spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

dpkform

join:2003-04-13
Toronto, ON

Max over charges DOUBLING to $50 in March for all tiers!!!

Yup that's right.

After 4 years away from Rogers, I have been back as a customer for less than two weeks. After seeing some unclear information on their website, that made it look like only the lower tiers had the $25 cap, I called to confirm.

The first person I spoke to told me that no, it was $50! What, I exclaimed? Pass me on to cancellations.

The person in the cancellation department confirmed that current overage charges are max $25 per month, but that in March, that cap will be raised to $50 per month for all tiers !!!!

Bye Rogers....

Or perhaps - this may be a good time to sign a contract, as I believe courts have held (at least in the USA) that a major change like this, DESPITE any legalese to the contrary, is a major breach of a contract.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Wow, that's steep. I hope that's just a rumor.
--
GO LEAFS GO!

dpkform

join:2003-04-13
Toronto, ON
I doubt it is a "rumour". Two different people from two different departments, both came to the same conclusion, after I insisted they double check their statement. Grrrrrrr.

said by HiVolt:

Wow, that's steep. I hope that's just a rumor.

Robrr

join:2008-04-19
Guelph, ON
reply to dpkform
All I can say is thank god I'm not a Rogers customer.

metalhawk

join:2007-02-06
Nepean, ON

1 edit
reply to dpkform
Holy crap, I never saw that one coming...

... yeah, right. That's typical Rogers gouging.

ablatt

join:2001-08-03
Toronto, ON

2 edits
reply to dpkform
Maybe now my nightly congestion will be fixed!

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada
kudos:1
reply to dpkform
The FAQ still lists $25 as the max overcharge, but then the FAQ also doesn't list the Ultimate tier....

»www.hispeed.rogers.com/bband/con···q.html#9

mlerner
Premium
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON
kudos:5
reply to dpkform
That's BS if true. $50 is just more profit for Rogers.

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
reply to dpkform
said by dpkform:

I doubt it is a "rumour". Two different people from two different departments, both came to the same conclusion, after I insisted they double check their statement. Grrrrrrr.
Both the telcos and cablecos want to shed their higher-usage subscribers or at the very least make them more profitable. Since so many subscribers choose to hit the overage cap instead of moderating their usage, upgrading to more expensive plans or going somewhere else, they are compensating for their initial strategy's misfire by making "cheap unlimited" more expensive.

Now that both Bell-land cablecos have bumped their overage cap to $50/month, it should be only a matter of time before Bell bumps theirs too.

sbrook
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa
kudos:13
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·WIND Mobile
reply to dpkform
I can understand Rogers logic bumping the overage cap ... because so many people treat the $25 as a low enough amount to pay for the right to go "unlimited". Beyond a doubt, it's another money grab, but at the same time, an additional $50 for unlimited is going to make a lot of people think twice.

The days of affordable unlimited are gone. Bell is just around the corner with their attempts at UBB. The CRTC told Bell (and therefore all ISPs) that they should manage congestion by these means in order of preference ...

1) increasing capacity
2) non-technical inducement to lower bandwidth (i.e. like this with pricing excess usage out of the ballpark)
3) technical mechanisms for bandwidth reduction (i.e. throttling)

Bell has plans that suggest two different overage tiers that will apply to both their own and wholesalers customers.

Rogers appears to be bumping the max charge.

In the interests of being competitive, you can be sure that Bell will follow suit.

boink9999

@rogers.com
reply to dpkform
no surprise, as soon as people abused it and just figured paying 25$ overage all the time as a way of getting unlimited, you knew this would happen.

so if you want to know why it's going that way, you have those people to thank.

mlerner
Premium
Nepean, ON
Well it's like offering $10 for an all you can eat buffet. If you put a limit on plates but then only charge a $5 max overage, do you really think people aren't going to pay the extra $5.

sbrook
Premium,Mod
Ottawa
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·WIND Mobile
reply to boink9999
I wouldn't call it "abused" since Rogers didn't say that you weren't allowed to use the excess billing like that.

I'd call it "took advantage of what Rogers offered" ...

I blame Rogers for continuing to not make clear their intentions.

If they WANT less usage then apply caps and reduce the connection speed to one that makes in not conducive to continuing to download gobs of data. The fact that they don't do things like that gives the impression that they only want the money ... so people took advantage of what Rogers offered. Can't blame them.

mlerner
Premium
Nepean, ON
reply to dpkform
Exactly. Make it clear and simple for your customers. Of course all big corporations in Canada don't think like that.

RogersMary

join:2009-11-16
reply to dpkform
Hi Everyone. This is Mary with Rogers. I appreciate everyone's voicing their concerns and suggestions. Let me try to add to this conversation by helping clarify the situation.

We always want to offer our customers great quality of service for the best value. In the last year, we have made network and technology investments that include improvements in download speeds, expanding our network in other parts of Canada and launching Rogers On Demand Online free to all customers that subscribe to any Rogers product.

In terms of pricing, we have reduced higher tier services such as Extreme Plus ($69.99 from $99.95) and Ultimate ($99.99 from $149.99).

Based on our research, the vast majority (90%) of Rogers Internet customers do not go over their usage limits each month and will not be impacted by changes to overage charges. If you do, I would suggest calling Care to discuss which plan best suits your Internet use.

To help monitor usage, we have put various communication tools in place. When you reach 75% and 100% of usage, you will get notification via your browser or email. As well, you can keep track of usage throughout the month on our online portal.

I hope this helps address some of your comments above.
Thanks,

Mary
Htttp://www.twitter.com/rogersmary

KPaul

join:2007-02-08
reply to dpkform
There is no point to discuss when you download more than what plans are offered...........

roger is and will always be a sack of shit for taking money away from their customers... profits anyone?

justsomeguy8

join:2007-10-08
N5M3Z3
you make profit sound like its a bad thing.

KPaul

Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to dpkform
It's a bad thing when the people giving up their money don't have enough of it to afford increases like this... or upgrading packages...

I can't go back to teksavvy (dial up speeds for some reason), and I don't know of any alternatives in cable that service my area. So as a customer, with two people using the connection, it sucks in that I will now pay an extra $300 a year to maintain "unlimited" internet when it isn't even offered as a package.
--
I hate rogers and their CRAP tech. support... But, MAJOR kudos to the TekSavvy team!

Al Bundy - "Six bucks is too much money to spend on any woman." it's too true sometimes

mlerner
Premium
Nepean, ON

1 edit
reply to RogersMary
That's all well and good Mary but after several price increases which I say are in the level of once every 6 months or so and trying to offer more speed which frankly 90% of customers also don't need, I don't think this price increase can be justified.

All I want and need is 10 megs and 200 GB cap and not for $99/month. You should be offering more flexible pricing similar to wireless data pricing. So let's say Express for $45 and 100 GB for $20. Even if I wanted to I can't get this "Ultimate" tier because the technology has not been deployed in Ottawa so again I say it's more convenient for the customer to have the option to buy bandwidth blocks. I also again don't need 50 mbps or whatever it is because I don't need more speed.

I am almost positive had you run a study of tiered pricing and asked whether the customer would prefer more speed or more bandwidth they would not always choose speed when you get into the higher tiers.

The other factor is, internet trends change constantly. Who knows if a month from now average usage climbs up another 10 GB and you guys aren't always on top that. I would also question whether the usage limits are necessary, you advertise limits but then place a max overage cap. If they were really required then you would slow down the speed or charge more in usage blocks.

So again, your plans don't work for me and many other people I have spoken with and they are not very flexible.
--
Michael Lerner
Self-proclaimed Canadian Broadband activist
Check out my new blog - stateofthenet.ca

NOTE: If i made a typo, it is purely the fault of my Apple keyboard.

sbrook
Premium,Mod
Ottawa
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·WIND Mobile

2 recommendations

reply to RogersMary
I know that you mean well there RogersMary, but you know this is a boilerplate response and I received astonishingly similar mails from Rogers about 7 years ago saying the same kind of things when there was a plan to implement 5GB per month caps. Strange how the protests by RBUA and others fell upon deaf ears but when Bell implemented their own caps, Rogers suddenly forgot about caps relishing the wave of high usage customers migrating from Bell Sympatico to Rogers!

These kinds of responses are frustrating because it shows that Rogers is not listening to their customers. They aren't even listening to the concerns expressed here when they provide boiler plate answers which skirt over the issues.

OK, so the vast majority of users don't go over the package usage caps. The question is "what is Rogers going to do FOR users who find the plan limits insufficient?" Instead Rogers tells us how they're going to PUNISH those who go over with ridiculously high per GB rates and then ameliorates that pain with a maximum overcharge limit, which it sounds like they're about to increase.

You talk about speed increases and rate reductions. What happened to the users in the Extreme tier. They got negligible speed improvements to the point where Express and Extreme downstream are identical. And the price of Extreme went up and up. Personally I dropped off Extreme because I needed to reduce my cable bill since I have to deal with high medication bills now for my wife and me and worse, you terminated the 15% VIP discount and forced me into 10% and locked me in for 2 years.

All these nice sounding words in the boiler plate letters just leave people angry that instead of doing things for their customers, Rogers PR are dreaming up soothing sounding words to pour oil on trouble waters.

Your post doesn't cut the mustard, never mind the meat.

we are next

@cgocable.net
reply to dpkform
snuggles up to his Cogeco modem and whispers sweet nothings to it.

FZero68
Premium
join:2004-01-22
Thornhill ON
reply to dpkform
Well back to Teksavvy I go, I can't justify paying over $100 vs. $30 regardless of the speed. What's the rogers cancellation procedure nowadays? 30 days notice?

static416

join:2007-01-26
Toronto, ON
reply to mlerner
said by mlerner:

Exactly. Make it clear and simple for your customers. Of course all big corporations in Canada don't think like that.
They don't have to. It's getting to the point where there are no reasonable alternatives to Rogers. Even Bell can't compete in my area when it comes to 25mbit and 50 mbit connections.

I read in one of the recent global ISP surveys that Canada is one of only 3 of the top 30 countries with caps (even if they're economic) on internet usage. How is it that the rest of the world seems to get along just fine without these restrictions?

Until the government or the CRTC step in and open the infrastructure to real competition, we'll continue to be taken advantage of.

And Mary, I do appreciate the input and courage to wade into this. However, if Teksavvy can handle a few people downloading over a 1TB for $30 a month, I think Rogers can afford me getting more than 125GB for $90. Especially when you own all the infrastructure yourselves, it's been there for decades, and bandwidth is so cheap almost it's free for you.

The increase in overage charges is not directly about cost to Rogers for bandwidth. It's an attempt to push high usage customers into more expensive tiers.

Furthermore, coupled with throttling, it also controls customer behavior (keep buying TV), while ensuring that usage levels are consistent and predictable.

Why do you think the 50mbit package requires a TV subscription? Because they don't want you getting it for free over the internet on your fancy new connection.

mlerner
Premium
Nepean, ON
reply to FZero68
Thank you sbrook. Thought for a second there I was the only one.

FZero I so wish I could go to TekSavvy but being the lines in the area are not up to par my only choice is Rogers and yes it's 30 days. Make sure you tell them why you're cancelling.

joshb
Don't sweat the small stuff.
Premium
join:2006-03-04
Calgary, AB
reply to sbrook
Hey Sbrook,

There is no point wasting key Strokes on her. We both know what the end fate of her is most likely going to be.

Regards

Joshb
--
Middle Age: The time between I don't care and medicare

FZero68
Premium
Thornhill ON

1 edit
reply to mlerner
said by mlerner:

Thank you sbrook. Thought for a second there I was the only one.

FZero I so wish I could go to TekSavvy but being the lines in the area are not up to par my only choice is Rogers and yes it's 30 days. Make sure you tell them why you're cancelling.
The line in my area is good but I'm on an IKNS remote and was getting frequent disconnects randomly that would happen and go away for weeks. I guess I'm better off trying to figure out the issue than over paying $70/mo. I'm sure with the savings I can get my line fixed. So is this increase official?

mlerner
Premium
Nepean, ON
reply to joshb
True but we can't let marketing and PR get the last word especially since when presented with this information, NO ONE is in favour of more price increases in any scenario.

mlerner
Premium
Nepean, ON
reply to FZero68
said by FZero68:

The line in my area is good but I'm on an IKNS remote and was getting frequent disconnects randomly that would happen and go away for weeks. I guess I'm better off trying to figure out the issue than over paying $70/mo. I'm sure with the savings I can get my line fixed. So is this increase official?
That sounds odd, the capacity issue with the IKNS remotes doesn't cause disconnections but in any case you are much better off fixing that then paying more for this crap. Mary also didn't deny it so the price increase looks official.
--
Michael Lerner
Self-proclaimed Canadian Broadband activist
Check out my new blog - stateofthenet.ca

NOTE: If i made a typo, it is purely the fault of my Apple keyboard.

FZero68
Premium
Thornhill ON
I know but they are flaky remotes and I tried to figure out why I was getting disconnects when my line stats were fantastic, I even had someone come out and it was inconclusive. But now at least there is a reason to really look into it.

KPaul

Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to dpkform
No one is in favour of it, but, there is no way of stopping it either. Rogers heavy hitters end up leaving, and that makes them more profit as it gets rid of that usage, and those who may go over a bit the $25 get charged more. It's a win win for them, and they do NOT listen to customers, here, twitter, facebook, through phone calls, whatever. Rogers is evil. That's all that her message shares, that's all that the company does, that's all that corporate can do.
--
I hate rogers and their CRAP tech. support... But, MAJOR kudos to the TekSavvy team!

Al Bundy - "Six bucks is too much money to spend on any woman." it's too true sometimes