spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

musicfann

join:2009-01-05
Miller Place, NY

Can CABLEVISION customers "buy" their own cable boxes ?

Several years, back, I recall...very faintly...that CABLEVISION was exempt from allowing it's customers, to buy their own cable "boxes".

I believe, the exemption was "grandfathered", a number of years, but my memory tells me, that it was to last, for three (3) years.

Was I halucinating, or "what" are the facts ?

CAN Cablevision customers, buy their own boxes ?

mws192

join:2007-09-11

1 edit
Sure, as long as it's a third party cable card operated box like a TIVO or Moxi DVR. You cannot buy the same SA boxes CV deploys and have it authorized.

musicfann

join:2009-01-05
Miller Place, NY
reply to musicfann
said by musicfann:

Several years, back, I recall...very faintly...that CABLEVISION was exempt from allowing it's customers, to buy their own cable "boxes".

I believe, the exemption was "grandfathered", a number of years, but my memory tells me, that it was to last, for three (3) years.

Was I halucinating, or "what" are the facts ?

CAN Cablevision customers, buy their own boxes ?
DOOOOh !

Oh well, that figures.

xirian
Premium
join:2003-01-26
Beacon, NY
kudos:1
reply to musicfann
You can not buy the boxes, they aren't sold to anyone but cable cos. Any that you find for sale are stolen. You can buy a cablecard dvr but they're really expensive (moxi) or slightly expensive with a high monthly fee (tivo hd).

jack88

@optonline.net
said by xirian:

You can not buy the boxes, they aren't sold to anyone but cable cos. Any that you find for sale are stolen. You can buy a cablecard dvr but they're really expensive (moxi) or slightly expensive with a high monthly fee (tivo hd).
not stolen, "not returned" and you will pay for it, you can't steal a cable box, they make you pay for it. that is in the TOS i believe. still, they won't authorize it..