spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Net Citizen
join:2009-01-22
Schenectady, NY

Net Citizen to RogersMary

to RogersMary

Re: Max over charges DOUBLING to $50 in March for all tiers!!!

What I find comical about this situation is that RogersMary hasn't posted since last month.

I'm going to guess that she was delegated by someone to work with the community here at DSL reports.

Seeing this to be a fantastic opportunity to prove her worth at her new post at Rogers, Mary jumps in, only to find a sophisticated user base ready to pounce at the first instance of her boilerplate post.

I wonder if the higher-up at Rogers who gave her the job of sticking her neck out for the dslReports.com sharks chuckled softly to him/herself while muttering, "Sucker".

Sucker indeed.

BACONATOR26
Premium Member
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON

BACONATOR26

Premium Member

I don't think she was given a specific agenda. I think she was just extending her social media activities. i.e. trying to downplay the negativity. Indeed I think it went way over her head. As savvy users, we don't listen to marketing speak and unfortunately that encompasses very few customers.
Robrr
join:2008-04-19

Robrr

Thats because most of us savvy customers are with other ISP's where available.

It is too bad though that Rogers doesn't dedicate someone here to this forum to work with people. I'm sure once we all finished blasting the Rogers employee for what his/her employer does we could get down to a constructive conversation.

Stewy6
Premium Member
join:2007-12-12
Kitchener, ON

Stewy6

Premium Member

said by Robrr:

Thats because most of us savvy customers are with other ISP's where available.
A companies worst nightmare is an intelligent knowledgeable and well informed customer and this forum is loaded so do you think you'll see rogers here.... c'mon.
trevorz
join:2010-03-02
Toronto, ON

1 edit

trevorz to dpkform

to dpkform
I'm a average to heavy user (with rogers on Express), I monitor my use like a hawk and I reach my monthly 60gig cap every month. Ideally I was hoping for a service like netflix to come to canada for the ps3. With these caps I think services like Netflix would do poorly

BACONATOR26
Premium Member
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON

BACONATOR26

Premium Member

Partly because of the caps, there are no companies like Netflix at the moment willing to enter the Canadian market. It's sad really. iTunes I find is a poor substitute. For the moment until ISPs stop trying to cripple the net and companies like Netflix come in I will continue to pirate.
trevorz
join:2010-03-02
Toronto, ON

trevorz

Oh I totally agree! I had cable tv and when Rogers introduced ROD online I was kinda stoked but caps kinda defeat this service. Until a suitable alternative such as Netflix comes to Canada, along with usable caps or none, I will continue to use newsgroups.
static416
join:2007-01-26
Toronto, ON

static416 to BACONATOR26

to BACONATOR26
said by BACONATOR26:

I don't think she was given a specific agenda. I think she was just extending her social media activities. i.e. trying to downplay the negativity. Indeed I think it went way over her head. As savvy users, we don't listen to marketing speak and unfortunately that encompasses very few customers.
Agreed. The fact is that many of the people here are more knowledgeable than Roger CSRs, let alone their marketing staff.

I actually feel bad for her, she didn't know what she was getting into and there is no way she can win the argument or do anything to change the situation.

She's probably just an employee of an advertising company contracted to handle "social media". I doubt she has any real ability to affect the sort of policy changes we'd like. It's not surprising she didn't return, it's a no-win situation for her.
static416

static416 to Stewy6

to Stewy6
said by Stewy6:

said by dpkform:

Bandwidth cap compared to Robbers starts at 75GB/month vs 125GB. But like a cell phone package you can in advance purchase as many extra 40GB chunks as you like for $5 per 40GB. Bell charges only $53 month for their 25/7 package so add $15 for an extra 120GB per month, and they are still cheaper than Robbers $70 25MBs/1Mbs laughable offering, but you get 205 GB monthly bandwith vs Rogers ultra paltry 125 GB. For only $15 more, instead of $50 you get unlimited bandwidth.
Yea that's a kick in the nads for rogers for sure, they can't compete with that upload for sure and pricing seems to be better.

Funny though how Bell has no problems selling that extra bandwidth in the midst of all that network congestion.

Competition fixes all sorts of problems doesn't it.
This is kind of attractive to me actually, I need more upload. Do you have to sign a contract with Bell to get service?
dpkform
join:2003-04-13
Toronto, ON

1 edit

dpkform

said by static416 :

This is kind of attractive to me actually, I need more upload. Do you have to sign a contract with Bell to get service?
no contract required, they waived the sign-up and activation fees as well

ReformCRTC
Support Your Independent ISP
join:2004-03-07
Canada

ReformCRTC

If they don't have caps, they throttle. If they don't throttle, they have caps.

Wait for VDSL Wholesale or equivalent. And pick a real provider.
static416
Toronto, ON

static416

said by ReformCRTC:

Wait for VDSL Wholesale or equivalent. And pick a real provider.
Will we all get unicorns to ride around on too when this miracle happens?

Cause the way things are going now, there is almost no chance of this happening in Ontario in the foreseeable future.

Unless you have some information that I don't have. Which is very possible.
static416

static416 to ReformCRTC

to ReformCRTC
Apparently you also made a unicorn-themed joke elsewhere. And now it looks like I copied you.

That'll teach me to check the Rogers forum before the Teksavvy forum.

Stewy6
Premium Member
Kitchener, ON

Stewy6 to static416

Premium Member

to static416
said by static416:

Cause the way things are going now, there is almost no chance of this happening in Ontario in the foreseeable future.

It's happening now.

»Hooked up early to Yak KW promotion

»Speedtest.net vs Newsgroup speeds

»www.yak.ca/exclusive/

»www.yak.ca/yak-communica ··· rovider/

Globalive Communications Corp., announced that it has moved all of its residential high speed Internet customers onto its own business grade top level hierarchical internet network, marking a complete departure from Yak’s previous resale model. Moving away from the resale model will allow Yak to ensure even higher levels of service to our customers, said Nisha Amin, Director of Marketing at Globalive. It will also enable Yak to provide even more value added features through Yak High Speed Internet in the coming months, while still offering extremely competitive pricing. It's customers will now also be able to take advantage of our connections to multiple top tier Internet providers directly from Yak's Internet backbone; said Rishi Bahall, Director of Network Engineering at Globalive

ReformCRTC
Canada

1 edit

ReformCRTC to static416

to static416
Yes, I of the candy-crapping multi-coloured sparkling horn unicorn vintage!

Because I'm a former Robbers robbee, I haunt this forum too.
ReformCRTC

ReformCRTC to Stewy6

to Stewy6
Yeah I heard about stuff happening. Thanks Stewy for collecting all that together.
static416
Toronto, ON

static416 to Stewy6

to Stewy6
said by Stewy6:

said by static416:

It's happening now.
Well you just made me pee my pants with glee. That is goddamn awesome.

This also explains why Telus, Bell, and Rogers are pushing the government now to define their foreign ownership position.

I wondered why the Liberals are suddenly all over this foreign ownership thing despite WIND already having passed through. They must be getting pushed (bribed) by the incumbents to make a big deal about this. Cause if Orascom is actually moving into the DSLAM business, there could be some serious telecom competition in Canada for the first time in.... ever really.

ReformCRTC
Canada

1 edit

ReformCRTC

Yeah, this is ground breaking. I didn't have a clue that Orascom was getting into DSL/ADSL2+.

Tony Clement's decision to override the CRTC was bigger than I thought.

Also, in this thread,

»Bell applies for GAS/HSA price increase

andyb makes mention of the CRTC apps by Bell, and while I was there I found this:

docs-1362371-TN 7239 - APP - Bell Canada - Attachment.DOC

and that makes mention of a Bell "ULTRA UNLIMITED" internet offering.
static416
Toronto, ON

static416 to ReformCRTC

to ReformCRTC
said by ReformCRTC:

Yeah I heard about stuff happening. Thanks Stewy for collecting all that together.
Well I was going to shift from the Rogers-rape to the Bell-rape. But if it's possible I could soon get a non-rape-related ISP.... well then I am willing to wait a little longer.

Of course you realize that as soon as unrestricted Yak or Teksavvy VDSL/cable is available in a major urban center, Rogers and Bell will be switching off the throttle and dumping the caps mighty fast. Being as they were just artificial restrictions to begin with, they can easily turn them off without any problems or any real loss in revenue.

We may have an old fashioned horse race on our hands soon. Actual competition.

Or candy-crapping multi-coloured sparkling horn unicorn race if you will.

ReformCRTC
Canada

3 edits

ReformCRTC

docs-1362371···.DOC.zip
13,271 bytes
Bell's ULTRA UNLIMITED offering?
It may already have begun.

Having said that, I'll stick with TekSavvy. I have a sneaky feeling they're about to launch something this year, and it ain't "Fibe" either.

Teksavvy don't do rape-related. Unless some Bell execs and Georges Laroque were in the same room together...
static416
Toronto, ON

static416

said by ReformCRTC:

Hmm. Ominous. But what am I looking at here?
static416

static416 to ReformCRTC

to ReformCRTC
said by ReformCRTC:

Having said that, I'll stick with TekSavvy. I have a sneaky feeling they're about to launch something this year, and it ain't "Fibe" either.
OOOhh I got it. Ultra Unlimited. Nice catch.

That would be excellent. But I'd still get away from the incumbents if it was even remotely possible.

ReformCRTC
Canada

ReformCRTC to static416

to static416
In the rate charts on that attachment, Bell makes reference to an "ULTRA UNLIMITED" internet offering. They don't offer anything unlimited now, to the best of my knowledge.

It was in the package of crap they submitted to the CRTC during the Olympics, on Feb. 19th, parts of which are to take effect on March 22nd. While everybody was jumping up and down having orgasms over this Fibe nonsense on the commercials.
RogersMary
join:2009-11-16

RogersMary to Net Citizen

to Net Citizen
Hi Everyone - Yes, it's me again I can't turn down an opportunity to jump in when I see you talking about me.

I haven't posted because I didn't see an opportunity to add to the conversation but I certainly have been reading and providing your feedback to our team. You definitely are a sophisticated user group so I think the most value I can add is to listen to what you have to say, which I do.

I'm fairly new to the world of forums so - as many of you know - it takes awhile to learn how to navigate and become part of the community. I'm totally open to hearing your feedback and advice.

I'm not here to only have the conversation go one way so I do apologize if that's how it appeared. To me, this is a learning opportunity and a chance to hear what you think.

If you have a specific question or issue you need assistance with, I can help. If you have feedback you want me to share internally, I can do that as well.

Am I going in the right direction?
Robrr
join:2008-04-19

Robrr

Glad to see you are here reading what people have to say RogersMary

Hopefully some of the feedback you are giving your team is being used in constructive methods as I know we would all like to see things improve with regards to Canadian broadband.

Stewy6
Premium Member
Kitchener, ON

Stewy6 to static416

Premium Member

to static416
said by static416:

Rogers and Bell will be switching off the throttle and dumping the caps mighty fast.
Yea that's because they are about to clear that *cough* network congestion because everyone will be jumping ship to Yak/Globalive internet.

LOL Faster, Unthrottled, Uncapped, no UBB, no contract internet + Home Phone for less than Rogers Extreme.

I sure as hell know what direction I'll be heading in.
morpheus69
join:2006-04-17
canada

morpheus69

will be more of the same, like the Yak -- Usage based billing... nice... what a shitty trend.

Stewy6
Premium Member
Kitchener, ON

Stewy6

Premium Member

Click for full size
said by morpheus69:

will be more of the same, like the Yak -- Usage based billing... nice... what a shitty trend.
It was some sort of typo or mistake.
There's no UBB with Yak Internet.

»www.yak.ca/high-speed-internet/
»www.yak.ca/product/yak-p ··· overview
a6why
join:2006-07-21
canada

a6why to dpkform

to dpkform
Is YAK operational yet?? I've never even heard of them, but that's because I visit dslreports once a month or so. Are they equivalent to internet as Wind is to cell phones? I looked at their internet plan and drooled. Please fill me in!!

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

Yak were famous for their "dial-around" long distance service "10-15-945" and gradually included other telecoms services including 1+ LD service and cell LD services. They've since moved into Internet. They're owned by the same company that owns Wind Mobile.