share rss forum feed

Logan 5
Enjoying the Cataclysm
Premium,MVM
join:2001-05-25
Austin, TX
kudos:7

2 edits

How long does it take an exposed tooth nerve to die?

Stupid me, I cracked a tooth in half over the holidays on some hard candy and while newly employed am still a few months away from getting dental bennies. I'm getting slowly caught back up as far as bills and stuff so right now there's no 'extra' $$$ for a dental visit.

The tooth's not really salvageable w/o a root canal & capping it with a porcelain cap (wayyyy too expen$ive), it's more like a hole in my upper jaw then anything else but man does it make me uncomfortable when it decides to throb.. Very rarely does it actually hurt so guess I'm lucky I have a pretty high pain threshold..

I wanna know how how long it may take before an exposed tooth nerve will die, or barring that are there any ways one can go about speeding up it's demise...?

ty in advance to all who reply..

nonymous
Premium
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ

Just see a dentist. Is there a dental school near you?
If it is not a front tooth you may decide to have it pulled anyways. Problem is if it is cracked a dentist may need to do it to get it out in one piece.
Some dentist take payments also.

Expand your moderator at work

rfhar
The World Sport, Played In Every Country
Premium
join:2001-03-26
Buicktown,Mi
reply to Logan 5

Re: How long does it take an exposed tooth nerve to die?

Some dentists have an arrangement with a credit card company that will give you a card that is interest free for the first year. Ask.

jjoshua
Premium
join:2001-06-01
Scotch Plains, NJ
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to Logan 5

Wait for it to get infected. That will cost less to fix and will hurt less too.

Spensergig
Past my Prime
Premium,MVM
join:2000-03-26
Bradenton, FL
reply to Logan 5

Probably longer than you can stand the pain.

As others have said - see a dentist.
Discuss costs with him/her. You may be surprised at what they'll do.

Check your local area for a dental school - they always need subjects for practise, and the students are thoroughly supervised.

sapo
Cruising Down Memory Lane
Premium
join:2002-09-16
Sacramento, CA
kudos:1
reply to Logan 5

I would suggest credit for something like this. Your health is worth it.
--
Simbaaaaa...

runnoft
Premium
join:2003-10-14
Nags Head, NC
reply to Logan 5

OP Logan's not looking for reduced or no interest on his payments to the dentist... he's looking for insurance coverage which doesn't kick in for another few months.

Logan, the problem for you is, as others have pointed out, if you wait too long, and yes, a few months may be too long, you run the risk of complications including an abscess or other infection issues--very painful and potentially expensive-- or yes, a dead nerve which may mean you need a very expensive implant for which you can only get partial insurance coverage at best. As far as your goal is concerned, this is now a pre-existing condition which dental insurance will probably try to avoid covering if you disclose the fact that it happened before coverage started. And a dentist may know it happened before coverage started even if you tell the dentist it just happened. So there may be no benefit in terms of your goal but increased risk to waiting.

I too think you should talk to a dentist who can see what's going on.

nonymous
Premium
Glendale, AZ

3 edits
reply to Logan 5

Some insurance does cover pre existing. Some does not. However, waiting three months with a badly cracked tooth has zero chance of looking like it just happened.
If you are already thinking root canal it must be a bad crack.
They may be able to just do a cheap patch job fix and save the tooth, Then go back in some time when you have money to make it pretty and permanent.
If for some reason it is not savable they can pull it. If it is badly cracked pulling it for a dentist should be straight forward. But if trying your self run the risk of breaking it more and not good.
Unlike a cut that can heal on its own a tooth will not.

The Pig
I know you want to be me
Premium
join:2009-09-11
reply to Logan 5

What do you think killed most of the cavemen?
Yep, aching/rotting teeth.
The pain never stops!

join:2009-06-12
reply to Logan 5

Most dentist will pull a tooth for $150. If it's a molar you won't miss it.

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
join:2000-01-13

1 recommendation

reply to The Pig

Cavemen? Most people didn't live past their 30's or 40's until the 1900's, and even then people's income was connected to their quality of health care for what was available.

Even in today's world the expense of healthcare prevents people from getting the help they need due to it's insanely high costs, and it's proven fact the rates they charge people without insurance are higher than those who have insurance.

If you are insured the costs per month are very high to maintain, and they usually don't even kick in unless it's something major after you have spend so much money already, along with they might have a cap on how much they will pay out. In the end if you were to save this amount of money per month yourself, you would be ahead in most cases if you got the same rates as those with insurance, but since you don't they screw you by charging you at least double for the same procedures. There are those who actually saved money by having insurance, but those are major proceedures only, or ongoing treatments. If they just charged everyone the same, people could get the healthcare they need.
--
My hourly rates:
$25 per hour.
$35 per hour if you want to watch.
$45 per hour if you want to help.
$75 per hour if you tried to fix it, and failed.
$125 per hour if you called tech support, and didn't fix the issue while making things worse

porkpie
No Pork For 40 Days

join:2001-05-28
Cleveland, OH
reply to Logan 5

Check out the Health Clinics in your area, most go by the % of what you make, so the most you might pay would be about $20. a month
You might have to pay 20.00 for the office visit
--
Love my pork---Give me some skin Man!!

Locutus65
Why bother?
Premium
join:2001-05-24
Houston, TX
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Logan 5

You could try what Tom Hanks did in Castaway, put an object such as a screwdriver (or in his case the blade of an ice skate) against the tooth and whack it with a rock. Not suggested though. Looked pretty damned painful.
--
The only thing we have to fear is Fear itself...... and spiders.

Packeteers
Premium
join:2005-06-18
Forest Hills, NY
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Logan 5

Logan, try to get to a Dental college where students can
at least xray, clean, and do a temporary filling or collar.

the issue is not the root dying or even your pain,
it's how deep in your gum an infection may start.

an infection could effect your gums, even your jaw,
so instead of a simple root canal and cap, the entire
tooth may need to be removed and screws put into
your jaw in order to hold another artificial tooth.

keep in mind circulation from your jaw goes right to your heart.
yes, people do die from heart complications started in their jaw.

koma3504
Advocate
Premium
join:2004-06-22
North Richland Hills, TX
reply to Logan 5

Go to the liguer store and get a big bottle of rumplemintz.

take a big swig and soak it on the tooth a long a you can it will burn. but it will provide ome relief. after then burn weres off repeat. it might take up to a week to kill the nerve. this will be temporary first hint of it returning repeat above.

Maybee not the prefered method but it should work till you can get the insurance.
--
† Koma †
If YOu Don't Think It's Possable!! It's Acually A Reality!!The best way to predict the future is to invent it. Alan Kay!!
Ya Don't Know The signal Till Ya Ride It!!
Voice Break's There's Trouble!!!!

N10Cities
Premium
join:2002-05-07
Fort Smith, AR
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·World Lynx
reply to Packeteers

said by Packeteers:

Logan, try to get to a Dental college where students can
at least xray, clean, and do a temporary filling or collar.

the issue is not the root dying or even your pain,
it's how deep in your gum an infection may start.

an infection could effect your gums, even your jaw,
so instead of a simple root canal and cap, the entire
tooth may need to be removed and screws put into
your jaw in order to hold another artificial tooth.

keep in mind circulation from your jaw goes right to your heart.
yes, people do die from heart complications started in their jaw.
Agreed....I had a co-worker die from an abcessed socket. Guy was in perfect health otherwise, but let the bad tooth go too long.

jester121
Premium
join:2003-08-09
Lake Zurich, IL
reply to BlitzenZeus

said by BlitzenZeus:

and it's proven fact the rates they charge people without insurance are higher than those who have insurance.
Your so-called "proven fact" is 100% made up. I've been uninsured and paid cash for both dental medical care and actually, you'd be surprised how much you can save when the doctor knows you're paying for it out of pocket. Sure, the negotiated fees they charge some insurance companies may be lower for routine exams, but they won't pad the bill with "reasonable and customary" stuff that they'd get away with for insurance reimbursement.

ThirdShifter
Premium
join:2002-03-16
Bronx, NY

1 edit
reply to Logan 5

I've had similar experience .A corn kernel slotted itself between the fluffy popcorn and yikes! One of the upper back tooth was its victim. The tooth broke into two piece (or so i thought).

However, upon the free Dr inspection (singapore has a great free healthcare) He strongly disagreed with my notion of "please just take it out!"

He went in there and cleaned it up, grind it up and patched it up. After 2 week, when the patch harden, I was back for him to put something more comfortable and to rebuilt the other half of the tooth so it'll be usable to chew again..

That was 6 years ago still works perfect!

It was free and quick.

workablob

join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to jester121

said by jester121:

said by BlitzenZeus:

and it's proven fact the rates they charge people without insurance are higher than those who have insurance.
Your so-called "proven fact" is 100% made up. I've been uninsured and paid cash for both dental medical care and actually, you'd be surprised how much you can save when the doctor knows you're paying for it out of pocket. Sure, the negotiated fees they charge some insurance companies may be lower for routine exams, but they won't pad the bill with "reasonable and customary" stuff that they'd get away with for insurance reimbursement.
I second the "100% made up" stand.

My Wife and MIL go to a Chiropractor and he bills them 20 bux a visit if they pay cash since our insurance only pays here and there. I can guarantee when insurance pays it is in the 100s of dollars.

He bills insurance every visit but they only pay a few.

Dave

Bobcat79
Premium
join:2001-02-04

2 edits
reply to Logan 5

Every time I postpone dental work for whatever reason, I'm sorry I did. It's much better to get it done right away.

The other folks are correct when they say a gum infection (bacteria) can spread to your heart and attack the valves so you have permanent heart damage or even die.

EDIT: If you had a regular dentist, he'd probably comp it or at least give you several months to pay. My father told his dentist he couldn't afford $3000+ for some needed bridge work, so the dentist did it for free.

capecoddah

join:2005-03-18
Yarmouth Port, MA
reply to Logan 5

Another vote for a quick look by a dentist. Really.

Just be glad someone isn't asking "Is it safe?"

Desdinova
Premium
join:2003-01-26
Gaithersburg, MD

2 edits

2 recommendations

Is it safe?

About twenty years ago I was in the waiting room at my dentist and I was reading The Marathon Man. So far as I knew, the only person who saw me was the receptionist. She told me I could go into the dentist's office and when I did, the only light that was on was a desk lamp at the back of the room...very moody and dramatic with lots of shadows.

I sat down in the chair which faced away from the door and a minute later the dentist walked in behind me and asked very softly, "Is it safe?"

Creeped me out quite a bit.

Then he laughed and said, "Sorry. I saw you reading in the waiting room and I've always wanted to ask a patient that!"

nonymous
Premium
Glendale, AZ
reply to Logan 5

You can put off teeth cleaning. Teeth do not get colds or flu. Teeth for most just seem to work. However, when something goes wrong they need checked. Unlike a cold or flu most things with teeth have no chance of self healing and get worse.
We are used to putting off seeing doctors for minor things to see if they pass. Usually all is well and they do. However, teeth which happen way less often than a cold tend as said not to fix themselves and only get worse.
Even a cracked rib will heal itself fine if not too bad.

c4junk
Premium
join:2004-05-08
Orlando, FL
reply to Logan 5

It seem one of the things I've always heard is that an infected tooth can cause heart damage ?? so be careful, they also make temporary caps you might look into - but I would see a dentist.

Warzau
Premium
join:2000-10-26
Naperville, IL

Actually tartar contribute to heart disease, infected tooth leads to dead. If it gets abscessed the infection can spread to the brain just because of the close proximity, also it can cause a heart attack.

Like other have mentioned find a college or talk to a dentist, explain that you will have benefits soon, but this problem occurred, Im sure they will work with you. If not go to the next one. Good luck.

hortnut
Huh?

join:2005-09-25
PNW
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Logan 5

I agree with all the others to find some way to see a Dentist, as in the long run more damage can be done and costs could be higher.

I did crack off one side of a tooth once and used a 'patch' like this [there are other similiar products]-
»www.walgreens.com/store/catalog/···-product

Until I could get into my Dentist later in the week.
--
Darn, its gettin that time to go to Wallymart to gits me picture taken agin.

Big Time
Pull My Finger
Premium
join:2002-10-19
Washington
reply to Locutus65

said by Locutus65:

You could try what Tom Hanks did in Castaway, put an object such as a screwdriver (or in his case the blade of an ice skate) against the tooth and whack it with a rock. Not suggested though. Looked pretty damned painful.
One of the few things I've ever seen in a movie that gave me the shivers. Even now just the thought of trying that....blah! *gak*
--
There are times when I look at people and I see nothing worth liking.

NOCMan
MacChatter
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Colorado Springs, CO
reply to Logan 5

Infection can cause you to lose your jaw or all the teeth if it does not kill you. Get it fixed, capital one has a dental finance plan.