spc
Search similar:

uniqs
zamac_man
join:2004-01-25
Hattiesburg, MS

zamac_man

[cable] Splitter = flashing send light

I have moved my cable modem to a room with my ps3 so I can have a wired connection. I am using the same cable that goes to my tv, through a splitter. When I do this, the send light starts flashing on the modem, unless I disconnect the tv side or run it through two splitters.

I got some info on another board and it seems like my modem or tv is sending back something that interferes with the modem. This is a new two way splitter and coaxial cable from monoprice. If I get a "high pass filter" would this fix the problem.

The sales page says "Prevents TV interference from cable-modem output signals"

McSummation
Mmmm, Zeebas Are Tastee.
Premium Member
join:2003-08-13
Fort Worth, TX

McSummation

Premium Member

How about posting a link to the monoprice page for the splitter.
zamac_man
Hattiesburg, MS

zamac_man

»www.monoprice.com/produc ··· format=2

I bought a high pass filter. If that does not fix it, I will have to look into changing my cable. I don't know how many splitters there are before this one, but it is probably 2.

McSummation
Mmmm, Zeebas Are Tastee.
Premium Member
join:2003-08-13
Fort Worth, TX

McSummation

Premium Member

That splitter looks like it should work.

Your statement about running it through 2 splitters is curious. Each splitter causes signal loss.

The general guideline for wiring cable is that the modem should come off the first splitter.
zamac_man
Hattiesburg, MS

zamac_man

The double splitter thing confuses me too. My tv connection goes down, but the internet works okay like that. However, if I run splitter to splitter then modem, the modem does not work. It has to be splitter then modem. Probably confused everyone with that statement.

However, I am now looking into my downstream power level. I have read online it should be 15 to -15, closer to 0 is better. Mine is -17.5 dBmV to -18.6

Could this cause the problem? I don't know how many splitters that are used, but it is probably 2 before this one. I don't want to mess with the coaxial and splitters unless this could fix it. Getting dirty in a cramped space is not my favorite thing to do.
switchman
join:1999-11-06

switchman to zamac_man

to zamac_man
Try a 1 ghz splitter, I have read in the past that the 2ghz splitter can cause you problems.