm pretty happy again now.

Download Speed: 31643 kbps (3955.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 1683 kbps (210.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
That is Chicago Speakeasy test.
Download Speed: 31011 kbps (3876.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 1799 kbps (224.9 KB/sec transfer rate
That is Dallas.
And modem says
Downstream
Freq/Power: 645.000 MHz -3 dBmV
Signal to Noise Ratio: 36 dB
and
Upstream
Freq/Power: 24.200 MHz 46 dBmV

And download is where it was always at before trouble started. And upload is still less but man it don't chop and lag no more. So I'm better. And that is no spike it's pretty much all day like that. So here is hoping it stays and if it does hats off to brighthouse cause I have the service back I have had for 5 years or so. And my ping to download.com is at 39ms it was like 100ms for weeks there.
And the most important thing the disconnects seem gone haven't seen a disc since early tuesday morning.
Based upon your post above you are attempting to hold Bright House responsible for network conditons and testing not on their network. Speakeasy while very reliable for testing 20mbps and under fails miserably as do many others above those rates and almost never delivers you consistent results. Part of it due to the type of testing they perform being http based.

This is where you need to start before you do any offnet speed testing. And do it in this order:

Test OnNet : »speedtest.tampabay.rr.com

If your results are within 92% of your advertised cap then you are golden from a local hardware/network perspective. This means that anything you may be experiencing is offnet and your provider has only minimal control (at least for now).

Then select one of the known two very good high speed test sites. I'm not going to plug either of the two because I own one of them. Look around here for the posts discussing them and you will find them. I'll be honest with you, besides the onnet I posted above and the other two there are NO other decent high speed tests out there and that includes this site (dslr speed tests are a combination of several different providers and none of them produce consistently reliable results above 15-20mbps).

With that said understand a few things. Speed is only one small portion of the equation. You may have all the burst speed in the world but if the quality of the data stream from your content provider (meaning website) to your home is poor you won't have a good experience no matter what your speed is.

Quality is determined by a number of factors (at least in the testing I offer). I see people all the time with great 60mbps but their QoS is in the 30% range which is very poor. And yes...while they may have an effective datarate of 60mbps they can't stream worth a damn. A run of the mill speedtest will not tell you these things or how to fix them and in most cases the fix is out of your ISP's realm of responsibility unless its on their network which is rare. Yea I said it...rare. Contrary to popular forum myth and legend no ISP wants there to problems on their network. They are afterall in the business of delivering data. This is their product. If the product sucks then they won't be in business long. The problem is that most people blame their ISP for things that have absolutely nothing to do with their ISP. You can thank the countless number of blowhard keyboard jockeys out there who wouldn't know a NOC from their local burgerking for this.

As for your spikes...spikes are normal especially with offnet data sources just like the ones you reference above. Why on earth would you ping download.com? It's an extremely high traffic site and ping times are going to spike just because of the nature of traffic going to and from that site and network congestion. Holding Bright House responsible for those ping times is like holding the innocent victim in a carjacking responsible for their car being stolen...why would you do that? They have nothing to do with download.com or the well known network congestion that results from daily traffic to that site